Lucozade Sport Super Six: Pleased of Higham

1 to 20 of 361 messages
21/07/2008 at 18:07

Introducing the third member of our Lucozade Sport Super Six… Pleased of Higham

The Great North Run has always been on Pleased of Higham's "must-do" race list, and this October she'll be going all out for a sub-1:45 finish.

Steve Smythe will coach Pleased of Higham directly on this thread and she’ll also be posting her training progress here on a regular basis. She’ll also feedback the fuel and hydration advice given to her by the team of sports scientists at Lucozade Sport so make sure you check back regularly to find out she gets on.

Feel free to ask questions and post messages of support, but please try not to hijack the thread.

You can read more about Pleased of Higham - and the rest of the team - by clicking on the article link at the top of this thread.

Otherwise, settle back and enjoy! 

Edited: 21/07/2008 at 18:13
21/07/2008 at 20:24

Congratulations on being chosen, PoH.

Enjoy the training, stay motivated and, with Steve's excellent advice, I'm sure you'll have a very successful race.

21/07/2008 at 23:56
Hi Sue , congratulations on being selected - it's been an exciting few days hasn't it but now reality hits and the work starts and I look forward to us comparing notes as the weeks progress.    Good luck!
22/07/2008 at 10:47

Hi Sezz

Thank you for your words of encouragement, I shall be needing that in bucket loads over the next ten weeks. I am really excited about the challenge ahead and happy that the news is now out.

Just come back from the first run on my training schedule, easy 55 minutes, and now it starts.

22/07/2008 at 12:57

Well done & congrats Sue

Hope to see/meet you & other 5 on Oct. 5th

I Will be on the front grid as well ( as an ever present ). Will be watching your progress with interest

good luck

22/07/2008 at 15:50

Well done Sue on being selected! Look forward to meeting you and reading about your training!!

22/07/2008 at 16:01

Hi Geordie Nick

Thank you for your well wishes and support.  I'll look forward to meeting you on the 5th.  It will certainly be a day to remember.

All the Best

Sue

22/07/2008 at 17:10

Congratulations, Sue, on getting into the team!

I'll be following your progress with "Speed Endurance" particularly, as that's a bit of a weak spot with me....

22/07/2008 at 21:47
Just dropping in to say hi!
23/07/2008 at 14:02

Hey PoH

Congratulations on getting in the Super Six. It is just starting to sink in. I hope we can all meet up some time soon. No news on meeting Liz but I hope there is some other opportunity for us all to meet.

Good luck with the training prog from Steve, looks tough.

Take care Dump Truck (Guy)

23/07/2008 at 14:47

Hi Sue

You kept this quiet! Does this mean an end to Thursday night 'run and cake'???

Kate

23/07/2008 at 15:53

Hi Kate

We were sworn secrecy.  Run and Cake are still on, we just have to run to my schedule !!??!!

I'll give you all the gossip when I see you.

Sue 

23/07/2008 at 16:11
Hi Joddly I think this speed endurance training is going to be tough.  I’m entering a 5k race tonight, I’m not expecting great results, it’s a really hot today, but it should be a good benchmark to start my training programme from. I’ll let you know how I get on Sue
23/07/2008 at 16:22
Good luck for your 5k. I'm going to see Mamma Mia instead!!!
23/07/2008 at 16:22

Hi CC2 and Dump Truck

Are'nt we lucky.

I'm just beginning to come back to earth and preparing myself for the hard work ahead.

Had a meeting with the lovely ladies from Lucozade yesterday, had to keep a food diary because of my erratic eating habits, quite good but I need to eat more fish and vegatables. The glasses of red wine were fine as they contain anti-oxidents and scumpy cider is acceptable too, all in moderation of course.(Told you they were lovely)

Hope we meet up soon and  look forward to chatting over the coming weeks.  Good Luck with your training plans.

Sue (PoH)

23/07/2008 at 16:25

Am I Last? (No your not, nowhere near)

Don't forget to sing along.

Running with Chris tonight  or trying too.

See you soon

23/07/2008 at 16:36

I'm glad that red wine is still allowed - phew!

Will be checking your progress very closely - aiming for 1.50 myself this year so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Chris should be a good pacer - will he be wearing his wetsuit???

23/07/2008 at 16:46
I wish !!
23/07/2008 at 18:02
Good luck with the 5K. let me know how it goes.
24/07/2008 at 18:26

Hi Steve

What a scorching evening, 5k consisted of running 2 1/2 times around a beautiful park, plenty of support as the sun was shining.

Delaying the result as you can see, achieved a not too exciting 23.52.07, according to my Garmin I ran an average 4.44km pace.  I really did find it quite tough particulalry in the heat. I made a real effort to hydrate during the day, drank Lucozade Body fuel before the race and made sure I ate something a couple of hours before.

Legs felt quite tired early on, I was hoping for things to improve mid race and I would be able to pick up my pace but it never happened.  Felt I managed to maintain a fairly constant speed though and was feeling optimistic until I spotted I was over 18 minutes at the 4 km mark. Recovered very quickly after the race and felt I could run some more, my pre-race warm up was probably a little light as I was concerned with the heat  that I might regret it during the race but perhaps I should have been brave enough to do more.

Having said all that I really enjoyed the race, there was a great , friendly atmosphere and it gives me a benchmark to judge my training effort over the coming weeks.

I shall be stepping out the door shortly for a 40 minute run which will include 10 minutes at half marathon pace (8  - 8-15), it's another warm evening so I'll take plenty of fluids.  Will report how I get on later.  Partner is coming along on his bike to encourage me.

1 to 20 of 361 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.