Moraghan Training - Stevie G

25,201 to 25,210 of 25,210 messages
Yesterday at 17:17

The natural reaction of muscles due to training is to get shorter.

Longer muscles work better than short ones, ie faster. So letting your muscles shorten will slow you down.

Muscles are also only prepared to work dynamically at a certain % of their full static range. So a limited range will also slow you down.

Flexibility might have some bearing on avoiding injury.

I know a couple of runners who scoff at the idea of stretching. Not only do they look crap running. They are crap running.

Bottom line is, going from inflexibility due to training, to flexibility will give you extra speed for no effort.

Needless to say, I have full flexibility in all areas required for running.

Yesterday at 19:16

so we should expect your fastest times in the last few years imminently then Ric old son?

I managed to actually touch my toes after doing this new stretch. No doubt it'll seize back up, but isn't going to be an overnight fix!

Yesterday at 19:22

My Mrs has taught me a few yoga moves that really help stretch out the main leg muscle groups - downward dog (calves), Indian knot (hamstrings) and a couple of others for adductors and groin whose names escape me!

Nice run home tonight  (if a bit warm!) so double off-road 5.6M at sub 8mm pace, which is relatively quick fro the routes, so happy with my post-race legs.

Got to take the kids to Thorpe Park tomorrow - really not looking forward to that!

Yesterday at 19:49

SG, already reaped the rewards of going from barely able to touch my knees to the full flat hands on floor. Nothing left for me to gain.

However, in your case its a free reward. Stretching out will release a mass of saved up training results.

Yesterday at 19:57

couple of months ago I tried to "reward" myself by improving my core, but like an idiot newbie did a sh!tload of ab stuff over 2 days, meaning the next 4-5 days were a staggering mess.

The next week things tightened up. However, separet Oesteo and Physios have said this is a coincidence rather than down to my boobery luckily.

It is an odd state, this will be my 5th 58ish mile week in a row. Say that to most people, and they won't understand how you can possibly claim to be niggled. But obviously we as runners understand, as we trade in timings and paces.

Yesterday at 21:02

Maybe the key to removing those niggles is some speed work o flush whatever is causing it out - who knows, but sometimes the body works in mysterious ways! My adductor problem certainly feels a whole lot better after a race that I thought would finish it off....

As for your core stuff - you should no better Mr G!!!

Yesterday at 21:03

I'm prepared to trade in any activity that possibly reduces the speed of recovery.

Its a state of mind I drop into when injured. I'm not a runner with an injury/niggle. I'm just injured. Once I rid myself of the injury, I become a runner again.

What I don't do (anymore) is attempt (and succeed) to fit in the odd race or session during the re-hab phase. Had enough of chronics.

My neck of the woods is littered with the remains of injured guys who still think they are runners. Some of them have been carrying injuries for 20 years. 

Yesterday at 21:18

I like the state of mind thought RicF. I tend to look at it the other way which doesn't help. Usually end up depressed. 

Yesterday at 22:14

Matt, another way to look at it, is like having two different training schedules. 

One for injuries, one for running. There can be some overlap, though for an overuse injury its total separation.

Can't be arsed to go through weeks and months of re-hab anymore, so I do whatever I have to, to avoid getting injured in the first place. That does knock 'race times', but the upside is longevity.

Our sport is loaded with more than enough 'firework' runners.

Edited: 24/07/2014 at 22:15
Yesterday at 23:19
RicF wrote (see)

I'm prepared to trade in any activity that possibly reduces the speed of recovery.

Its a state of mind I drop into when injured. I'm not a runner with an injury/niggle. I'm just injured. Once I rid myself of the injury, I become a runner again.

What I don't do (anymore) is attempt (and succeed) to fit in the odd race or session during the re-hab phase. Had enough of chronics.

My neck of the woods is littered with the remains of injured guys who still think they are runners. Some of them have been carrying injuries for 20 years. 

Ric. Wise wise words. There is at least 1 person on here who should print that post and stick it on their fridge. There's a difference between occasionally having a niggle and training long term with one.

though in your next post I disagree slightly. I would rather be a runner for only 5 years and burn brightly than have have 30 years and not burn as bright. But it's all about motivations and we are all different so I'm sure there is no right or wrong opinion there 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
25,201 to 25,210 of 25,210 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.