Marathon under 3 hrs 45 minutes

4 messages
02/08/2010 at 17:13

Folks,

I ran Paris this year in 4 hours and 14 minutes. I am registered for Florence in Nov 28. I would like to run it in 3 hours and 45 minutes.  I am 37 yrs old, 176cm, and 74kg. 

Since Paris, I have been cycling and have done 4 100mile+ events. At this point I want to start preparing for Florence.

What do I need to do ? All advice related to weight loss and especially training would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Tolga

Dubai Dave    pirate
02/08/2010 at 17:50

Tolga

In a nutshell, 1 tempo run, at around 1/2M pace 1 speedwork sesssion, 1 long run at MP + 30secs per mile, 3 aerobic sessions with one at MP, if possible make one of the aerobic runs a semi long run.

You don't say if your male / female, what is is your current 10K, 1/2M PB's ? You would need to be able to run 10K somewhere close to 45  mins & 1/2M about 1-45 to run a 3-45 marathon, I would say your weight is OK but its up to you less weight improves the power to weight ratio. I don't know what your current weekly mileage is but I would suggest that you want to have a least three weeks in the 50 -60 MPW bracket, with ideally 2 or 3 long runs around 20 miles ( I like to go longer but its not essential) The speedwork session should be varied each week say 10 x 400M one week 6 x another, 5 or 6 x 1K another, what you can do rather depends on your experience. Joining a club would undoubtedly help

Good luck

02/08/2010 at 18:11

This is great, much appreciated. I am male. I don't have my current 10k but 1/2 marathon I was last at 1 hour and 58 minutes.

By the way, I also found this for those interested: Running a Marathong under 3.5 hours

Dubai Dave    pirate
02/08/2010 at 20:55

Your present 1/2M time indicates a marathon time of almost exactly what you achived in Paris, up the speedwork and the miles. The cycling should have given you a aerobic base. Race some 10K's there a good indication of present fitness and don't take too much out of you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.