Leg strength training

21 to 24 of 24 messages
22/01/2013 at 15:23

20 reps at a certain weight is into endurance training area

I imagine that if you get them too big it may effect any long distance running you are doing as it will be the wrong sort of muscle, but if you get the weight right to the point that you can do 12 reps but the last 2 or 3 are an effort then that should build a little size. Just dont over do it!

(i used to do weight training 3 times a week some years ago, and whilst not being a body builder myself, the cheapest gym in the area was one that a lot of power lifters and body builders used. All the power lifters used to do Maximum weight for 1 or 2 reps, and the body builders did 10-12 reps with the last few being an effort) Above that, eg 20 or 30 reps with lower weights builds endurance muscle, which of course is not big!)

22/01/2013 at 15:33

Absolutely - I don't want to end up with 'thunder thighs' - that just wouldn't suit the rest of my build.  And of course, the rest of the body has to go along at the same pace as well: you're always hearing about guys who overdo the upper body stuff and neglect the legs, leading to a rather amusing looking build!!  Or guys who overdo the chest stuff and neglect the back work, leading to that slightly hunched over look.

22/01/2013 at 15:38

haha! the guys do tend to overlook their upper halves yes, and women are the opposite. Thats supposedly because men are weaker in their lower half than in their upper half and so its more difficult (and so easier to neglect!) and vice versa for women!

thunder thighs are probly ok if you are Chris Hoy but dont look so good on a runner!

22/01/2013 at 17:04

I'm not that tall either, so it wouldn't be a good look for me.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.