Lucozade Sport Super Six: keep going lass

21 to 40 of 741 messages
23/07/2008 at 21:21
Hope you had fun shopping KGL - personally I swear by it as effective cross-training!!
24/07/2008 at 11:26

Good morning ..... I'm back from my "easy" run scheduled for yesterday of 55 minutes. 

Bit of a contradiction in terms as I actually found it quite hard today, I found the speed session on Tuesday much easier, but perhaps it is the effort on Sunday that has caught up with me ..... and the late nights I've been having since then.  

Went out fairly early before it got too warm and did run for the full 55 mins without stopping, I even ran past my front door for a minute at the end and doubled back to make sure I passed the 55 minutes mark!

However, I had difficulty with pacing today.  It took 3 miles for my legs to "thaw out" and get into what felt like a steady rhythem but before then, my pace moved eratically from between 10:00 and 11:30 mm,  although my split times don't seem to indicate that.  

Covered just under 5 miles with an average pace of 11:13 overall , so a bit slower than I needed but in view of my fatigue, I decided it was probably more important to focus on the word "easy" rather than "pace" this time! .  

The important thing is though that I did it, so I should put it behind me and look forward to the next one......not every run is going to feel great.

Here are my mile splits:

Mile 1 - 11:18

MIle 2 - 11:09

Mile 3 - 10:56

Mile 4 -  10:59

Mile 5 - 10:57  (4.93 miles covered)

Lesson learned from today ..... get some early nights!

Will have a look at what everyone else has been doing a bit later ... the sun is shining so I think a long cool drink (non alcoholic of course!) and a deckchair in the garden is in order ......

24/07/2008 at 11:45

that's good running in the heat, especially if you felt tired.

Garmin's sometimes do give erratic readings on the watch display while recording ok and I suspect your pace was actually as smooth as the splits.

24/07/2008 at 11:56
Nice one KGL, I'm with you on the yo-yo ing pace, I seem to spend the first few miles of most runs with my pace wandering back & forth between too fast & too slow. But once you get into a rhythm it's so much more comfortable. Hopefully as your runs get longer, you'll find it becoming more normal - that's what I think I'm beginning to see myself now anyway.
24/07/2008 at 14:22

Good running in this heat.. Its breezy but warm and muggy here. Your splits will also be affected by the lay of the land, even small steady uphills affect your pace hence your split. I know my miles 2 to 3 are going to be a slower split because of the route I take climbs in places with a steady half mile climb between those points.

24/07/2008 at 16:05

Steve - I use a polar RS200 sports watch with the foot pod but I expect the same applies.   I've also recalibrated it so I have to run further to get the same mileage now  .  It's more accurate based on my mapping of the route when I got back.  I think my running style must have changed a little .

Thanks for your encouaging words Ros and Tony - strangely enough Tony , the mile with the hill in it was the fastest and always tends to be .    I think because I have quite a stong base fitness now, I am able to attack the hills and speed up a little - it's the small gradients that I suffer with!

25/07/2008 at 07:42

Hi Tracy,

Congratulations on getting selected it seems an amazing experience.

I will be trying to get a few tips from your thread as I have been running the same time at a similar speed and need to know how to improve. So far I have just been putting one foot in front of the other so getting some tips on the trchnical side of training will be great.

25/07/2008 at 10:42

HI Tracy

I often have problems with my Garmin, they are a great tool but I can often be found shouting " I know I'm going faster than that" or " Wow, look at me", I could try and calculate the pace form my times and distance but I can't even add up 2 + 2 when I'm running.

Next scheduled run is tommorrow,  going with my running partner at 7.30am for 90 minutes steady and I get a rest on Sunday and Monday, shall need it for the planned speed session Tuesday, should hopefully be fresh enough by then to give it a good try.

Have a good week-end. Sue

25/07/2008 at 10:54

Hi Richard  -

Putting one foot in front of the other is a good start

We will see how things develop over the next few weeks but already, I am finding that I am more inclined to get out there and increase the number of runs I am doing, now I am under the watchful eye of so many!    I am sure we will all learn a lot from the expert advice offered.

On a personal level, I have found that plenty of core stability and strength work over the last 6 months has help my running enormously.  It has improved not only my leg and uppoer body strength but also reduced the amount of effort required to keep putting one foot in front of the other as I'm not wasting energy going sideways because of lack of control!  

I'm also told it helps prevent injury and I for one would rather do the additional work to prevent injury than have to do it to deal with injury! 

I have a session with my trainer this lunchtime so depending on what he has planned for me, I'll see if I can find a willing volunteer to take some video footage  to give you an idea of the kind of things you might like to try. 

In the meantime, keep going and remember, "the difference between success and failure is determination!"

debbo    pirate
25/07/2008 at 10:59

KGL - yes, garmins do give erratic readings - I used to have one but it got stolen off a window ledge while it was finding a signal, so now I just measure on gmaps

I did Bryan the Snail's session with him last night and even though we were running at a fairly consistent pace his gps was jumping all over the place - we were aiming for 10 minute miles, and managed 9.57 despite what his gps kept telling him!

25/07/2008 at 21:28

Hi everyone,

Here is a snippet of video footage of my training today, my "camerawoman" very kindly took lots of short clips so I'll drip feed them over the course of the next few days as it is taking ages to get them uploaded....

This snippet is one of the core exercise I did that you can try at home - don't be fooled - its not as easy as my trainer makes it look, as you'll see!   

Hope it works!  

find it here!

Edited: 25/07/2008 at 21:31
25/07/2008 at 21:31

Hi K.G.L.

I am looking forward to the movie ,it may give me some ideas. I have thought about my last one - some thing along the lines of Reggie Perrin .

Having a bit of trouble with these knees I've borrowed off a 98yr old neighbour. I wonder if my 8yr old will let me use her legs for the next 10 wks.

Don't let the 8min miles fool you I am a long way off keeping that pace for longer than half an hour. The 55 mins non stop you did is awesome .

Have a great weekend

D.T.

25/07/2008 at 22:01

and now for something completely different ......   (getting the hang of this now!!) 

view it here

25/07/2008 at 22:05

Well done with the videos & training KLG

good to see

25/07/2008 at 23:18

Ah - great to see you managed to get the vids uploaded

Well done with your training so far, and all the best for the next 10 weeks!  

25/07/2008 at 23:48

Those medicine ball exercises look rough KGL.
Oops, still haven't done those crunches you ordered.

25/07/2008 at 23:54

Look at my little student - photos and videos on the thread.

Congrats with the training hun

25/07/2008 at 23:56

Teachers pet me SM!!   

26/07/2008 at 11:01

Long run today that is scheduled for tomorrow but my OH wanted to come with me I moved it to this morning so we could fit it in before he goes off to work.

Went out at about 8.45 am and it was already very warm.   As it was so early, I hadn't had any breakfast so I had one of the energy bars from the lucozade pack which was ok but a bit sweet.

The route I chose started with a steady incline for about a quarter mile, which I always find tough but didn't seem as bad today, then a flat half mile or so along a country lane that has recently been resurfaced so it's nice and easy on the feet.  This leads to a killer bridge - the kind that lorries get stuck on the top of because it has such a sharp gradient - that bit never gets any easier!  Drop down onto the canal which covers more than half the total distance and again nice and flat.   OH was competely disorientated and hadn't got a clue where he was.  That's why I like that route because you get to see the local areas from a completely different perspective and there are no traffic fumes....

Turned off the canal and onto a nature trail so running along a barked surface amongst the trees provided some welcome shade and brought us out onto a grassy playing field and then onto the road for just over a mile.  

My programme said 65-75 minutes and a discussion with Steve last week identified that I could maybe do longer than that this week (75-85 minutes) as the long run prior to receipt of the schedule was 80 minutes. When we reached our front door, we had been running with no stops for an hour and 2 minutes, so hubby turned in and I continued on another loop, just under a mile and a half to get me closer to the bigger target.

End result - time on feet -  one hour 20 minutes, all but 8 seconds.   Distance covered - 7.11 miles, average pace 11:13, so at the "faster" end of Steve's suggested range and my fastest mile was the last one perhaps indicating that I could have gone on?    

Enjoyed it today, my legs felt better than Thursday and I got into a steady rhythem fairly quickly with no aches or pains to speak of.    Pleased wtih my average heart rate at 155 bpm which is low for me, indicating that I was coping with the heat and the endurance fairly well.  (23 degrees when I got back).   Tried the sports recovery drink and was pleasantly surprised - it's like frothy orange juice and went down quite nicely.  Need to do tempo run tomorrow to round off the first week of Steve's programme but I have run 17 miles this week already which is the most I have ever done over the course of a single week so I will pass 20 miles tomorrow...  

Off to do my stretches now...... good decision getting up early ..... it's gonna be hot out there today .... take care everyone if you are running....

Mile splits: 

Mile 1 - 11:34

Mile 2 - 11:07

Mile 3 - 11:16

Mile 4 - 11:09

Mile 5 - 11:12

MIle 6 - 11:04

Mile 7 - 10:47

Remainder - 1:40

Edited: 26/07/2008 at 11:10
BryanTheSnail (M.)    pirate
26/07/2008 at 16:37

Hi Tracy

Your training seems to be going really well.  I am concerned that your objective was 2:15 and you already seem to be faster than me. I suppose somebody has to come last out of the group and by the looks of things it's going to be me.

I am impressed with the camera work - you certainly seem to be the David Bailey of the group.  I see you have also managed to get yourself an avatar now - I just can't decide whether it is a Bay City Roller, young Rod Stewart or Mick Ronson.

I will keep an eye on your progress but won't be posting too often as I am househunting in Engerlandshire next week - I will be starting a new job not too far from you sometime about the beginning of September.

21 to 40 of 741 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.