Marathon pace advice please?

6 messages
26/04/2010 at 20:51
Hi folks
I'm training for the Windermere marathon in three weeks and I've just completed the second (and last ) of my longest training runs of 20 miles, It's my first marathon and I'm not really sure what pace to aim at.
Both of the 20 miles have been at 8.36/ 8.37 which seems to be my natural pace although in my head I was aiming at 9 minute miles.
Does that sound right? should I try to slow it down so that I know I can manage those last 6 miles? or should I just stick to my current pace?
My last race was Liverpool half marathon, a much flatter route but I finished in 1hour 38
Any suggestions warmly welcomed
Thanks x
26/04/2010 at 21:26

Hi Nicola,

I'm not a marathon runner, the longest race I've done is 20 miles. Even so I have been running for over 30 years.

If you are happy to run 20 miles at 8.35 ish and you can do a half at 7.30 ish, then do the marathon at the pace you do your training at. I think you will surprise yourself.

Good luck, though  i doubt you'll need it.

cougie    pirate
26/04/2010 at 21:27
You are racing those 20 milers. They should be done at a slower pace - definitely over 9 mins per mile.

For your marathon - double your half time and add 20-25 mins if you've trained well. With you just doing the 2 20 milers - I'd think its going to be more like an extra 30 mins - so that takes you to 3.46. It is a hilly one though so I would probably go out at sub 4 pace for at least the first half and see how you go. You will pb anyway and you'll not run as much of a risk of going out too fast and blowing up. If you do that - you can lose tens of minutes.

Good luck with windermere - I fancy that one day.
26/04/2010 at 21:40
Thanks for that, just getting round should be enough but it's really hard not to set yourself a time target!
I believe the second half is harder so will need something left in the tank
Will let you know how I get on, just hoping I can get rid of the big blister I brought home with me today!
16/05/2010 at 22:18
I'm pleased to report that the Windermere marathon went really well for me today, I just went with the flow and didn't get too bogged down with my pace and struggled up and down the hills. Finished in 3 hrs 37 so very pleased indeed x
16/05/2010 at 22:34
<green with envy>

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.