Mara Training Plan With Cycling

2 messages
28/08/2009 at 11:40

Does anyone have a marathon training plan, including cycling. I know most training plans list cross training, but how far and how long should you cycle for. I am trying to limit running due to bad shin, so want to replace some sessions with cycling. For example average rule of thumb is 1 mile run = 100 calories, what is calorie burn rate for cycling. Many thanks.

Keep smiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K9
28/08/2009 at 19:20

Calories burned not nearly as high

I reckon I burn about 500/hr running compared to 400/hr swimming and 300/hr cycling (over and above what i would burn if sedentary) - but I'm kinda smallish - don't know if you are a small girlie or a big bloke.

It is said that 3-4 miles cycled equates to about 1 mile run - so it takes longer - but you aren't working as hard or consistently as with running due to coasting at times, downhills etc

Cycling is definitely more forgiving than running - I may do a looong cycle and ffel suitbly tired afterwards but the next day not feel stiff or sore - can't say the same for a proper long run.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.