Monday 16th April 2007

21 to 40 of 101 messages
16/04/2007 at 10:31
clink, great report, and well done!!
Lizzyb - bl**dy amazing, well done!
M.
16/04/2007 at 10:36
great report DD - ice cream at aid stations sounds fab! glad you didn't hurt yourself badly when taking a tumble....
M.
Dubai Dave    pirate
16/04/2007 at 10:51
The fall left no lasting damage other than bruised pride.. should be getting used to it I fell over a cats eye at Comrades in 2005! We don't have them here in Dubai!

General photos of Two Oceans here
http://www3.arkimages.co.za/scripts/CUWP_CGI.EXE

Photos of Moi here race number 40175
http://www.actionphoto.net/ap.aspx

As to stopping Rotterdam.. It was around 33C by the end of Two Oceans no -one considered stopping it. Dubai / Singapore / Mumbai marathons are all run in temperatures well above 30C. Apparently no one is allowed to make their own decisions anymore.
Dubai Dave    pirate
16/04/2007 at 10:53
Ok the first link doesn't work lets try

http://www3.arkimages.co.za/

Search for Two Oceans
16/04/2007 at 10:56
My new DS Racers have just arrived for FLM.

Anyone know how to move the position of where a new window appears when clicking on a link?
16/04/2007 at 11:03
Morning all,
Enjoyed watching the Paris marathon, looking forward to boston later today. Surprised to here they stopped Rotterdam, trust the runners will get some kind of refund for this?

What:
am: 5-miles easy already done, legs a little heavy but felt fine otherwise.

pm: 7-miles multi-terrain run `pushing pace a little` in hot weather.

Why:
Aerobic endurance and getting body used to quicker running in hot conditions.
Will try having a salty drink after run, to top sodium levels back up, knowing I sweat like a pig! lol

AF:
I kind of get that idea, from the past weeks training, plus looking at MG training plan. I think threashold will be binned for Comfy pace most of the way and a bit harder in parts ;)

16/04/2007 at 11:12
LOL DD, I can't believe you tripped over another CatsEye. I had an Ice Cream at 2Oceans around 41kms last year.
Well run in the wind, last year they had a hot day with a good breeze.

What: 10miles
Why: Cutback week
Last hard: Friday
Last rest: Sunday
Lyrics: nope
16/04/2007 at 11:41
Clink - great report - good racing.

Dubai Dave - well run - good pic - it looks hot!

Lizzy - that fell running sure sounds tough!

Mike S - take care.

Does anyone know where to look for the Rotterdam results? I have a friend who was running it. I certainly hope he was under 3.30 as it would be a very long way to go to have your race curtailed!

What: 3 miles easy then spent the day with gkids.
16/04/2007 at 11:55
Morning all
back from a week in Wales with family. Mostly spent walking, swimming, cycling and fishing. Kids got pi$$ed off with me training when swimming rather than 'swimming properly' which involves slashing around with them in the shallow end so last few swims were less conducive to a good ironman time :(

What: 6 miles easy, technique swim
Why: FLM taper

Will try to read back yesterday's thread.

DD - nice reprort and well done on teh race.
16/04/2007 at 11:57
Morning all,

DD - Nice pics and great going, sounds a tough race, hills, cats eyes and wind! Do we get ice cream at Comrades??

LizzyB - Great stuff!!

Hipps - send my best wishes to DF

Cancelled a Mara due to heat!? Strewth what is the nanny state/world coming to! I'd be gutted after all the hard work training.

What: 10 miles easy
Why: Light week last week, big one planned this week.
Last Hard: 8 days

Have a great day
16/04/2007 at 11:58
Morning folks.

After my run yesterday morning, didn't manage as much cake and coffee as I had on Saturday...just a full cooked brekky/brunch with a pot of tea(!), then a 6 mile walk followed by a cappuccino and a tasty slice of ginger cake.

DD - sounds like a fantastic race and an excellent report. Well done.

On Rotterdam, sounds like a very strange decision...doesn't everyone sign a disclaimer when they enter it? Sounds like the organisers did make some additional allowances for the weather (as far as they could anyway), but I suppose there'll always be situations where these allowances aren't great enough. I know for a fact that Mrs S wouldn't have been too pleased if she'd been stopped during the last mile of a 3.35 PB run or hadn't had an official time recorded had she reached the line before the 'cut-off'!

Anyway, for today...

What: a 'loosener' session at the club tonight...a steady 10 x 200 on grass with slow jog recoveries
Why: to keep everyone ticking over during their taper

Have a good day.
16/04/2007 at 12:13
Podro Kids got pi$$ed off with me training when swimming rather than 'swimming properly' which involves slashing around with them in the shallow end- hope there wasn't too much slashing going on. They put dyes in pools these days you know...
IronMelissa    pirate
16/04/2007 at 12:14
Morning all,

DD - wow. Great report. I love the idea of an ice cream during a race - must try that. It's pirate tradition to try something new on race day so perhaps that will be mine in Florida! Great pics too.

What an honour to post on the same forum as people who do things like ultras and north pole marathons and huge piles of marathons and running very fast indeed. Once again I take inspiration.

Not sure what to think about Rotterdam. I was entered for it last year but had to withdraw due to calf trouble. I wanted to go back one day, but not sure now.

What: long swim drills session; short hard bike
Why: it's Monday
Last hard: turbo yesterday
Last rest: Sat

Good runnings all.
16/04/2007 at 12:50
Afternoon all,
Lazy day as I've just come off nights and hoping tapering will be accepted by other half as a reason not to finish decorating the bathroon till next week.
What: 6 rec, d&d
Why: recovery after 10 yesterday with 6 @ marathon pace.

Well done DD - great pics
16/04/2007 at 13:05
Hello everyone - I am back! Back running, and hence feel I can legitimately come back to this thread again.

The physio at the hospital said no high-impact exercise (i.e. running) for 3-4 months following my Caesarean, but frankly I believe this is advice given to Jo Public rather than to those with a history of marathon running and general fitness. A couple of forumites on the 'Pregnant Runners' Club' thread advised that they had started back much sooner than that and cited the usual "listen to your body" advice. There was no residual pain from the surgery and I felt fully recovered so decided to dig out my running shoes ...

First run last Friday - a whopping two miles - which told me just how much fitness and muscle tone I've lost. The pace averaged out at a paltry 10 minutes per mile but a) I was being deliberately cautious and keeping in tune with my body for any signs of pain, and b) I couldn't physically go any faster! At first I was dispirited by this but then I reminded myself that I had major abdominal surgery only 6 weeks ago and I haven't actually run since early December, and then I was down to a plod with several hundred pit stops to relieve my bladder.

Yesterday I managed three miles, and the pace had improved to 8:46 average. I did find it very hard though (the heat certainly didn't help - trust me to pick the warmest week of the year so far to make my comeback!) and my legs were quite sore and stiff afterwards. But it felt SO good to be back running - and no need for any stops any more! I guess the 'advantage' of a C-section is that there is less likelihood of subsequent pelvic floor weakness and I was pleased that there were no leaks!!

Now I need to build back slowly - I will be sticking at three miles until it becomes comfortable and the pace picks up. It's obviously going to be harder to find time to run now that there's Kit to think about, but I've negotiated four runs per week with hubby for the time being, which I'll probably stay with until I go back to work when running at lunchtime or home from work might be a more workable option for all of us. For now though, I'm just glad to be able to run again and mileage etc. isn't that important.

So - what do I need to get up to speed with here? Who's running FLM? I thought Hilly was but there's mention of an injury in her post?

DD - that sounds like a good race. Well done. Falling over a cat's eye sounds like the kind of thing I'd do (I fell over Kit's carrycot this morning even though it's been in the same position in our bedroom for ages!) Clink - go for it on Friday! LizzyB, why am I not surprised to come back here and find you leaping stiles??

Bummer about Rotterdam. I hope anyone on here who was running managed to get in before 3:30. I'd have been furious if it were me and I'd sacrificed all that time and effort training - not to mention the monetary cost.

Good to be back - sorry my inaugural post is characteristically rather long!
16/04/2007 at 13:11
BR - maybe that was why teh water in the pool was nice and cloudy.

Rotterdam cancellation - at Leed HM a couple of years ago there were some major problems when the race was run on a very hot day. Although most people were careful given the conditions there was a significant number who lacked the foresight/experience to deal with the heat and as a consequence large numbers collapsed at the finish and some keeled over out on the course. Emergency services were overwhelmed and it was only the fact that the Leeds General Infirmary was right next to the finish that allowed quick access to sufficient medical help. Perhaps this was what the organisers were trying to avoid.
IronMelissa    pirate
16/04/2007 at 13:12
Hi Minks!

Wonderful to see you back running, and so soon! I'm not surprised. Sounds like you are taking a careful approach. I can't remember if you bought a running buggy - they are all the rage over here (I'm in the States til mid-May) and you see whole groups of yummy mummies running along together, each with a buggy. Looks like excellent fun.

Will you post a picture of Kit? Understand if you want to keep that private.
debbo    pirate
16/04/2007 at 13:13
Minks - good to see you back! You're still speedier than me, even with your months off!

I got the impression that in Rotterdam if you'd reached a certain point by a certain time you could continue, not that the whole race was cancelled?
16/04/2007 at 13:28
Thanks IronMel and Iron Wifey - it's good to be back here!

Mel, have changed my image to one of Kit, which will hopefully be uploaded shortly. He is SO cute!

I haven't bought a baby jogger type pram, because they're quite long and you can't really use them as a 'normal' buggy. We just don't have the storage space for more than one so we've gone for a 'travel system' which is basically a chassis (three-wheeler) with interchangeable car seat, carry cot and pushchair fittings. It's really funky and I love it! Have also decided that running time is 'mummy only' time and basically pretty much the only time I get entirely to myself, and therefore to be savoured!
16/04/2007 at 13:31
Hi there

Just popped in to say:

DD - Good run and you look very happy in those pics. Roll on Comrades.

Minks - Good to see you back and hope the baby brings you guys lots of joy. I have had a miserable 7 months due to injury,went for two runs last week (2 and 3 miles) almost died and could hardly walk the next day,so good luck with the come back and know that you are not alone :o)

Trini - Your training is going very well,will you be doing a 38-40 mile run around the 2nd week of May?

And last but not least,good luck to everyone doing FLM. I will be watching.

Have a good one.

21 to 40 of 101 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.