Marathon Training Plans. . . .Anything Good Out There?????

5 messages
03/03/2009 at 10:06

Hello All!

I am a complete beginner determined to run a marathon. . . it is all a matter of when and how   The how part seems to be a bit easier at the moment, I am searching for a proper training plan.  I have looked at a few basic/generic marathon running training plans online and am unsure as to how good and healthy they are for me.  There is one dynamic plan that I have found in the country where I live, Switzerland.  VICSYSTEM, from what I have searched, seems to be a good way for me to ease into marathon training.

Does anybody have any expierence with this particular system?  Any suggestions for others?  I am open to all input!

Thanks for helping a Newbie

Stump    pirate
03/03/2009 at 10:12

Check out the training tab above the forum links. There is some very useful info in there.

Run slow, don't do too much, rest well

03/03/2009 at 10:16

Many training plans work, its what you want acheive and how to do it that you need to think on.

How much running have you done and how much are you currently doing? What marathon is your target and what time do you aspire to?

Have you done any shorter races?

03/03/2009 at 10:42

To respond to both of you. . . yeah it seems like I need to do a bit more research and consider a few things.

Onegoodleg:  No I have yet to do any races. . . this is a new idea I have gotten in my head as I strive to increase my own personal fitness and stamina.  My expierence with running is not very high, although I have done sports my whole life, and a target time that I have been considering would  around 3:30:00 to 4:00:00 at the beginning.

My own personal fitness is quite high.  What makes the thought of, at some point, running a marathon so attractive is that I would be doing a very long streck.  Until now I have involved myself in activites that require short, quick bursts of energy. . . . kick boxing etc. but never anything that required major physical output for hours on end.

This VICSYSTEM site is one of the few training plans that I have found that seems to kind of start at your level and talk you through it. . . . but being a beginner I find it difficult to assess the advantages/disadvantages of one plan to another.

03/03/2009 at 11:45

How often and how far are you currently running?

It would probably be a better idea to do some shorter races before tackling a marathon, that way you would get a better understanding of whats involved and the mistakes that can be made. You would also get a better idea of your ability.

Imho training plans are of use but you need to be flexible, they can be a pain if you insist on following them to the exact letter and fail make allowances for how your body responds. Also, after running for a while you may decide that your current plan doesnt suit any more and you may have to change to a different plan.

How much time can you give to your idea of running a marathon?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.