Monday 19th November 2012

21 to 35 of 35 messages
19/11/2012 at 16:30

Wow 7D a great race report and a great race!!!  You must be feeling so good.  One question though, hills?!  I thought Holland didn't have any of those :P

19/11/2012 at 16:35

Honestly Emzap, I thought the race name was some kind of Dutch irony at first. It's down near the German border (ish) where it's not just endless flatlands. To be honest I think a lot of the Dutch nationals were caught out on the hills too, I was really having to weave to pass going uphill.

19/11/2012 at 16:43

Great running, great report, 7D. I thought you might just sneak under 63, but that result is far better than I expected, especially considering the volume of runners. Would you do it again, or is it a "once in a lifetime"/"glad I've done it but there are other races etc" (which is how I felt about the Great North Run).
Well done!

Am I right that "zevenheuvelen" means 7 hills?

19/11/2012 at 16:52

Congratulations GGG.

Fantastic result and report 7d - well done! Amazing to feel so good but great when it all comes together like that.

Alehouse - hope the consultant can see what you're dealing with and suggest a remedy.

Don't get too despondent just yet Tom - it has only been a few days.

Just back from 6 easy and enjoyable miles.

19/11/2012 at 17:34

Alehouse - it does mean Seven Hills. In terms of what we hill dwellers call hills I'd say there were three, the rest were slightly impertinent inclines.

I honestly think I'd like to do it again next year. It was cheap, considering - E21 including chip, but now I have it it'll be E17 next year.

19/11/2012 at 17:43

Well done 7D you are definitely a speedy runner.

19/11/2012 at 18:23
Well run 7Ds - sounds like you had a ball!

Back from physio. The hamstring problem I have had three times previously and all were caused by misallignment of the sacro-illiac joint. I'm not sure physio agreed that was the cause, but he mobilised the joint for me anyway. On the other hand he didn't think there was any significant damage to the hamstring but possibly soreness and inflamation caused by friction at the point the muscle meets the tendon across the bone. Advice is that I can carry on running on it but slowly so as not to aggravate the inflamation and to ice it regularly. I've also been given some strengthening exercises to do. I'm down to run a 10M leg in a cross country relay (Hereward Relay - Peterborough to Ely across the Fens, LMH?) next Sunday. He reckons I should be OK if I take it steady - but I'm back to see him next Monday, so it will be useful for him to see the residual effects of the Sunday run.
19/11/2012 at 20:03

Tom, good to hear that you can still run and hope that it starts to ease off even more

7D - fab report, sounds like a cracking race too

Rest day here, just having an easy day with lots of food..

Take care

19/11/2012 at 20:13

7D great race and great report  

19/11/2012 at 20:50
Beginning to wish I'd gone for a run instead of watching the footie...
19/11/2012 at 21:05

And there's the equaliser, Sweep!

19/11/2012 at 21:14

Just back from consultant. He is pleased with progress and explained a couple of things:
- when I had the op I had a peroneal block, and this will have damaged some of the nerves in the lower leg and foot, and, whilst these will recover over the next couple of months, will cause some discomfort in the meantime;
- where my leg and foot were shaved I seem to be having an allergic reaction as the hair grows back;
- I have been having some pain in my heel: it hadn't sunk in that he had also shaved a piece of a heel spur off. I had signed that this would happen, but...!

So he doesn't want to see me until next year! First port of call for any issues is the physio: see her next on Friday morning.

Tom: your news sounds quite optimistic. Take it really easy this week, with lots of appropriate stretching. Don't be tempted to do too much: too little would be better in the short-term, I suspect.

Blisters    pirate
19/11/2012 at 22:11

7D what a great report and it sounds like a fantastic race.
Tom, that was a good and positive feedback report. Sacro-illiac is a first year runner's injury. Can you please remind me how late this injury is? I was also just watching the Kelly Holmes TV programme tonight, and she talked about the mental anguish that they never treat when dealing with the physical injury.
Alehouse, I think that everything will mend in due course. After all, the medics are watching, and they advise for some natural body repair time.

This weekend we were away.
Friday: 5 mile run, (easy)
Saturday: 50 mile bike a.m. 30 minutes length swim pm
Sunday: 20 min lengths swim and some standing about.
Sunday pm: 1 hour swim training, about a mile.
Monday: 20 miles wet on the bike.

19/11/2012 at 22:34
You are right, of course, Blisters: everything will heal eventually, and on the scale of things, particularly given my age, I am doing quite well. However...
Looking forward to 2013 (more likely 2014).
20/11/2012 at 00:06

AH...what age....I had double arthroscopy last year and informed opinion was I wouldn't run again yet consultant told me if I listened to my body I could carry on, not as fast as before...Everything does heals in time, just takes longer. I'm aiming for a GFA this year and really believe it can be done and have no contra indicators. Combination of patience (Which I never had pre 50), controlled progression and will power. You sound like a guy who has all three. I lok forward to your progress and greater understanding. Good luck and I really hope you get "Where you want to be"

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.