Moraghan Training - Stevie G

32,061 to 32,064 of 32,064 messages
Today at 16:03

Shame about not breaking 37 minutes Bus. It's still sub six minute mile average which is good.

Today at 17:42

That's a good run Bus. Haven't you had a niggle recently as well?

Cardiff Half Marathon for me today. Plan was to have a dig at the PB from Reading (1:18:46) despite not a lot of running volume over the summer. Weather was spot on, cool and a nice breeze.

Started with the regulation jump of the barriers and endured the PA's usual diatribe about atmosphere and how we're all heroes.

Decided to go out a bit quick, bank some decent miles and see how much I faded. Mile 1 was a 5:50 which felt easy followed with a few more 5:5x. Spotted a Wargrave runner around 4 miles in I think and kind of lost my rhythm a bit following a quick chat and a water station.

It started to go a bit pear shaped after that with a few 6:0x miles flashing from the Garmin. I had the watch on average pace which I won't do again as it's annoying as it starts to creep up.

Through 10k in 36:59. Started to follow a couple a very nice female runner in what were little more than a pair of hot pants. She was in a race with another perfectly formed derriere about 100 yards ahead so I passed a few miles pacing her back.

Through 10 miles in 60:01, at which point I realised a PB was unlikely. I missed the 12 mile marker so it wasn't until I hit 20km that I realised I should be putting my foot down for the final stretch. Tried a late burst but saw the PB was gone, pride made me put a bit of a kick in for sub 1:19 to finish with 1:18:59. That one second makes a big difference in my head!

Bit disappointed with it, 1:15 seems like a pipe dream.

Edited: 04/10/2015 at 17:44
Today at 17:49

Thanks Ric - I need to remember it wasn't that long ago that just breaking 37 seemed impossible, so all relative I guess.

Bit of a niggle Andrew, but only enough to force a taper for the last two weeks and I didn't feel it today.

Well done on keeping it together to get under 1:19 today! Don't be disappointed, it's still a very good time and very polite of you not to beat my PB (also 1:18:46) just yet . Is Cardiff a fast course? Sounds like it has its benefits!!

Today at 17:57

I'd say it's fast, there's a hill at 3 miles and one at 12 which was quite steep. Probably similar to Wokingham and Reading, maybe between the two.

It will have to be in the spring when I have a crack at moving up the thread rankings 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
32,061 to 32,064 of 32,064 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.