Moraghan Training - Stevie G

33,221 to 33,228 of 33,228 messages
07/02/2016 at 18:40

how you travelling people get any decent training in I don't know. Iron Taiwan, Phil- Russia/America etc quite regularly.

I had one short spell up north and it's almost ruined me.

ps nice 60 for you too Phil.

Edited: 07/02/2016 at 18:49
07/02/2016 at 19:33

I just wait until I get run over by a car or something and have a couple of days off.

Well done Phil and Bus, glad that hammy held up, enjoy your taper.

I almost joined you proper runners this week, 59.4 miles following a 54 & 55. We won't talk about the weeks before those, mostly 20's and 30's.

Nice to briefly say hello to you today, Pete. I don't think it was me that started slow today, it's more everyone else that starts so quickly. My first mile was pretty much my average for the race. It makes it a lot easier not being overtaken.

Bit of a result for me today, my teammate has been beating me since the middle of the last XC season. I was slowly closing on him but he always has a strong last couple of miles. We came to one of the last hills and he started to pull away again but I told myself not to chase him and stay out of the red, I could tell he was pushing hard up that hill and as soon as we got back onto the flat I started to eat up what was about 20 metres.

As I got within 5 metres he looked back and held out his hand, I suspected he may yield quite easily if I ever managed to get on his shoulder and so it proved. Just took 4 races to find out.

I pushed on but I had worked quite hard to catch and pass him putting a 5:45mm in and didn't have enough to catch the RRR in front. I finished in 4th but maybe a bit closer to Graham than usual. 

I know it wasn't a mud bath, Pete but there were a few good hills. I thought it was a good improvement on last year. I did think it was only going to be 5.1 miles so the extra 0.5 caught me out a bit.

07/02/2016 at 19:45
Stevie G wrote (see)

how you travelling people get any decent training in I don't know. Iron Taiwan, Phil- Russia/America etc quite regularly.

Travel and training are easy: a normal day is split between work, commute, family and training. Go away and suddenly the family slice is gone and commute is often trivial so the training can take a bigger chunk.

07/02/2016 at 19:51

Great run AG and you're right most of us start too fast. I find  the courses often narrow to single track pretty quickly though (like today's) so you need a handy position. Results are up already and you must have run at a fantastic 36 10k pace as I did about 40 10k pace which I'm pleased with for a XC and way better than my Tadley slog through the mud.

Agree your TVT club put on a top quality race and the course has something for every type of runner; probably the best this year even if those tree stumps in the middle of the course are a hazard. 

SG; you're right I'm too boring with times; should throw in a 38 parkrun like Phil

07/02/2016 at 20:05

It certainly helps to get near the front, I find that the slower fast starters go quick enough for the first 0.5m then its time to pick them off. I quite like overtaking it's part of the fun. 

IronCat5    pirate
07/02/2016 at 20:17
Phil's summary is what I have experienced. It can get more complicated when it is a conference or some such event. I suspect Taiwan will be manic so it will be early mornings.

I normally get overtaken for the first half of XC then start to pick places up consistently until the finish. I do start close to the front to avoid the bottlenecks.
07/02/2016 at 21:03

Nice racing AG, but cause me some serious anx that you cans top on 59.4M

Philip - good 20. Whera re you in the schedule now? I've kinda lost track!

I don't do much travelling for work, but when I do go to new places it adds a bit of freshness to running. Yes, you have to plan where to go and sometimes struggle to squeeze it in, but it breaks up the same old routines, which can only be a good thing.

Devon next week SG for the first of my multiple holidays this year . There will be less than normal now though, as I am on a new work contract with 5 days fewer leave

07/02/2016 at 21:43
The Bus wrote (see)

Nice racing AG, but cause me some serious anx that you cans top on 59.4M

Saving it for next week, Bus.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
33,221 to 33,228 of 33,228 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.