Monday session 13 Jan 2003

21 to 40 of 50 messages
13/01/2003 at 13:36
Swerve i'm impressed. I've been struggling to crack to the sub 40min 5 miler for a while and keep missing it by a few secs.

Laura - i'm doing Helsby as well and looking forward to it. I'm torn between using it as a normal sunday long run run as part of FLM build up at a slow to steady pace or go for it trying to get under 1hr50 for first time. I'm sticking to my marathon schedule so will see how i feel on the day i guess.

as for today-
what : club night. not sure what.
why: club night although i'm full of cold so should probably not, but i don't like missing club nights
last hard : yesterday's 8 mile
last rest : Friday
WildWill    pirate
13/01/2003 at 13:38
Afternoon all

What: Short 3 miler
Why : just getting back into things

Will
13/01/2003 at 13:44
Swerve: Indoor nets already! I have no plans for same until mid-Feb. Who do you play for?

Laura: Looks like a fairly hard week for a taper to me - especially set beside what I have planned.

today:
what: nothing
why: Monday has been a rest day in the schedule for a while now

last hard(ish) run: Fri
last long(ish) run: Sun
last rest day: Sat

tentative plan for rest of week:
Tue: Session with Wirral runners - but the coach plans a full-on hill-reps session - so I will almost certainly dip out halfway through. Would like to do a few though
Wed: 30-40 mins recovery jog
Thu: About 4 miles at intended race pace
Fri: rest
Sat: rest

Too easy? Views invited.
13/01/2003 at 13:54
Tulips and Paul L - thanks for being impressed! Nice folks round here. :-) Paul L - best of luck with the 40 barrier.

Mike S - I play (poorly) for Camden (in Cambridge, not in Norf Lahndan). Yourself? And yes, it's a tad early, but I need all the practice I can get!
13/01/2003 at 13:57
Swerve: Opening bat for Caldy CC (2nd XI) - Liverpool Competition - if selected!
13/01/2003 at 14:08
Mike - Looks like a good taper to me. Thursday session has the potential to induce panic if intended race pace seems too hard (leave the watch at home?).

Will - Is a "short 3 miler" two miles? Not taking the P*ss (honest!) - glad to see you back.
13/01/2003 at 14:33
Laura, too much if you're looking for a really good time, but ok if it's just part of the big picture.

Mike, sounds ok to me, although I'd maybe go out for a "jog" on the Saturday just to keep the legs from stiffening up.

Today:

What: nothing
Why: coming down with something and I feel crap today
Last rest: 9 days
Last hard: yesterday
13/01/2003 at 14:40
afternoon all -

Laura - I'd say the same as the others, it looks a bit too tough to me if you're going for a PB. back-to-back tempo runs not a good idea possibly.

Drew, bad luck - sounds like the reason for your off day on Saturday. hope it doesn't last long.

what: rest, rest, boring old rest - at least a lot of you are doing it too so I can't feel too envious
why: knackered
last rest: too long
last hard day: yesterday 20 miler
13/01/2003 at 14:43
Agree with everyone above, one tempo run @ 1/2 MP would suffice...
13/01/2003 at 14:44
Hi,

What: First long(ish) run since x-mas - 10m
Why: Back in full training after a bit of an easy three weeks.

Nice and mild out, but the wind's getting up.
13/01/2003 at 15:27
Swerve, congrats on your race, it's a great feeling when you exceed your own expectations isn't it.

Ok, will revise this week's plans as the message from you appears consistent (for once!), no point in suffering all those tempo runs only to blow it this week. Thanks for your suggestions.

See you there paul! Judging by the Events thread we appear to have failed to organise the proverbial pi**up in a brewery, but I'll label my vest anyway. Drew, hope you feel better soon, explains your disappointing session the other day perhaps?
13/01/2003 at 15:35
What: Short 7km recovery run this am (taking week of work to stay home with Mary and new born so a pleasant suprise to be running early mid week) - I always find a recovery run after a hard or long session useful and am a big fan of running at different paces throughout the week's training session only coming close to race pace in my tempo runs and pace sessions.

Why: On programme for marathon on 13 April

Last rest: Friday

Last hard: yesterday's 17 miler

Simon

13/01/2003 at 16:05
Afternoon, finally got round to reading the weekends posts so here we go :
-Congratulations all those 'long runners' inspired by the number of 2hr+ runs so early in the year
-Congratulations to Stranded in Turkey,slushy I know but they are the best thing that can ever happen to you (although 2 is enough for me!)
-Lizzy B good to see you're back after the dodgy food incident
-Welcome back WildWill
-Belfast Phil,just been reading about the Belfast x-c in the paper today, I'll go double check for you.
-Hilly:congrats on the race performance and your second place
-Laura:well done with the x-c on Saturday,impressed with your placing and more so to see yo out again on Sunday.

Well done to anyone else not mentioned individually,I'm looking forward to the post Helsby (wherever that is) race reports.

Saturday was spent clearing the house (party in the evening) and by the time it was vaguely presentable there wasn't enough time for a run
Sunday : went to bed around 2-2.30 and was up before 6 amusing the kids while the wife & sleepover guests , slept off the effects.
By the time we had the house back I collapsed in front of the telly and couldn't be bothered to go out.(Fortunately this had been allowed for in my training plan!)

Today : long run 12.6 miles (a couple of combined measured courses) tried to run steady and even picking the pace up later.
Total 1:33:50 so just inside 7m30 miling (target marathon pace) halfway in 47:22 , 2nd half in 46:28.
Why : trying to build up mileage and speed ahead of two 20m races in February
Last Hard : today was tiring Thursday was last pacey effort
Last Rest : Sat/Sun in terms of running

See ya soon
13/01/2003 at 16:31
Afternoon everyone.

Well done Swerve, it's always great to break a barrier. More to come I'm sure.

Laura, agree with the others on having a lighter week. Won't say anything else as I think you've already got the picture!

Dustin-glad your party went well, doesn't hurt to forget about running once in a while. In fact, it does more good than harm
Good pacing on today's run!

What: 1hr circuit session
Why: it's a Monday thing. Am feeling a little tired after yesterday's race, so don't plan on working too hard. I have a massage booked for later, so look forward to that!
Last hard: yesterday
Last rest: Saturday
13/01/2003 at 16:56
Marmite Master-

Possible I'll see you at Folksworth - I'm not doing it - too far, I'd never get round in time, but my Mr. and his pal are doing it, so I might go and be part of the cheering section.

At any rate, enjoy.
13/01/2003 at 18:47
Rest day for me
And regretting it already
But there is speedwork tomorrow
13/01/2003 at 18:48
Decided against the evening circuit session in favour of a rest day. My legs feel too race sore and by going I'll only prolong their recovery. So rest day today. Going for my massage at 8pm, so that should ease things.
13/01/2003 at 19:37
Stickless, thanks for the advice. I'm using the anti inflammatories now. Had to go to the leisure centre (taxi duty for the kids again). Normally that would mean a gym session, but today I had a sauna and jacuzzi - I don't know if it helped, but it was a "be good to myself" type of session. Maybe I should have gone in the pool, but it was being used for kids lessons.
13/01/2003 at 20:01
Marj,
would be great to see you there, I'm #34 so feel free to yell at me if it looks like I'm slacking!
best
mm
13/01/2003 at 20:01
Forgot to say huge CONGRATS to 'Stranded In Turkey'!
21 to 40 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.