Lucozade Sport Super Six: keep going lass

141 to 160 of 741 messages
05/08/2008 at 15:09

Sorry.  Even for a Marathon, Five would be an ordeal.

Two hours 15 to two hours 30 should suffice for the very longest run for a half marathon. If possible, I think it is good to go slightly overdistance but run slower, and more relaxed to build confidence, endurance and work on conecentration and hydrating on the run etc

I think the theory will be to gradually build up the Sunday run, with a few shorter, sharper training runs or races, every few weeks.

05/08/2008 at 15:31

Well done Tracy,

Your run on Sunday after all that training was brilliant, I'd have still been in the coffee shop.  I could do with a nice young personal trainer like yours.

Bit of a relief not having to fit in a 5 hour run. I mis-read my schedule this morning and was ready to put an extra 100m on every rep. good job my friend was paying attention, she was'nt happy about doing the extra.

Videos coming soon, nothing has energetic as yours though, just having a few technical problems with my computer.

05/08/2008 at 21:05

The biggest challenge today was working out how much I needed to increase the treadmill speed in kph in order to run an interval 5 seconds faster than the one before!   (it's around  0.3 if anyone needs to know for their own training!) 

The second biggest challenge was trying to remember what number km, I needed to reach in order to reach the 400 mark in case I missed the lap beat of my watch because my music was so loud I couldn't hear it!     (apologies to the young man on the treadmill next to me  who had to suffer me singing along -  I didn't notice until it was too late that he didn't actually have any ear phones in himself!)    

I'll write the numbers on a post it note next time and stick it to the screen!

I positioned myself on a treadmill next to the window to the studio so I could longingly watch the boxercise going on whilst I was running.  It is my week to miss it in the name of running - my ultimate sacrifice until after GNR.   I did however get a boxing fix in my training on Sunday, some of which you will see when Catherine puts my "feature length"  training diary on the site .....   I understand it is on its way .....

Edited: 05/08/2008 at 21:15
05/08/2008 at 21:11
well done. I'll make it even more complicated next time and then it'll feel like you finished before you even started
05/08/2008 at 21:16

hang on Steve - I haven't finished yet!!  ............... 

Steve's amendment to my schedule called  for 2 sets of 5 X 400 metre intervals, starting at 2:30 (10 minute miles) with a minute recovery between each -"push it on the last two",  he said, "if you don't feel flat out at the end of the previous set......."   

"So", I said to myself,  "let's see just how fast I can go......"

The first 5 intervals passed without incident and seemed fairly gently, however, I took the rest that Steve prescribed between the first and second set and slowed down my recovery speed to a slow walking pace for 4 minutes, mainly because that would start my next set on a round number and therefore less maths!

Started the second set of intervals back at the 10 min mile pace and pushed the speed up a little further as I entered into the second and third intervals.   By the time I got to what turned out to be the fourth interval, I was running at a significantly faster speed, partly because I thought it was the last interval and pushed it higher still for the second half so I was running closer to "flat out", finishing that interval on 13.6 kph.   Slowed down for my recovery and then started to doubt how many I'd done.... is it 4 or 5?

Well, I'd rather do 11 than 9, so off I went again for the final push, cranked up the speed, turned the music up - GO!     Lucky I did cos that one was actually number 5 of the second set!!

Next post .... the numbers.......

Edited: 05/08/2008 at 21:37
05/08/2008 at 21:34

10 minutes easy -  converted that to three 400 metre  laps so that the lap segments were accurate --

Warm up:

Lap 1 -  3:21         Avge HR - 130

Lap 2 - 3:04          Avge HR - 142

Lap 3 - 3:04          Avge HR - 145

Intervals - 1st Set:

Lap 1  - 2:29         Avge HR - 156

Lap 2 - 2:25          Avge HR - 153

Lap 3 - 2:22         Avge HR -   158                       (oops - that one went a bit wrong!)

Lap 4 - 2:14         Avge HR -    160

Lap 5 - 2:12        Avge HR -     167                        (oops - so did that one!)

4 minutes walk at 4.4 kph

Intervals - 2nd Set  

Lap 1 - 2:30      Avge HR -  148

Lap 2 - 2:24      Avge HR - 154

Lap 3 - 2:06     Avge HR - 164

Lap 4 - 1:58     Avge HR - 158

Lap 5 - 1:54    Avge HR - 162 

Easy laps

Lap 1 - 2:56       Avge HR -  145

Lap 2 - 2:59       Avge HR - 150

Lap 3 - 2:58      Avge HR -  152

Total time on treadmill - 60 minutes.    

Easy run tomorrow - 65 mins ....  Looking forward to it ... 

Edited: 05/08/2008 at 21:39
05/08/2008 at 21:58
A whole hour on a treadmill???? I can think of nothing worse!
05/08/2008 at 22:08

Seemed much less and it gives me the speed discipline and the chance to have my music on .... REALLY LOUD!! 

Nx
05/08/2008 at 22:30
What do you listen to? must be good to keep you going like that for an hour.
05/08/2008 at 22:35

... stuff that I find exhilerating ..... 

05/08/2008 at 22:38
Great confidence boosting last couple of reps there Tracy. No stopping you now!! Good effort on the Treadmill too... last time I tried any speedy stuff on one of those contraptions I almost fell off it!!! I don't care much for them as you can imagine Still at least you keot dry! I got a bit of a soaking at lunchtime today!!
06/08/2008 at 00:40

Great running - next time we'll have to see if you can start with a 1:54 rep and get quicker!

Overall very encouraging - showing surprising speed but also good disclipline and you got quicker on each rep and the last three were blinding - not sure why your heart rate was higher than on the last two where you were much, much quicker.

I can see the benefits of doing that session on a treadmill but couldn't do it myself.

06/08/2008 at 06:56

perhaps a particularly good song came on that was particularly more exhilerating than the others! 

I'll check it in case I've mistyped.....

06/08/2008 at 15:34

My long awaiting film debut is now showing on my profile page - have a look! 

I'd be interested in any comments anyone would like to make so I can decide whether it's worth spending the time doing another one at the end of week 4  

06/08/2008 at 17:02

WOW!! WOW!! and thrice WOW! That's brilliant Tracy!! I was bobbing along to Bon Jovi there... you can really see the blood, sweat and tears in that clip! Excellent stuff.

The benchmark has been set and set blooming high

Nx
06/08/2008 at 21:33
Fantastic..well done you! What an inspiration you really are...thank you
06/08/2008 at 22:01

Grrreat Vid Tracy. Very inspirational, makes me feel decrepit. You certainly chose the right name with keep going lass but do you ever stop?

Well done!  DT.

06/08/2008 at 22:05
Oooh, cool video. Didn't realise they updated the article, must go check mine out!
06/08/2008 at 23:22
Another hard "easy" run tonight ... will report on it in the morning .....     
07/08/2008 at 06:36

Things started off well on lat night's run .   I found it relatively easy in as much as my natural pace was quite a bit faster than I was supposed to be doing and a glance at my watch told me to slow down a number of times in the first mile, which I did, mindful of today's tempo run. After than, my watch kept telling me to speed up!!

I can now pretty much predict the 3 mle point  as it is at that point that my calves start to feel oiled and by 3.5 miles any initial stiffness and twinges have gone and the same applied tonight. 

Kept a relatively steady pace throughout although lost my stride a bit when I realised my route wasn't long enough to get the 65 minutes in so I added a slight diversion to make it longer and then had to divert again.  The last mile felt uncontrolled and lacked core stability, I was wobbling all over the place!   By the time the 65 minutes was up I'd had a enough,

That may have been though because I was running round in circles and  I was going out but needed to do my run first.   We were off to see some friends for a farewell barbeque as they are heading back to their home in France after a visit.. 

Here are the numbers:

MIle 1:  10:47        Avge hr - 150

Mile 2: 11:12         Ave hr - 155

Mile 3: 11:18         Avge hr - 153

MIle 4: 10:58         Avge hr - 155

Mile 5: 10:54         Avge hr - 153

Mile 6: 10:39         Avge hr - 156

Total mileage - 6,   Total time on feet - 66 mins.   A month ago, I would  have been calling what today is my "easy" run, my "long" run! 

I wonder if I find the easy run harder than I expect because I've done the speed session the day before and it therefore becomes a recovery run?    The tempo run seems easier as my legs feel fresher and  there is more of a spring in my stelp??     Who knows, but another one ticked off

Plenty of fluids today to compensate for the 3 large glasses of wine I had last night, bit of a thick head this morning!

Edited: 07/08/2008 at 06:39
141 to 160 of 741 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.