Longest long run

4 messages
30/12/2002 at 22:16
I have been reeding through some of the current threads and it seems to be if you are training for a half marathon you should aim for your longest long run to be ideally about 15 miles. Looking at marathon training schedules the longest seems to be 21 miles. I personally would like to complete 26 miles in training before taking part in a marathon, what are your views?!
30/12/2002 at 22:40
Common wisdom seems to be that it's not a good idea once you get to the marathon distance, although it is for things like half marathons.

I think it's partly because running that far puts too much strain on your body to do it just before doing it "for real".

Paula Radcliffe was interviewed, and I can't remember the precise distance of her longest run, but it wasn't over 22 miles, and it may well have "only" been 20.
30/12/2002 at 23:16
I would tend to agree with Iain. Unless you do 26 miles + on a regular basis it would probably be counter productive to run this far. If you can do 22 or 23 miles when you are in the middle of a heavy training programme then doing 26.2 miles should be a doddle when you've tapered for 2 or 3 weeks!
31/12/2002 at 13:00
Thanks guys, if its good enough for Paula its good enough for me!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.