Monday session (14/10/2002)

21 to 39 of 39 messages
Mij
14/10/2002 at 11:31
Hey V-rap my wife has just bought some echinacae stuff as the kids got colds when they went back to school (shock horror). I have told her its a waste of money but she will not believe me - any good words of advice?

The last purchase she made was Loofer in a liquid form for my hay fever - tasted disgusting - went back to Beconaze - that works.
14/10/2002 at 11:40
Can't help much, Mij. I think attitudes to taking pills and potions are formed in infancy and are difficult to change later. My kids moan that OTHER people's children get taken to the doctor and/or given medicine when they get colds and suchlike things. I keep a bottle of generic pseudoephedrine in the cupboard so that if they want medicine for their cold they know that it's going to have to be "red snotty-nose medicine", which they all hate but which may - perhaps - make a slight difference to the symptoms by a biologically plausible mechanism.
14/10/2002 at 12:07
What: weights this morning, 40 minute recovery run tonight.
Why: race yesterday
Last hard day: yesterday
Last rest day: Friday

Taking it easy for the next two weeks in preparation for starting my training programme for my 2:45 goal at London.

Off to Florida for 2 weeks on Wednesday morning. Don't intend doing much running when I'm there, maybe every other day.
14/10/2002 at 12:40
Vrap,
This could get heavy - in a technical sense! Particularly if I dig out my old stats books and remind myself about the minutiae of significance testing.
Bear in mind I'm not interested in making a statistical case for the population at large - just for me! Given that I reckon over the last few years, I've averaged four (possibly more - must check my diaries) respiratory bugs a year (up to April), you could model the situation crudely as follows:
In any given month, I have a probability of 1/3 of picking up a bug. On which basis, the probability of going 6 months without doing so (as I have done since I starting taking echinacea) is (2/3)**6 = 64/729 or in other words, under 9%.
Not a particularly striking figure as yet - particularly as the 6 month period covered includes the summer months, when I'm probably less vulnerable. However, if I get through the next 6 months and pick up at most one bug, then I'll have had at most one in a 12 month period. Probability of doing that is:
(2/3)**12 + 12 * 1/3 * (2/3)**11
- which works out at about 5.4% - somewhat more convincing....
...but having done the calculation for 2 or fewer bugs in a 2 year period, the probability of that appears to be under the magic 0.5%...
I'll firm up the figures above (i.e. the "4 bugs a year") and we might return to this subject a few months down the line!

I'm aware that statistics and the interpretation thereof is a notoriously "soft" science, but with each month that passes.....
14/10/2002 at 13:06
What: 5 miles steasy to the health club, then steam/jacuzzi/swim
Why: Lazy weekend (Mr Nessie had stressful week, so we vegged out)

Marathon + 2 weeks and fully back to normal. "Never again" has now morphed into "I could do London if I get in, or maybe Paris....."

Drew - how did the race go on Sunday?
14/10/2002 at 13:16
Nessie, check the Merril & Shelton thread on events! Not too bad, although not what a I wanted.
14/10/2002 at 14:23
Laura L,
the hyperlinks are added using HTML tags. Probably the easiest way to explain it is if you go to the first page of this thread which has my link on it, then go to the top of your browser window and select View - Source, you'll see in a new window all of the tags used to make the page. If you then search for 'What: nowt, knackered.' you should see the first part of my post. If you scan along that line you'll then come to the 'Why: see' part of my response. OK, now we're getting there, so to add the link you then write an opening angled bracket (less than sign for the maths types) then 'a' then a space, then 'href=' then open a set of double quotes and paste in the web address/URL of the page you want to link to (in this case I just pasted the URL from the Shelton 10K page into here. Then close the double quotes and the angled bracket (greater than sign). Then add the text that you want to be highlighted as the link. Then open another angled bracket, add /a and then close the angled bracket. That should do it. Let me know how you get on.

Probably the easiest thing to do is just copy and paste that section from the View-Source and experiment with different URLs.

RR,
CONGRATS on your PB, don't be hard on yourself regarding the time. A personal best is a great achievement. Well done.

Drew,
have a great time in Florida, you definitely deserve a rest.
WildWill    pirate
14/10/2002 at 15:19
Today’s swimming drills were dropped in favour of intervals due to the pool being free of obstacles of the ‘blue rinse’ variety

Actual: 6x250m @ 1000m pace with 30 second rests

Will
14/10/2002 at 15:29
Dear god,as if life wasn't complicated enough without having to digest Mike's cold statistics and MM's crash course in HTML! I thought you'd direct me to some little box on the screen I'd missed which simply says 'add blue link here' .

Thanks anyway :)
14/10/2002 at 17:17
I find HTML needs a child standing at my elbow to explain it. (My children are about 20ish). Statistics are best cold.

What: 4 miles steady. Just keeping things ticking over til sunday, very exciting, saw the kingfisher.
Did try to swim this morning, but the pool was definitely knees to noses full, and I decided I didn't kneed that.

IF I finish writing tomorrow's lecture at a reasonable hour, I too shall settle down with the race reports and indulge.

Still in a flutter over Paula.

14/10/2002 at 18:36
What: Nothing again
Why: what was a cold turned into a nasty virus that made me feel like someone had taken a baseball bat to my head, now coping with a nice 60 per day cough!
I hate being out of training and this is the pits so am downing anything that will help - most of which is the alternative sort. We'll see if it helps.
Next: asap
Psi
14/10/2002 at 19:28
What: 10-mile cycle ride.
Why: Long run yesterday, which I did too fast (silly, silly...).

Last hard day: Yesterday.
Last rest day: Today (from running).
14/10/2002 at 19:52
Reading this thread today takes a bit of concentration with all this techno talk!

I think I'll stick to running at least I can understand that, well most of the time.

What: 50x25m swim
Why: have very achy leg muscles after yesterday's race and if I'm to race again on Saturday I need to take some easy days this week. Saturday's race is a road one so hoping for a good time.
Last hard: definitely yesterday
Last rest: from running, today.

Well done all you weekend racers. Do you all feel as sore as me today?
14/10/2002 at 20:38
Hope you dont mind me joining in..

Just had to get this off my chest

What: Nothing
Why: Probablly due to the old codger who decided to try and cross a dual carriageway (in his little ford fiesta)without checking that anyone was coming and actually ended totaling both our cars! Decided due to slight aches and pains to give tonights run and tomorrow mornings gym session a miss! Feel the need for several beers instead...celebrating still being in one piece!
Last hard: sunday 10 miler
Last rest: tonight!...alcohol induced sleep here I come

Next: short amble tomorrow night (if I can get out of bed in the morning!)
14/10/2002 at 21:33
Sorry to hear about your prang, BBB. I had a v. similar experience a number of years ago involving a codger and a central reservation, so I'm glad to hear you're still in one piece!

Anyway...

What: 6 mile run (well, 5.66 mile run) with the club
Why: It's Monday :-)
Last hard: This evening - this is the only chance I get to run with other people, and they're faster than me so I regard it as speed training
Last rest: Saturday, but I've had a cold for two weeks so feel that I've been doing too much resting.
14/10/2002 at 22:29
You'll all be pleased to know I haven't checked back thru my diaries so there's no need to recalculate those probabilities ;-)

Actually had the pleasure of a session with my elder son (11) this evening. We ran for 17 mins 30; he started with his usual stitch after 2 minutes but by switching his breathing to his left footstrike got through it, kept going at a reasonable pace and concentrated well. An enjoyable outing for both of us - although I could hear him wheezing, as he'd forgotten his inhaler (again).
14/10/2002 at 22:39
Glad you're OK BBB, you must be in shock. Scary.

What: Club session: 5 * circuit taking ca 3 mins, couldn't get anyone to commit themselves to saying how far it was. 1.5 min recoveries.
Not quite as painful as the 1/2m reps last time. Can't believe I'll ever get to be a lactic acid junkie like some of you guys and prefer these to long runs.
Why: got endurance, must get some speed!
Last hard: tonight
Last rest: Sat.

Signed the application form so looks like I can finally call myself 'a club runner'. Halleluja.
14/10/2002 at 22:53
Tried speed sessions
400 metres is too much
God Im crap
15/10/2002 at 06:56
Laura, welcome to the world of club running.

What - nothing,
Why - still feeling despondant & sorry for myself about reocorrance of injury @ missing a dead cert 2nd place in Sundays race
Last hard - 8 days
Next hard - 24 days (hopefully)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.