Long runs in London

7 messages
23/06/2006 at 11:26
Hi, I just moved to London and hate to do the long runs alone. Are there any groups, or is anyone out there who is doing long (18-26 mile) runs on the weekends?
23/06/2006 at 11:28
Whereabout in London are you?

Serpentine Running club are usually recommended and they have circa 2000 members. (www.serpentine.org.uk)

However there are lots of other clubs which are very good.
23/06/2006 at 12:02
Thanks .... I'm between Notting Hill & Bayswater. I have connected with the Serpantine club - they are a great group and I will likely join for speed workouts, although it doesn't seem many of them are currently training for distances above Half Marathon. Are there other groups you'd recommend? It's the long runs I'm concerned about. They're so hard to do alone, and especially since I dont know the city that well yet. Thanks for the advice!
23/06/2006 at 12:04
I'm not in London so I can't help - sorry!

However one way I have done long runs is to run a few miles before joining a group, doing a run with them and then running home. This really helps by breaking th erun down into 3 journeys.
24/06/2006 at 12:45
The Serpies used to have an informal long distance running group that met up on Sundays - it was not part of the official club runs. I can't believe there is not still a similar group as the membership has a lot of marathons runners and tri-athletes.
24/06/2006 at 23:20
The Serpies are doing long runs in Richmond Prark on Sundays - people usually do 2 laps (14.4 miles) but there are people who do 3

They also do Do Youa longer run on Wednesday nights at aroufn 12 miles I think.

I'm a Serpie although have not done too many club runs. I find teh Sunday runs more friendly than the Wednesday ones - not that Wednesdays are unfriendly - it's just there are too many people for the group to welcome you as a whole
25/06/2006 at 14:13
Thanks Kieren. Your blog's funny too. I wonder if I saw you last Wednesday - I ran the Hampstead heath from Seymour. I would have been the "lost"-looking blonde girl (and only one with an American accent from what I heard). Maybe I'll see you this week.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.