Marathon Schedules

10 messages
11/12/2002 at 00:37
Just took a quick look at the RW sub 3.15 schedule. Can any sub 3.15ers give an opinion on whether this is any good.

Basically it has you running 6 days a week but a lot of it is 4-7 miles run at easy pace. My instincts are that it could make the sessions more demanding and chuck in another rest day or two to balance that out?
11/12/2002 at 07:54
popsider-I tend to agree with you and would combine 2 days runs for a longer or more challenging run and take an extra rest day or an active rest day (swimming)
11/12/2002 at 11:02
I'm interested in all these training schedules. Recent e-mail in RW said he coudn't run >2 days consecutive as got injured. I tend to agree but then I'm 41 and an over-pronator and run sub 1h 45m for a 1/2 marathon. How then do I train for a marathon seeing I want to do better than last time? do I do an extra x-training day and split the total weekly milage into 3 parts eg Total 40m is done as 10m,10m and 20m.
11/12/2002 at 15:23
Greetings,
well I can almost hear some of the forumites wincing as I get on my soap box once again, but I think it is possible (if you want/have to train this way) to get good results off 3 runs per week.

(stepping off soap box)

best
mm
11/12/2002 at 21:59
Last year I did 3hr 12min at London this was running 45-55 miles per week
started training in November
with a Long run of 2hrs 45 in early march building up from 1hr 30 at 7.30-8.00min mile pace
2 mid week runs of 8 - 10 mile at 7-7.30 mile pace
one hill session of 6-10 hills
two runs 4 -6 miles fartlek
also ran a 20 mile road race in this period of 2hr 30min
before this my best London time was 3hr 16min
ran 1st half in 1hr35 2nd in 1hr37
hope this helps
12/12/2002 at 16:59
Popsider-
I too would love to break 3-15.
Pan-man schedule seems pretty good to me.
I guess secret is QUALITY sessions rather than junk miles. I guess this is how 3 runs could do it if they were says one long - one longish and one hills !
Good luck anyway
12/12/2002 at 17:41
I have run several sub 3:15 marathons, and I think there are three key sessions each week:

- the long run, obviously. But it's best not to run this too slowly: 30 or 40 seconds slower than target pace is about right. Aim to get at least five or six runs done of 20+ miles. Of these, a couple close to 24 miles would be good;

- the mid-week semi-long run at target marathon pace: in the early days of the build-up this might be 8/9 miles, then increase it gradually until you get to 13 to 15 miles. This session teaches your body to run for sustained periods at target pace, and helps with pace judgement;

- a faster session: could be a tempo run, or long intervals (1000m or mile reps). Or a hill session would fall into this category.

Anything else can be easy. 45 - 55 miles per week should be sufficient.

Good luck
12/12/2002 at 23:16
Thanks donutto - that seems to make sense to me - it's got the time on your feet in the long run - it has the marathon pace over a sustained distance and speed work.
13/12/2002 at 09:41
Mind if I gatecrash your question Popsider? I've just got a club place and am hoping to run 3.45 (or a few secs under to make sure I get good-for-age place next time!).

I was re-reading last year's RW schedules last night and have concerns. Compared with the Hal Higdon Intermediate II schedule there is a LOT of speedwork in all the schedules; in effect 4 hard sessions a week incl the long runs. Hal Higdon has similar mileage, but only one marathon paced run a week, the rest slower.

I have a sneaking feeling I won't be able to do all the speedwork and the long runs in the RW schedules. Was thinking of maybe forgetting the short intervals and swapping one steady paced run for a tempo run at 1/2m pace on the Hal Higdon schedules. I already run a lot on the hills anyway.

What really are the benefits of say 400 m intervals and hill sessions for a marathon on the flat? I can see there's an overall benefit to speed but important are these considering the increased likelihood of injury/and the effort needed to do these sessions?
13/12/2002 at 10:16
Interesting question Laura L. I confess I have not studied the RW schedules, but I think you're right to question the value of short intervals (eg, 400m reps). There is a considerable evidence that the key to improvement in distance running is to increase one's lactate threshold - ie, the speed at which you can run without flooding your muscles with lactic acid. The way to do this is to train close to threshold speed - eg, tempo runs, long intervals. Short reps (such as 400m) are of less value. Not so sure about hill sessions: long, sustained hill efforts are probably worthwhile, whereas shorter hill sprints won't be so beneficial.

But as you suggest: the real key to success is sustaining your training over a long period. Pulling a muscle because of too much intense speedwork is a real risk.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.