Marathon Training

6 messages
19/11/2012 at 23:21
I am about to begin training for another marathon. I have completed several. My training so far has followed the usual gradual increase n distance up to 21 miles. I spoke with someone last year who was training by doing the usual long slow runs for 2 weeks and then on the 3rd week run 15 miles at race pace. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? To me is makes some sense but wouldn't mind a second opinion
20/11/2012 at 11:07

Plenty of plans have weeks where the long run is run at marathon pace on certain weeks for part of the run. e.g. Pfitzinger & Douglas 55-70 plan has several weeks. Example - 5 weeks out, 18miles with 14m @ MP.

Within my own long runs I incorporate several paces, and will do extended periods at marathon pace every few weeks. It helps to get a feel for the pace and can let you know where you are in your training.

20/11/2012 at 16:48

I agree, blocks a marathon pace is a good idea.  Things like easy first 10M at MP + 30s then second 10M @ MP.  Or my favourite 26M with miles 15-20 @ MP - 10s per miles and 20-25 @ MP.  Loads of a variations, but getting used to running MP on tired legs helps everytime.

Also I'm interested at the peak mileage of 21M, I tend to complete 5 or more at 22+ and tend not to run out of gas, just a thought

20/11/2012 at 23:00
I have an added complication. I bring a group on the long run. The principle I have used is that we start together and no-one gets left behind. It has worked well with 4 PBs. Unfortunately if I introduce up to 15 miles at MP the group will split. Would it be possible to get results using shorter distances of 3-5 miles but repeated throughout the run?
20/11/2012 at 23:12
Try an out and back say along a canal that's how I manage it
20/11/2012 at 23:19
I live in a hilly area where we do a large loop of the town on country roads. I suppose I could do the loop back by suggesting that the better runners turn back after a certain time and the other runners run at their pace until the group meet again. If I build it up slowly the faster runners wouldn't have to run too much further than the other runners

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.