Male Vets Over 40 Discussion

101 to 120 of 297 messages
01/06/2011 at 19:44
mile splits from 2009 Blaydon

5.32 5.39 5.43 6.05 6.06 and 5.19 for the last 0.9 mile

obviously died after 3 miles, trying to race somebody, too fast start
01/06/2011 at 20:40
I used to look at the training on the run up to last years race, that'll give you a better insight to were your at..... Plus you've a decent 5k time under your belt.......
02/06/2011 at 14:41

Costanza, 44.06 is still a good time for the M40 ranks! I would say most runners peak around years 7-10 of their running career and number of years running is far more significant than absolute age. Which is why I'm finding these WAVA age comparison tables rather useless. Or do I mean unflattering?

Joe

02/06/2011 at 14:57
 Nice one Joe.  Another 7 and a bit years and I'll be storming that M50 category then!
02/06/2011 at 21:50

Hi All,

This is a good thread for all us more mature runners.

I'm on the verge of 44 and my goal for the rest of 2011 is to get to being injury free. I picked up a hip/ periformis injury running the wokingham half mara back in Feb and am only just on the road to recovery. That is the problem with getting older, any niggles take at least 3 time as long to recover from.

My milage at the moment is only 25 pw, once I get it back up to about 40 mile consistantly, I will enter some races .

I've been running for a little over 3 years and have only done a few races.

3 10ks, PB 38:06

5 Halfs, PB 84:49 (Henley 2010)

1 Mara 3:10:16 (vlm 2010)

I have couple of questions with regards to joining a running club. As an over 40, is it worth it?  Is it all track stuff? As I'm not really into running shorter distance.

02/06/2011 at 22:18

Welcome Moof.... Only been on this thread a few days myself..... I would recommend joining a club, not many club's have track's and those that do, will still have a element of runner's that keep off them......

the good thing about club's is that, no matter what problem you've got, someone has already had it and got the answer to get over it.......

I notice you've the same aim as myself, to stay injury free ( I'm injuried at the moment with a bad back), but once back upto 40 mile a week, do you have any aim's regarding PB's?

Again Welcome 

02/06/2011 at 22:32

Great times there Moof.  I would definitely recommend joining a running club, I'm sure you'll find something of use to you whether it be track or hill sessions or just a chance to meet up with other runners and share lifts to races.

Agree with the injury recovery time taking longer as you get older.  I'm due to do a marathon in 4 weeks and did a fell race tonight as part of my training.  I've only gone and knackered my ankle on a particularly steep descent.  I'm sat here with an ice pack on and my fingers firmly crossed

02/06/2011 at 22:33

Greetings all....

hit 43 in 8 weeks....

Been running since 98, 2 years ago broke all PBs (nearly every race)

29:32 for 5m
37:32 for10k
62:46 for 10m
86:10 for 1/2
3:13:46 Mara

Last year was a waste of space, 2 achilles injuries (1 on each side) and a hernia

This year has been better, lost some weight and now finding some form again, with a 38:22 and a 39:09 recent 10ks....

Aiming for a sub 85 1/2 in the summer and a 3:15 attempt in the autumn. (after a bad VLM as rolled my ankle at 4m on a water bottle, kept going but ruined my day 3:48)

Currently running around 40m a week in a semi base mindset, using 1 set of intervals and 1 parkrun a week for speed the rest at 8mm

Take care

02/06/2011 at 23:33

Welcome RFJ..... You've got some decent 10k times, after coming back from injury..... No reason you can't be due another cycle of PB's over the next 6-12 months if staying injury free....

Again welcome mate......

03/06/2011 at 07:47
Bluenose74- my main goal is to go for sub 3 at VLM 2012. I know knocking ten mins of my debut time is a big ask, but you've got to set the bar high! When I get back to consistent training, just keep trying to chip away at my times and be reasonably competitive amongst the vets. Trouble is there are some bloody quick ones!

RFJ- read about your VLM bottle incident on the 3.15 thread, (been lurking there for about six month, may input a bit when I get back into mara training.) Some Dick dropped a bottle in front of me when running reading half last year. Turned my ankle slightly, but recovered ok and no long term damage. I could have smacked the twat! Trouble was he was bigger and faster.
03/06/2011 at 13:58
moof, I would definitely look at joining a club, the hard sessions are much easier to get through with others. And don't forget a lot of road runners/racers do track sessions for speed even if they aren't racing track. I do a lot of interval training on my own now but find the big volume sessions like mile reps tough from a concentration point of view.
03/06/2011 at 14:03
moof what part of the uk are you living
03/06/2011 at 14:55
Sawney bean- Newbury, berkshire.
03/06/2011 at 15:24
well i didnt joined a club until i was 41 albeit i ran for a club in my 20's. Definitely improve your times, pick your club carefully mind as not every club fits all
03/06/2011 at 15:26
park run tomorrow which is part of our club grand prix, then blaydon on thursday ,5.9 miles which is one of the top races in the north east even though it is an irregular distance. Half thinking of not doing grand prix tomorrow

whats peoples thoughts
03/06/2011 at 18:59

Hi mate... If you did'nt do the parkrun, you'd be doing half a dozen mile reps somewhere else!!!

A good time tomorrow will have you well buzzing for thursday......

Good Luck 

03/06/2011 at 19:11

sawney, personally I wouldn't go for a max effort on the 5k with only 5 days recovery, but you might have better powers of recovery than me. I'd volunteer at the parkrun for the feelgood factor!

Welcome moof and RFJ. The three of us could have a pretty good race over 10k if we could all stay injury free. I ran 3.03 for my first marathon soon after posting almost identical PBs to yours over 10k and half moof (around my 42nd birthday) , sub-3 18 months later and sub-2.55 the following year at VLM so your goal is very doable. And I would definitely join a club, after all we all fit right into the typical demographic (at least for the clubs here in the far north) and I've found training with a likeminded and competitive bunch of 35-45 year old guys has helped a lot. Being joined occasionally by a couple of very quick 60 somethings is also inspiring.

03/06/2011 at 22:02

Thanks Guys for the welcome...

Moof - you are close to me geographically.... Im in Andover.

My short stuff is quite good as seen, but don't seem to have the convertion yet to Mara.... have run 12 of them and really only had 2-3 good ones.

Work is getting in the way of training with a club at present, despite having a 1st and 2nd claim club.

Take care

04/06/2011 at 10:14
well i did the parkrun but it was windy as anybody in the north east will testify. Decided not to fight the wind in the 1st mile as it was blowing in my face, was way behind the main group of runners until we turned the corner, when i stepped it up, steady away for mile 2 then pushed it for mile 3, Finished approx 4th position, felt strong at end. time, well didn't have watch but reckon 17.10.
04/06/2011 at 15:51
moof wrote (see)
Sawney bean- Newbury, berkshire.

I trained with Newbury AC for a year or so whilst working down there. They were very friendly and did organised sessions on Thursdays(I think).

Well worth going along to see what they offer. One of the coaches was called Carol IIRC. I do remember she was very enthusastic about the benefit of ice-baths after training

101 to 120 of 297 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.