Just A Little Bit Further 2013

741 to 760 of 3,637 messages
07/02/2013 at 09:03

Morning all.  Question if I may.  I was in the gym this morning (working from home, out at the usual time just to the gym rather than the station ) and did a 5k run on the treadmill.  I'd set the speed at 10kph, and had to walk 100m at the halfway point.  Having done the walk, I picked straight back up again and started back at the 10kph, completing the 5k in about 30 minutes or so.  By 'Eck's advice was to drop the speed back a bit and don't take the break, whereas my thoughts are to keep going at the current pace, trying to push the break further and further out until I don't need one.  Last time I think I needed 2 breaks, and the first was after 2km, so I think my plan is working.  Any other thoughts on how I should be doing it?

Thanks

07/02/2013 at 09:14

you are a brave man to question your wife's advice

well, I would say that you should be running at a pace that you could have a conversation at. And it depends why you felt the need to stop for a break - was it because you honestly couldn't continue moving at that pace, or was it because mentally you felt like a break? it can be hard to figure out sometimes - I often have a walk break, for all sorts of reasons - have a drink; break it up a bit; just feel like it. I don't think my breaks are ever really because I didn't feel that I could actually keep moving at the same pace

07/02/2013 at 09:17

Brave or foolish - I tend to err on the foolish side.  I wasn't at physical breaking point.  I was at the 'I need a break to see me through the next 2.5k' point.  More of a pacing mechanism than an 'I'm going to fall over now' point.

07/02/2013 at 09:23

if it is pacing, then you need to go slower for the whole run. try putting it on 9.5km/h next time

07/02/2013 at 09:33
(chocolate on its way to MC)
07/02/2013 at 09:36

07/02/2013 at 10:25

Mmmm.... I have to say I agree with the other ladies. Drop the speed so you don't need a break and then begin increasing speed.

Byeck - hope Moo's appointment goes well today.

Chocolate Chip Cookies anyone? They taste far too good and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to end up eating them all myself.

07/02/2013 at 10:43
Oooooo, yes please
07/02/2013 at 11:37

Mr byeck- I think the ladies are correct - sad to say . Not that I am very good at take it slowly!

byeck-Well done on your 5 miler and fingers crossed for Moo.

MC-Well done on your core workout. Hope that knee gets better.

Managed 7.1 miles this morning,biy of hill work and speed work chucked in. 23 miles this week so far.

Have a good day everyone....; 

07/02/2013 at 11:46
mathschick wrote (see)

RR - hope you aren't too sore this morning

did a little gentle turbo and some core this morning, not hard enough to be training, but good enough to stop me from moping around

Nope, not too bad.

Some muscles are more sore than others: left hamstring much more noticeable than right, both forearms, both shoulders, one bicep more so than the other.  Stuff like that.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 13:56
07/02/2013 at 14:25

Afternoon

Mr By'eck...I agree wiv the others  well done

AF...well done on your 7 hilly miles

RR...seems you have had a good workout

By'eck...well done on your run yesterday and good luck with Moo at dieticians.Hope you get your run in tonight.

Hellooooooooooooooooo everyone else

Well I went out and did my 9 miles which is my Long run for this week. Cranking up the miles again for my 4rth Marathon. Plan seems to be going well so far.

07/02/2013 at 15:44
Fab running everyone!!
Moo has put on 150g in the last 2 weeks despite taking nearly 1000calories less each day. This would suggest he ddoesnt tolerate cows milk protein. We review it again in 3 weeks. He does need some supplements because he doesn't have much calcium in his diet.

I'm still planning a run tonight but want some advice. Last night was hilly at pace. Do I do a flat 5 miles, some speedwork or more hills. Tomorrow is my lsr
07/02/2013 at 16:18

Well dne Moo.....I would suggest flat 5 miles easy pace By,eck..you really shouldn't do speedwork after hilly paced run or before your LSR.

07/02/2013 at 16:47
That is what I thought Franny. Flat being relative - only a 70m climb over 5 miles...
07/02/2013 at 16:48

I've just found this programme:

Dumbell Workout

For dumbells only!  Dumbell weights that is, not the people using them.

And for anyone wondering why the heck they're called 'dumbells' (like me):

Why are they called Dumbells?

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 16:51
07/02/2013 at 18:01

RR - I'll look at that workout when I have a minute, I need to do some weights while I can't do much with this damn knee. Ought to go swimming but I am shattered, so going to stay home and have an early night. Will probably try another turbo tomorrow and see if the knee objects. Will ice it when I have finished cooking for the kids

brill news that moo has put on some weight can he have goats milk? My mum always used to swear by it, and in fact we kept goats when I was a kid so we had loads of it

by eck - definitely just an easy run or you will end up injured

07/02/2013 at 19:11

Excellent news about Moo

Enjoy your run Byeck

Well done Franny and RR and everyone else.

I have done another 9 miles on the bike, and a pilates class today. Hope my legs recover ready for the LSR tomorrow. Have to say, my family are finding it very amusing that I am falling asleep at the dinner table.

07/02/2013 at 19:52
Goats milk contains lactose, albeit in low concentrations. He is incredibly sensitive to the stuff he can't have so we have to avoid even tiny amounts.

I did 3.5 miles in 32 minutes. It wasn't at all flat. I just found myself halfway up a particularly nasty hill and thought 'oh well'. To
08/02/2013 at 07:38

MOOOOOOOORNINGGGGGGGGGG ITS FRIDAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

PARTAY PARTAY PARTAY! *shimmies around* *shake shake shake shake shake ya booty shake ya booty shake ya booty*

ooo sorry ive missed so much- crap internet reception and busy .

mr byeck * stands in military regimented PT instructor pose* ......i have to agree with the others and say that i order to build the stamina first then you may need to forgo the speed. walk before you can run soldier...if you knw what i mean...or run slowly before you can run fast in this case.....

08/02/2013 at 07:39

good news about Moo!!!!!!!!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.