Marathon recovery

3 messages
17/09/2003 at 22:37
I've just completed my first full marathon at the weekend, and had decided to give myself at least a week off to recover.
Trouble is it's only Wednesday and I'm already climbing the walls waiting to get out there again!
How much recovery should I take? I feel fine now - no aches or pains, but don't want to do too much too soon.
18/09/2003 at 07:30
Goodmorning at first! It depends on the persons fitness i guess! Some people need just 10-15 days of recovery, some need a month in order to recover fully! BUT when someone talks about recovery doesn't really mean laying down for 15 days!!! I think that's impossible for runners! Just get up go for a walk the first 2-4 days and if you feel no aches or pain try running up to 20-30mins (on grass preferably). But in my oponion you shouldn't try anything "hard" or "long" before 20-25 days have passed! And of course CONGRATULATIONS for your first marathon! Now you have got the "virus" too...good luck!
18/09/2003 at 08:13
I think a VERY slow and VERY short(2-3 miles) run is ok on the second or third day

i have done a 10k within a week of a marathon
Got a pb too!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.