Monday 1st February

21 to 35 of 35 messages
01/02/2010 at 14:50
hi leah and welcome!!
01/02/2010 at 14:56

Afternoon all,

Well done's to Mave an Paddy on two cracking 10 milers.

Good XCs from Clink and Wabo too.

Can't remember anyone else so apologies.

Welcome Leah!

• What:  5m
  • Why:  Recovery
  • Last Hard: ?
  • Last Rest:  14/1

Have a good one!

01/02/2010 at 15:16

Afternoon all

Welcome Leah

Thanks for comments. Legs a bit stiff today. I think an easyish 6 or 7 recovey later. Next target is 10k on 14 Feb.

01/02/2010 at 15:28

Welcome Leah and good luck preparing for the Edinburgh Marathon

Dustin - I'll be running that way after work this evening (From Fenchurch Street via the Minories, East Smithfield, Highway, Narrow Street, Canary Wharf, Thames Path, Island Gdns then through the foot tunnel and up vanburgh Hill onto Blackheath) - it's a great run to do at night especially alongside the river - hopefully the car will still be where I left it at 07:30 this morning.

01/02/2010 at 15:29

Hi Leah and Dave!

At work so I'll have to keep this brief - lovely to hear Clink laying demons though.

DD - makes lots of sense to me - especially as I'm not intending to race it, would be very happy to get round in about six hours but content with finishing - preferably in one piece. I echo Dustin - please stick around! Do you think I could just repeat the last weekends runs a few more times to become more comfortable with them or do I need to be increasing distance or time on feet?

01/02/2010 at 17:42

evening all.

Welcome Leah & Dave.  This is a great thread for keeping marathon training going!

clink - great stuff there, well done.

DD - don't disappear!  I'll be watching out for ultra training tips as I think that's where I'll be heading next year.

Well, I know my PB yesterday was well earned (thanks all for the well dones by the way!) - I definitely have a touch of DOMS now.  Hopefully it won't hang around too long.

01/02/2010 at 18:26
<!-- @page { size: 21cm 29.7cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

Evening!

Welcome Dave and Leah...stick with us! Dave: 1862...year of your birth?

Clink: well done on Saturday. I had already seen your resulted and measured you against one of my club mates...you were much nearer, and, as you say, much nearer your own team mate. As you went through the stream it wasn't a course that I designed...we vowed probably fifteen years ago not to use that because of a serious injury there which effectively finished one of our own international's careers.

CH: try not to let blisters defeat you! I either use “Compeed” (or shops' own brands)...or just get on with it!

Moraghan: it really does sound a miracle that you could ever walk, never mind run! Must look into this guy...I think MikeS and I need a block booking!

Wabo: Parl Hill is a tough course, so well toughed out.

Tom: I meant a weekly plan for the short term goal...presumably including some longer stuff. Are you going to include longer, slower adventures, maybe even going off road to get in those “ time on feet runs”? I applaud your ambition, but am a little surprised you have chosen to do one so soon into your comeback...I thought that you were perhaps building towards an autumn outing. I, for one, would be delighted if you can get your GFA as a basis for giving it a real shot next year.

Edited: 01/02/2010 at 18:26
01/02/2010 at 19:32

Hi Dave and Leah.

Clink - you sound like you are running very nicely.

Wabo - well done to you too.

Moraghan - man! Just think how fast you will run when you get all that corrected.

Tom - a marathon! You are a sly dog! Didn't know you were going to attempt the distance - but 3.30 - bit soft a target for you isn't it? Even if it is your GFA time. Thought you were training so hard for an outstanding 10 miler. Guess you'll get both - good luck.

What: 5 miles - out on the bush tracks, back on the road.

Good running everyone.

01/02/2010 at 20:01
Moraghan - it is amazing what you can achieve, I had running rehab after my last chronic hamstring injury and went from a severe over pronator on both feet to being nuetral on the left and supinating slightly on the right - my podiatrist was amazed at the changes the physio had managed to effect. I still wear orthotics but that's to correct a leg length discrepancy. It will be worth it!
01/02/2010 at 20:43

Evening, again!

What: just quarter of an hour, but slightly quicker than steady
Why: lack of time

At hospital today for four and a half hours (read the whole of Haruki Murakami's "What I talk about when I talk about running"...which I didn't particularly enjoy...could relate to in parts though, and there are one or two quotable bits). Had bone density scan and then saw consultant (pretty well a whole book later!) who was very pleased: my bone density had only deteriorated by around 1% over the last five and a half years since I last saw him...one would normally expect a deterioration of 0.5% for a male of my age...the daily calcium/vitamin D seems to be working (worth noting!). My fractures over the past five years (two broken shoulders/metatarsal/stress fractures to shins/cracked ribs) are, in his view, all trauma injuries and there is only a 9.4% chance that they are due to osteoporosis (have no idea how this figure is arrived at apart from he spent quite a lot of timeinputting the data into two different calculatorsand getting the same result). Additionally he feels that my current neck problems, with a disintegration of the vertebrae are again not due to osteoporosis but almost certainly from a trauma injury, probably the first time I broke my shoulder. (Hope you are still with me...I've just bored myself!!)

LMH: hope for us all with your tale of re-educating the legs!

Edited: 01/02/2010 at 21:23
01/02/2010 at 21:39

alehouse - good news then. Really pleased that it is not osteoporosis. What can they do about the disintegration of the vertebrae - can you wear some sort of soft neck support?

My son bought me that book "What I talk about when I talk about running"...didn't think much of it either. An interesting book about someone's love of running, but didn't inspire me at all.

01/02/2010 at 21:50

Hi NZC,

Awaiting results of last week's neck scan...I suspect that in the short term that the vertebrae will be have a further cortisone based injection...had a procedure last summer that seems to have worked on the right hand side of the neck, but not the right. Long term I may have to have a more substantial operation, if I understand correctly, where a wire may be inserted...don't want to know about this option yet!
Thanks for your interest! What happened following your son-in-law's neck problem?
Also, have I ever asked you if you know Tina Wild? 

01/02/2010 at 21:57

Greetings all,

welcome Leah and Dave

Well done Clink and Wabo

What - club handicap tonight, a good tempo run, 1/2m warm up on the track, then off, 5m in 35:18 and holding back a bit, felt strong, but groin weak.... then 1/2m cool down, total time of 43:33 for 6m
Why - Fun and miles.....
Last Hard - Tonight
Last rest - Fri

Take care

01/02/2010 at 22:29
Alehouse - it is a considered approach. My current fitness has me running 12M at 7:00 pace and 16M at 7:30 pace. As I said the pace for a GFA of 3:30 is 8:00 pace and I honestly don't think that will make severe demands on my speed. I'm not intending to race Shakespeare - simply to expend as little energy as possible to get round in under 3:30. The major risk isn't handling the pace, it's whether or not my biomechanics can cope. I don't intend to bust a gut doing this, just basically want to get the GFA attempt out of the way ASAP, bearing in mind that the latest Marathon I could run for GFA would have to be by Mid August anyway.

If I do manage GFA then I will enter VLM2011, the target being to go sub 3hrs. However if I'm not whereI hope to be by start of November next I won't bother with VLM and acceot that it's beyond me, and reconsider for 2012.

My only current concession will be to do three 20 milers at 8:00 pace between now and the Shakespeare race. Apart from that all my training between now and November next will be geared towards my Summer and Autumn targets.

In summary this is not a "shit or bust" approach, just more a "suck it and see" Realistically the limiting factor in this is not the speed at which I can run, but whether my biomechanics can cope with the distance.
01/02/2010 at 22:32

evening

Hi to Leah & Dave1862

Clink - sounds like a good outing at Wythenshaw yesterday, well done

Does sound like your appointment was well worth it Moraghan, even if you've got a few things to thin k about..... I'd be making an appointment myself if the guy lived 100 miles further west....

Things sound about as good as they can be for now Alehouse...just hope for the best from that scan...

what: 6 miles in 46:45
why: ticking over & keeping everything loose 

Compression socks back on, and they may well have helped from 2 miles onwards, when I began to feel the suggestion that something might be about to tighten on the left side....but it never developed any further. I'd wear tham all the time, but they do pinch at the top in my experience.
Slow running in dismal & damp conditions, but "slow" is better than "no". Glad to get the mileage in and calves feel reasonable after a good stretch.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.