Last minute Half Marathon

3 messages
17/09/2012 at 17:57

I'm due to run a half-marathon in three weeks time but I was holiday for the last two weeks and didn't run at all. Before that, I was running three times a week with some speed training but my longest run was 6 miles. Can I get away with a ten miler this weekend and taper down before the half, or am I mad to even attempt it? I did do the London marathon in April but at a very slow five-and-a-half hours. Any advice welcome! 

17/09/2012 at 18:37

Depending on your overall fitness you will get round, how easy you find it remains to be seen. I would advise that you run it very slowly and even adopt a run walk strategy.

You probably don't need to taper as you should be well restyed now and you won't be racing. Just treat it as a long run or a fun event. If you ran 10 miles for your long runs over the next 2 weeks running 13 miles on the day won't be a problem. You won't be racing.

You don't need to taper before a long run so just treat it as a long run not a race.

I didn't taper before my first marathon, I ran 24 and 18,5 milers the week before and ran it as a LSR @ 9m/m pace.

Just remember to take it easy and have fun. Don't push too hard and you'll be fine.

21/09/2012 at 19:38
Thanks very much for the advice T Mouse. I think i'm going to skip this one, and train properly for another one in the future. For now, I'm going to stick to 5 and 10ks!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.