Moraghan Training - Stevie G

10,441 to 10,460 of 25,818 messages
20/05/2012 at 20:01

Well run Stevie, you seem to be the man hitting the PB train at the moment.

Stevie see wrote (see)

Didn't get chicked! And beat 2/3 of the 'elite women' start.

OK, so we sent Sam Amend "oop narf" and she ran the elite ladies race and did 35:43 so technically you were chicked in the same way that Dachs, bus and me all have been this year. 

20/05/2012 at 20:16

I know, I wasn't including the elite women starters. Although some of the 'elite' women were doing 37/38 mins. Doesn't sound very elite to me. The GB men weren't really out in force either. No one under 29 is a bit of a poor show. Hallie though... inspirational.

20/05/2012 at 20:36

I read on bbc website that Haile will try and get to the Olympics in the 10k team....seems like a good start at Manchester.

Well done SS, I've had problems with GPS at the start before but can sometimes be a blessing.

Phil - Not run my steeplechase yet, but they asked my coach that since I was crazy enough to run 100km, would I also be crazy enough to do the 'chase'. I didn't realise quite how many jumps you need to take, 35 is that right?

Just finished a very big week (and a huge run today) so will now be tapering for my first serious race of the year. Very excited.

Bus - You'll just have to beat Frank next time round!

20/05/2012 at 20:58

Forgive my ignorance UG, what race are you tapering for?

20/05/2012 at 21:29

Not ignorance SS, I've just not mentioned it too much (or been on here a huge amount recently). It's my first ultra of the year (that isn't a training event), I'm running 100km out in Switzerland. Been really struggling with the long runs recently and have not been able to get beyond the marathon distance...I put that right today though.

20/05/2012 at 21:47
Ultra Gregory wrote (see)

Phil - Not run my steeplechase yet, but they asked my coach that since I was crazy enough to run 100km, would I also be crazy enough to do the 'chase'. I didn't realise quite how many jumps you need to take, 35 is that right?

You've got it spot on and not many have it right. It should be simple: 3000m is 7.5 laps of a 400m track, but the water jumnp has to be inside or outsode the track. If it is inside, the laps are short so you have to start on about the 100m mark and run 7.75 laps, if it is on the outisde you run further and so start someway down the strart/finish straight and do just over 7 laps. To make it fair, you therefore always do 7 full laps with 5 obstacles per lap, 4 plain barriers and a water jump. this means that you don't do any obstacles until you hit the start/finish line so any barriers between you and that have to be moved into place after the race starts and you may have to run round the water on the first bit of the first lap.

20/05/2012 at 21:50

Another fine set of PBs & fast times this weekend.  Well done Dean, Stevie, Addy, Phil, Bus. Sorry to hear of your injury Rob.  But I'm sure you'll be back with a vengeance in a few weeks.  Ching, are you benched more as a precautionary measure?

Perhaps in the absence of our sponsor, this thread should be renamed the " Let's Go Faster" thread

First 50 mile training week since MK mara 3 weeks ago & body feels pretty good.  Trying to focus now on more structured speed track sessions to get a bit quicker in future races. 3 10ks coming up:- June, July & Aug.  With Stevie's result today, Iam now officially Spartacus!{thread's slowbie}.

20/05/2012 at 21:59

It appears our sponsor is feelign ratehr sorry for himself: talk on facebook about swapping running for old peoples bowling. Still think he wil ocme back: he is active on other threads telling people the yare silly to try sub 35 for 10k from a base of 45 mins after 8 weeks of training.

20/05/2012 at 22:07
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

It appears our sponsor is feelign ratehr sorry for himself: talk on facebook about swapping running for old peoples bowling. Still think he wil ocme back: he is active on other threads telling people the yare silly to try sub 35 for 10k from a base of 45 mins after 8 weeks of training.

I finished behind a guy last Sunday who has only ever done 20 miles a week training, so you'll never hear me slating someone's lack of mileage, only bitterness over my lack of decent running genes

20/05/2012 at 22:42

I wonder if SG somehow thinks his status on this thread is dependant on his ability to run well at this current moment. Well I don't believe it myself. He's had the results so that part is fixed. Injuries, well those are just part of the deal, doesn't make you a crap runner, just one who would rather not have a sore leg. Shouldn't stop you talking about running. The way things are, one day talking is all we'll manage on the subject. Just not yet we hope. 

Two runs today for 13 miles, following a 3 miler yesterday which was first run since Staines. Second run was needed as it was the only way I could get my 15 year old lad away from his revision for GCSE's. 

20/05/2012 at 22:55
RicF wrote (see)

I wonder if SG somehow thinks his status on this thread is dependant on his ability to run well at this current moment. Well I don't believe it myself. He's had the results so that part is fixed. Injuries, well those are just part of the deal, doesn't make you a crap runner, just one who would rather not have a sore leg. Shouldn't stop you talking about running. The way things are, one day talking is all we'll manage on the subject. Just not yet we hope. 

Two runs today for 13 miles, following a 3 miler yesterday which was first run since Staines. Second run was needed as it was the only way I could get my 15 year old lad away from his revision for GCSE's. 

Ric- Did Staines take it's toll on you, or just a lack of opportunity to get back out there sooner? 

21/05/2012 at 07:45

Hi Luvsa, certainly did. Two days of 'no thanks' training, followed by another three of thinking about it. I eventually broke the cycle with a short road run. Leading into a race I can normally devise some kind of peak/taper. I've had a couple of races where I've run simply to close out a league win. If those races were just a singular event then I wouldn't have done them. On those occasions I've nursed a niggle all the way to the start and during the run knew that once I'd stopped, I'd stay, stopped. I looked at one 10k I did in 35:40 and I'd hardly run in 6 weeks. I beat one guy in that race who ran another race later that day. I limped away for another two week off. 

21/05/2012 at 08:44

OK, a clear spell is coming up so I can seriously look at training rather than racing or recovery. Next race isn't until Tuesday 29th and that is a low key off road 5kish, and then June 5th and June 9th, one 5k road and one 5000m track.

Looking back on my notes from Dean, he says for 500m:

10 * 400 @ race pace - 6 sec 

So if I am shooting at 17:30 which is 3:30 per km or 84 seconds a lap, do I do those 400s at 90 seconds a lap (84+6) or 85.5 seconds a lap (84 + 1.5)?

Edited: 21/05/2012 at 08:48
21/05/2012 at 08:51

Great pb from our man SS yesterday, great way to celebrate a birthday weekend and glad you got revenge on Nell after she whooped me in london 35.** is starting to move into view as a possibility this year!

Ug - whats the race you're doing in switzerland?I guess if you're going to do a 100k race anywhere, some alpine scenary doesnt go amiss tho i wouldnt imagine you are busy appreciating the views late on in the race.

Dean - still in awe of your performance, i think i probably owe you an apology saying sub 16 was going to be a tough ask this summer....i've always known you were going to get massive progress off your track splits, but i've been amazed by how quickly you've got the time down - full credit. Addy certainly has  jumped ahead of me at 5km, not much i can do about it right now but looking forward to future head to heads more than ever once im back!

Luvsa - i have no option on not running, although my groin isnt painful walking around i can still feel it hasnt healed and running 5 miles on thurs didnt help so im just having to wait it out. I now understand completely why SG isnt updating on this thread, when you're injured its not always easy to watch everyone racing often and pushing the envelope whilst you drift backwards! Still if it was always easy, the highs wouldnt feel so good. This has definately been my my worst period since i started with running, so i empathise with sg if he's had injury issues even longer - even discussing an injury feels like you're putting a downer on others, we all enjoy hearing about each others pb's but hearing some1 being a miserable bastard with injury aint such an inspiring tale!

21/05/2012 at 09:06

The trick is being able to discuss your injuries as if they are just one big joke. I can't imagine those Jackass guys nursing their injuries with anything but a smile on their face. Maybe we should just talk about our war wounds with an air of acheivment. After all we wouldn't have got them had we not had the guts to risk all; well something, for glory. In my house the mention of injuries doesn't get beyond the odd, oo ah!

21/05/2012 at 10:02

Phil- the 400m sessions i was given when focusing on 5k was 10*400m @ approx 72secs.  My race pace per 400m at that time was approx 78sec per 400m. So from your stats above i would say 90 secs lap. But you will get a better idea at rep 8 if the pace is too easy/hard

chingo - cheers, regards yours/stevie g injury, i think injuries will come to all of us and im as interested as how everyone copes and recovers and overcomes. Your injury came at a bad time, just after the VLM but before you could take that additional fitness for a run at some PBs.  But im sure there isnt one person on this thread that doesnt think you wont come back and start off another PB run.  In fact im counting on it for lake vyrwny!!

UG - i cant compute a 100k race, thats a decent drive in a car let alone running it.

21/05/2012 at 10:04

Chingo, the thing about injuries is that we all get them from time to time and while I understand that they have a downside, there is also a learning process that is useful to share so othes can learn what works and doesn't work and then that collective knowledge can be pulled on when one needs it oneself due to injury.

As an example, I have always worked with a rule of thumb that each week off takes two weeks to reverse: so if you have two weeks off with an injury, it is a month before you are back to the same level. For a small injury this is OK, but if you are off for a month of so, then two months is a long road back and any way to reduce it without upsetting the recovery is useful. It seems you are doing some cycling etc to keep up the cardio / aerobic fitness but things such as weight gain should be easy enough to control. 

Runners get injuries, this is a running forum so we expect to have injured runners on it.

21/05/2012 at 11:07

Phil/Dean - ref 400m are you sure you don't mean 84-6 =78 secs per rep surely if your targeting 17.30, 90 secs too slow?

Off to Physio at 3 for update on hamstring I have been disciplined and not run for 3 days  hoping he says I can light Jog tonight!!

I have been thinking long and hard about training/injuries and I would appreciate your thoughts/comments

Every injury I have had has been brought on by speed training ie fast strides in 14-15 secs or 200m in 28-30 secs I have come to the conclusion that during racing I do not need to run at this pace other than maybe the odd occasion in the very last 100m of a race but to be honest not really even then!! I think I need to grow up and focus on what's best for my body and if I am trying to race 5k and above at between 5.00-5.15 mile pace then adapt my training to this pace and the need to run faster than a 72 sec 400m pace is not really required too often. So this is the plan slow pace down and continue to reduce recovery ie Old session 16*400m in 70's off 60 sec recovery change to 72-75's of 30-45 sec recovery aiming to hit an average pace just under target race pace for 400-600m reps and 800m+ reps at 10k target race pace (5.15) but with the continued emphasis on reducing recovery times!!

I also am considering doing a mixed paced session on the track say 2-3k effort with an array of paces in the effort ie 400m-1 mile pace with small sections a little slower ie 100m at 6-7 mile pace and then pick up again i.e 600 (5min pace),100 recov,1000 (5.15 pace),100 recov,400 (4.50pace), 100 recov, 600 (5.10 min pace)

I am considering doing only one track session per week and changing 2nd to a 20-25 min tempo at say 5.30/40 pace in an 8 mile run.

All my road running is at a good pace and infact at least 2/3 runs per week are progressive runs over 8-10 miles pace starting at 7.10 ish down to approx 6.20 and I do nrt seem to adversley struggle after these.

Sorry to waffle on but I am trying to reduce the reson as to why I get problems and I keep coming back to the same thing fast speed work at aroung 28-30 sec 200m pace puts my legs in a place the obviously don't want to go !!

I really would appreciate any thoughts/question you think the above prompts Thanks in advance

21/05/2012 at 11:13

ahhh! sorry yes, Phil it would be 84 race pace less 6 secs for some 78 reps.   

I thought 90 sounded a bit slow for 400s

21/05/2012 at 11:23
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

ahhh! sorry yes, Phil it would be 84 race pace less 6 secs for some 78 reps.   

I thought 90 sounded a bit slow for 400s

As I had feared, session is tomorrow so I get today to repeat 78 to myself a few times. 

rob, what you say all sounds about right to me, and I have to admit I was surprised that you regularly do 100 and 200 reps: even our middle distance guys (800 and 1500) seldom do such short reps and it tends to be 300m and up. 

The mixed pace sessions you say are quite like what we call rolling sessions so we do 200 hard, 100 cruise, 200 hard, 100 cruise and 200 hard to end for 800 total.

10,441 to 10,460 of 25,818 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.