Male Vets Over 40 Discussion

21 to 40 of 297 messages
13/12/2010 at 11:06

this thread's for me!

started running in may and turned 40 in august. only done 3 races so far. a 5.5 mile road relay(averaged 6.40 ish min mile-can't remember time) and  5k and 9k hilly cross-country (19.50 and 35.32 respectively).

got the re-scheduled  norwich half-mara in march and G.E.A.R 10k in may as main goals.

got no idea what to expect for the half but would dearly love to break 40 minutes for my local 10k. hopefully, i can get some decent advice from you speedy oldies!!

13/12/2010 at 21:58

Hi DASH,

My first advice is you have lots of enjoyment and improvement to look forward to. In my first 10k race as a V40 (funnily enough a race for over 40's only, so I was a spring chicken) I was happy to run 40.01 (my best in 10 years). Gradually taking running more seriously since I've dropped 3+ minutes and had lots of fun along the way. Age is no barrier.

13/12/2010 at 22:04

Interesting thread...and whilst I'm a good 10 1/2 years off 40 , done a bit of lurking.

Have to say Dash, if you've done 35.32 on  a hilly 9k xc course, you should easily smash 40mins for 10k on the nice stable road! Can't see how you couldn't as you only need to maintain 4mins per k, and you've done that with 28secs to spare on a tough non road course!

Good luck..just pick the right course!

14/12/2010 at 14:56
I didn't start running until I was 40, and now as 48 looms large on the horizon I'm running faster than ever, largely I think because I've done full marathon training for the last 3 years. I finally cracked the good for age time this year with 3:11:37 at Brighton, but along the way I've broken PBs at 5k, 5 miles, 10k, 10 miles, half marathon, 20 miles and marathon each year. My best race I think was the Maidenhead 10 miles this year where I did 1:02:57, but I've also done 18:44 for 5k, 30:35 for 5 miles, 39:13 for 10k, 1:25:15 for a half and 2:23:03 for 20 miles, and these are way better than my PBs were in 2007 before I did my first marathon campaign. I don't really have any specific aims this year other than keep the GFA going, but I do think the 10k PB should be a little lower - I screwed up the race I targetted this year where I did 39:13 by getting stuck near the back of the field at the start, and then also had to contend with strong headwinds as well. I still ran a 39:00 watch time, but it really should have been down in the mid 38's.
14/12/2010 at 17:16

thanks guys,

really interesting looking at your times-shows us fogeys can still cut the mustard!!

stevie, must admit that the 9k was a tad under-distance according to my garmin and still think i need to improve by 10-15 secs per mile for the 10k but having lurked on your thread (well, a lot of threads!) and gleaned a lot of good advice i think i can gain the necessary improvements come may-time.

oh, and am loving the times of 57.5 and fish. it can only bode well for the future... 

14/12/2010 at 17:49
How many days a week do you guys train, i run 6 days a week and do upper body and strength work a couple of days, kettlebells at home, or 45mins to 1 hour at gym,
do 2 to 3 sessions per week and try and include drills and sprints on at least one run
probably do an average of 50 miles per week
14/12/2010 at 18:00
3 days a week - club speed session on Tuesday, club 7 mile run on Thursday (usually run pretty hard), then long run or race on Sunday. I'll sometimes do a very gentle recovery on a Monday after a long run - 4 miles with the heart rate barely ticking over. For my 3:11 at Brighton I averaged 25 miles a week over the previous 16 weeks. The only other thing I do is a yoga class most Wednesday evenings.
14/12/2010 at 21:39

I usually run 3-4 times a week when I'm not training for a marathon and 6 times a week (on a Hal Higdon schedule) when I am. 3-4 usually includes a tough club session Tuesday, easy club social run Wednesday (gets me out with the dog) and a fairly hard 90 minute run on a Sunday with clubmates. Then I mix in periodic Hash House Harriers runs with wife and dog which may or may not be easy and the odd parkrun. When training I just shift the schedule around a bit to fit in club activities and try to race every few weekends to make the most of the fitness (I'm with Beware Of The Fish, just the structure and variation of marathon training has made me better at every distance from 5k up). According to my log this year I usually run 20-30 miles in "off" time and up to around 55 miles a week at the peak of marathon training.

I have a friend (age 41, 2.39 marathon PB at 40, up to 110 miles a week) who gives me a hard time for my "easy" schedule and reckons I could give him a run for his money if I worked harder. I answer that much beyond 55 miles/week my legs would fall off. Sometimes I have to admit I am no longer young and have to take care!

14/12/2010 at 21:41
i am 43 and did 5 x 1k with 2 twenty something lads tonight
was just about hanging on to their coat tails
Blisters    pirate
14/12/2010 at 22:00

Postie Postie:
3:01 is a great time, now just you get your finger out and get that result starting with a 2:XX.

BOTF:
I note your 10 mile time, impressive. It's time you did some proper training, it's not translating into the other distances from what I can see.

Question
Who's going to flog it around (and up & down) the Gloucester Marathon in January? If I come and freeze with you it won't be running, that's a cert.

15/12/2010 at 20:36

Blisters not run for the last 10 weeks due to injuries, colds and christmas pressure at work. Have booked Wokingham HM for Feb as a barometer for VLM but not going all out this year so may achieve if I chill like Gloucester last Jan.

Anyway what are you up to these days?

18/12/2010 at 20:05
Its hard to train in this cold weather but i have been determined to see it through, meant to do 10 miles on the beach but alas had a head cold and gave up after 6 miles, not going out tomorrow if i feel like this
04/01/2011 at 20:48

I guess all us oldies () had to hibernate over the holidays.

Had a nasty shock when I got on the scales the other day, where did that 5kg come from? The perils of getting old?

04/01/2011 at 22:05
did my first real session since well before christmas due to flu, felt fine tonight and did a good session, bring it on
04/01/2011 at 22:07
57.5 i am the same weight since i was 18 and cannot put weight on, like my beer too but stomach like a washboard
05/01/2011 at 20:00

I restarted in Feb March 2010 running to rebuild calf muscle strength following an avulsed (ripped away) achilles tendon in June 2009. Operation 2.1/2 days later, plaster for 4 weeks then a ROM boot then physio for 6 months.

I ran a 10k in July 2010 at 50'44 but then stopped for three months due to inflamed right achilles. During which time I had a full bio mechanical assessment and now use orthotics which have transformed the way I walk and run, no more aching knees after running 6 miles.

I restarted in November and ran 23'02 for 5k in December having got lost twice on the club's handicap route round the town.

I am only running once a week on club nights but I want to run twice a week (Sundays) to get a little quicker.

I would like to run sub 45 for 10k and sub 20 for 5k.

I jut have to build up mileage slowly and allow for recovery time.

I need to redefine my objectives as I have pretty much achieved what I set out to do restoring strength to my calf muscle.

05/01/2011 at 22:16

Sounds like a very sensible strategy Jack. Sub 45 10k sounds like a breeze with a bit more work, good luck with the sub-20.

Sawney, I've always been one of the lucky people who tips the scales right on my weight at college without doing anything and really has to hit the beer to put on weight (thanks for the genes dad). Suddenly I'm 5kg heavier having had a pretty reasonable training schedule going for the last few months. Hope I can blame the ludicrous amount of cakes that appear every week at my new workplace and the marathon training will work it's magic.

06/01/2011 at 11:45

glad this has been bumped back.

was absolutey gobsmacked last night. haven't done any speedy stuff for a while due to chrimbo, weather etc but have been running regurlarly over the hols;  snowy off-roaders and such-like.

anyhoos, did my standard 4 x 1 mile interval with 2.30 min rest last night and was aiming for the usual 6.30 ish. times were 6.05, 6.11, 6.15 and 6.07???

how the f*** did that happen? answers on a postcard please, electronic of course...

06/01/2011 at 19:37
Bit more effort than usual to train in the snow so you've been working harder than you thought DR?
06/01/2011 at 20:10
Well I qualify for the over 40 bit but you're all a bit faster! More modest aims for me too! Target is sub 3:30 Prague marathon this year (3:41 Dublin 2010). Main problem for more training is working offshore 2+ weeks at a time I can't manage much more than 35 mpw time wise. Know what you mean about the extra 5kg 57.5 DoP - basically it's eat and run or not eat these days which really sucks!
21 to 40 of 297 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.