Milton Keynes/Bucks Runners

181 to 200 of 6,630 messages
01/06/2004 at 13:06
No worries SVT. I hadn't actually looked at the website so didn't realise it was ladies only. Its not something I'd be interested in either.
01/06/2004 at 13:53
It's one of those regular debates on the forums - valid points on both sides. Some men support the idea of women-only races, some women hate the idea.

One thing's for sure - I have no interest in running a 'men only' race!
02/06/2004 at 16:30
Are we having another curry this month? Can I suggest Moghul Palace in Stony and then play no further part in the organisation?
02/06/2004 at 18:08
I'll definately come this time (honest!). :)
02/06/2004 at 19:35
Wednesday 23rd June, 7:30pm Moghul Palace in Stony Stratford?

Yes, I am offering to take the responsibility this time! Lessons learnt from last time:

1. Take mobile numbers, where people are willing.

2. E-mail at least a couple of days in advance.

3. Let people know what name the table is booked under.

4. Stick head out of restaurant door at 7:35 and shout "any RW forumites waiting for a curry?"

Any particular pub recommendations for a 7:00pm drink? Haven't been out in Stony for a while.
02/06/2004 at 19:40
(Not having a go, Dr G - just starting to compile a list of 'must do' points for organisers. After this month, the list will probably contain another 10 points I should have considered and which resulted in at least two attendees being in Glasgow on the 24th June at 7 in the morning...)
03/06/2004 at 08:28
I know of two pubs in Stony (am I starting to sound like an authority on MK pubs/bars at all??).

There is The Crown which is on the square or The Vaults bar which is nice but very small so usually quite crowded. Have no idea where the Moghul Palace is so couldn't say which is closer.
03/06/2004 at 08:39
As you had up the high street away from MK, it's on the right hand side towards the end of the shops.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
03/06/2004 at 11:41
I should be able to come, 23rd is my 35th Birthday but im not aware I have any other plans for the actual day of my Birthday, all celebrations are at the weekend...

Have the day off work to do a 100 mile bike so will be nice to wash it down with a curry.

03/06/2004 at 13:11
I'll be in Portugal ! Not because I'm in a huff but I'll be doing my bit for the boys in red!
03/06/2004 at 13:30
The Vaults is about halfway up the street so might be the best choice.
03/06/2004 at 15:58
Stony Stratford is an excellent choice.... the Mogul Palace is the 1 km marker on my usual training run.

Carl - it will be my birthday on the Friday (38), so birthday beers all round ;-)
03/06/2004 at 16:12
Did anyone do the duathlon at the bowl on Tuesday and, if so, how did you get on?

Fish - are you up for any training runs?

Carl - don't think I'll be able to cycle next Tuesday but might manage the one after, as long as I won't hold you back
03/06/2004 at 16:15
Nads - I was there, knocking 1 minute and 2 seconds off the time I had done the previous month

great event - you should give it a go - or were you there ?
03/06/2004 at 16:26
BM - no, I wasn't there. I just wanted to get an idea of what it was like. I had sort of, kind of, ish, said to Carl that I might possibly do it but then the fact that I didn't get home from work until after 7pm was a good enough reason not to :-) I may, possibly, might consider next month's if I'm working from home that day...!!!

Congrats on the time by the way
03/06/2004 at 16:32
WobblyNads - I've not been running for two weeks due to dodgy shins/ankles/knees.

I did my first run last night - 7 miles - which felt fine at the time, but my knee was painful all evening. It was a little better this morning, so I'm off for a gentle session on the treadie tonight after work to see how that feels.

If it is OK, then I'd be up for some training runs. I'll let you know later this evening.

Whereabouts do you live/run? I'm about 1km south of the Mogul Palace.
03/06/2004 at 16:33
Now I don't want to give you any excuse for not having a go but if it would be your first duathlon you might want to give July's a miss - the reason for this being instead of the usual 2 mile run/10 mile bike/2 mile run format it's going to be a 4 mile run/15 mile bike/2 mile run !!

Of course that may simply make it more of a challenge for you !
03/06/2004 at 16:43
Fish - I'm in Great Holm, although not at this precise moment as I'm at work in Cambridge. I'm actually away for a few days from tomorrow, but next week should be OK...I'll probably be in MK most of the day on Monday and Wednesday or could maybe do an evening run on the other days if I can get back to MK at a reasonable time. Just let me know. You should be able to email me from the forum and if you could copy in steve.cullis@orange.net too, with contact details, that'd be good as I won't have access to work email.

BM - the first run doesn't bother me unduly, whether it be 2 or 4 miles, on the cycle I'd just have to try and hold my own on my MTB, but the last 2 miles worries me. The last time I got of my bike and then tried to run I nearly fell over...best get practicing :-)
03/06/2004 at 16:52
Then go for it Nads - there is always a great atmosphere at these events and it's fairly informal so no undue pressure on anyone. For entry info and details of previous results (to give you an indication of the differences in capabilities)check out www.big-cow.com

And I'm told the secret for running off the bike is - finish the bike ride by spinning in a very low gear and start the run off with small steps, slowly increasing to your usual running steps/speed, and try to stay relaxed
03/06/2004 at 16:56
Thanks BM - might, possibly, may see you there then :-) BTW - I had heard that standing up on you pedals and leaning forward whilst pedalling towards the end of the cycle helps as it "wakes you calf muscles up again" or is that b******s?
181 to 200 of 6,630 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.