Long run 'hangover'

13 messages
02/07/2007 at 12:44
I do a long run (normally around 13 miles) every sunday and feel pretty ill after it, sometimes taking until Monday afternoon to feel normal again.

I sip water and drink 500ml SIS GO prior to the run and take a small bottle of SIS GO and a couple of gels during the run. When I'm home I drink 500ml (or 1 litre) of SIS REGO and tons of water. I try and eat something not too long afterwards and have a evening meal as normal.

I still seem to feel like I'm hungover the rest of Sunday and some of Monday and wondered if there something else I can do to feel better.

The Sunday run is normally on the back of 5 days consecutive training (Runs, Gym & Thai Boxing) as Monday is my rest night so I could be overtraining, but I think this feels different.

Any comments most welcome
Stump    pirate
02/07/2007 at 12:58
Run slower, see how it feels.

Sounds like you are burning out
The Silent Assassin    pirate
02/07/2007 at 13:11
Over re-hydration could be a problem.

Weigh yourself before you go out and then on return the difference is the amount of fluid you have lost and just need to replace that weight

Or try changing for rest days and see if that makes a difference, how hard are you training Tuesday - Saturday, try taking a rest day on Saturday and a recovery run on Monday.

02/07/2007 at 18:16
Cheers guys

Schedule is something like this:

Mon = Rest
Tue = Muay Thai
Wed = Gym
Thur = Run (10k or hill or speed session)
Fri = Gym or Muay Thai
Sat = Hard gym session
Sun = Long Run

Could be the Sat gym session followed by the run is just too much

I'm losing about 5lbs on the long run - I wonder what would that equate to in electrolyte drink?
02/07/2007 at 18:41
What do you eat on Saturday night/Sunday morning Richard? Do you have enough carbs?
K9
02/07/2007 at 18:45
5lb is around 2.5kg = 2.5 litres lost approx
02/07/2007 at 18:55
Sat night food is not normally too carb-heavy except this Sat I went out for sushi so had mor carbs than normal in the rice and noodles but the result after the run was the same.

On Sun morn I'll eat a bowl of muesli with fruit and wholemeal toast with honey an hour or two before the run.

Re: the hydration I guess I'm replacing about the right amount with a couple of litre of GO before/during the run and a litre of REGO afterwards. Plus lots of water. Not really thought about over re-hydration before

When I used to go drinking I would always get terrible hangovers and just wonder if I'm just really prone to dehydration
02/07/2007 at 18:56
Kaz - we think alike

Richard In Pete Pfitzingers book Advanced Marathoning (page 41) he days you must drink 1½ times the weight you lose in lbs so if you are losing 5lbs you should drink 7½ pints of water (this does not include your normal daily allowance this is over several hours

02/07/2007 at 19:06
Aha

I think I need to buy a book! Guess I need to experiment with water levels and maybe taking it easier for a bit.

Anyone recommend any good body fat/hydration level scales? I wonder if this would be a good measurement of hydration in this context.

And I thought it was just about pulling on your trainers and legging down the road....

Cheers for all your help.
17/07/2007 at 15:35
HI
this happened to me while marathon training when i was building up milage - i had to go to bed after teh runs and felt ill and headachy. I felt like I had the most horrid hangeover of my life on my first 16 mile run... it was a combination of exertion but mostly dehydration.... eventually my body got used to it as i learned to drink more not on the day of the run but hte day before... am about to build up miles again now so will keep you posted - hopefully i have learned my lesson - drink more day before!
17/07/2007 at 16:19
2 litres of SIS GO is a maybe too much energy junk for you. Maybe dilute it more, take less or whatever. That stuff is both very good for you, and very bad for you.

19/07/2007 at 20:19
Yeah, I'd feel rough after drinking all that SIS!

When I get back from a long run, my stomach sometimes feels a bit rough and sicky as I've done nothing but consume fluids beforehand. I find a couple of Food Doctor bagels soak up the fluid/acid a treat and I can re-hydrate better then. I also get some protein down me with the bagels such as beef/chicken etc.

After having bananas etc before the run and fluid whilst on the go, I reckon you can't beat a good old solid meal when you get back.
20/07/2007 at 08:40
Richard

Try replacing the energy drink with diluted fruit juice or just plain water, and see what your stomach thinks...

Agree that altering your sched to rest the day before and eating a carb-rich meal the night before could be helpful.

And perhaps a very slow recovery run on the Monday?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.