Marathon Training

9 messages
30/06/2003 at 17:57
I did my first marathon on 18th May in Prague and am considering doing another. There is one in Wolverhampton on 7 September - this only leaves me with 2 months training.
Think that this is do-able?
30/06/2003 at 18:35
Hi Jayne, I am no expert, just training for my first marathon for a few years, but it could be do-able. It would depend on how you are feeling now, do you feel fully recovered from Prague and have you been doing any type of training since. If you are aiming just to finish without trying to beat previous times give it a go, but do not overdo it.

What was your time in Prague?
30/06/2003 at 20:07
Yes it's do-able. It just depends how fast you want to run it.
01/07/2003 at 08:45
Hi I took it really steady in Prague as it was my first marathon - did 3.50. Felt great afterwards - went out sightseeing after a quick shower. No problems since but I am finding it hard to get back into training mode. Been doing about 25 - 30 miles a week - longest run is about 1.30 to 2 hours.
01/07/2003 at 09:09
Hi Jayne, well done on your Prague time. My experience is that when you've had a good marathon, as you obviously did, then your body feels great and continuing to run afterwards feels fine. However, if you then get straight back into training without allowing the body to recover, eventually and it could be months later a feeling of tireness or lack of enthusiasm takes hold.

Maybe, this is not what is happening to you and you just need to refocus on your next marathon goal.

You've got a good base, so you could just pick up a programme and follow the last 10 weeks, which I'm sure would be fine. You might get a better marathon time who knows? It's on the day that counts!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
01/07/2003 at 10:55
Hi Jayne,

I know how you feel after the marathon, the post race blues and it is quite hard to get back into training, coz you don't have any major thing to train for after putting all your resources into one race. That's why for me, it is important to try and map some future events ahead. After London, it took me 3 weeks to get back into training, not becaise of fatigue, but lack of motivation, but then i commited myself to Dublin in Oct and Hong Kong in Feb and hopefully London again next Apr. Everyone is different at recovery, but personally, it only took about a week to get it out my system, it was only a lack of a goal that put my training back, but I'm in full swing at the moment and my pb's are tumbling and i can't wait for the GNR first then Dublin.
You have the mileage and the fitness at the moment, it is just refining the package i suppose. 2 months is very doable, especially at your current mileage, it all depends how fast and how hard you want to run it?
01/07/2003 at 21:22
Hi, like you I need something to aim for - if not, just feel like I'm going through the motions. Got a 5k race coming up next week but need something to really train for. Having a look around at the marathons at the moment - Amsterdam and Venice in October look favourites so far and as I would love to get 3.30 for a marathon these would give me another few weeks to get some serious training in as they are at the end of October. Checked plane fares for Amsterdam - £36.50 return from East Midlands!!! If decide to do one of these, will do the Wolverhampton half - as its on 7th Sept, will give me a good indication as to how times are progressing.
Hong Kong sounds good - may put this on my list for next year but doubt whether I'll get such a good deal on a flight!
01/07/2003 at 21:59
Jayne, you'll be surprised at how cheap it is in HK at the moment. I went there in April while the sars ting was going round and flights were as low as £399. In Feb it is off peak season so you may even get it even lower. And hotels there are much more classier over there and everything is negotiable. Best tip is to stay over for atleast a week to aclimatise, and stay one night at hotel but book for 2 or 3 nights, check out after one night and say you found a cheaper and better place to stay, they will bend over backwards to offer you the best rate. I stayed i a four star hotel for £35 per night Half Board.
01/07/2003 at 22:17
Jayne,

I am doing the Amsterdam 1/2M but there are many peeps from the forum doing the marathon. There is a thread about it on Events. We are going to meet there after the race. Hope you join us.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.