Moraghan Training - Stevie G

10,461 to 10,480 of 24,119 messages
21/05/2012 at 11:27

Rob, i try to run hard at the track sessions but my other running during the working week is 4m every morning is rarely faster than 7min pace, occasionaly 7.30pace if i am leggy.  Im also not bothered by taking the morning off if i feel really leggy.  Sometimes a day off is much better than fighting another session. This lighter running allows me to recover better to attack the track.  So perhaps with your faster other running + track  you spend a high % of your training running fast? Only you know which session you get better benefits from but i would ease off on one of them.(even only for a few weeks).   

for what its worth I would probably drop a few seconds of the track pace and lower recoveries.

Im heading towards making a decision on my hernia, it was aching after friday night (was ok during the race) and is still aching this morning.  Might give it a couple of weeks and make a call to get it sorted.  so far it hasnt stopped me doing any running. 

21/05/2012 at 11:33

Phil I don't regularly do short reps which is the crazy thing but when I do I seem to pick up a niggle soon after, 100m strides are usually a race prep thing and 200m's I do very infrequent. I tend to forget that they caused problems until it happens again I need a new mantra "NO SHORT REPS, NO SHORT REPS" my speed is obviously good just need to save it until I need it!! only sprinted once last year and that was to win Masters 5k!! so if I'd have got injured then it would have been worth it luckly I didn't!!

21/05/2012 at 12:31

Good running all at the weekend.  Particularly good stuff from SS - you've had a few cracks at that sub-37, so very good work on getting nicely under it with a bit of clear blue water.  Sounds like you're on the verge of a full refresh of all your PBs.  Really fast stuff from Addylad too, that's a 5k time I'd be very happy to have.  And Phil, a 3000 and a 3000 s/c in the same day?  That's a damn fast steeplechase given you'd already cranked out a 3k.

Aborted attempt at my first 20 miler yesterday.  Abandoned at 13 miles due to a need to be at home sooner than I thought (not running related) - so the 20 is gonna have to wait for a couple of weeks.

21/05/2012 at 16:05

Ooh, missed out Bus, sorry!  Good run on a hilly course.  You must be getting sick of Frank turning up at all your pot hunts.

21/05/2012 at 16:43

Yeah, it'd be alright if Frank wasn't another old bloke  . I just hoep I manage to start closing the gap by the time we're V50s! To be fair, he did tell me he was doing Prestwood - I just forgot (not that it would have made any difference!) 

I'm just glad he ran the 20 at Bramley not the 10!!

rob - I'd agree with your analysis for what its worth. Those very short, very fast reps have got to be putting you at unnecessary risk of injury, for little benefit to your target distances (other than being able to sprint like 19 year old!)

DT2
21/05/2012 at 20:37
Well project 'catch dean' is well and truly underway! Battersea park 5k tonight and the first real attempt at a decent time, not quite as mind blowing as deans sub 16, but 16.01 and 19secs of my pb isn't to shabby a starting point! (and yes, it does hurt having that 0.1 there!)
Full report to follow as still on way home at the moment.
21/05/2012 at 21:07

DT2 good new PB chase is on  look forward to full report

Edited: 22/05/2012 at 08:34
22/05/2012 at 09:24

nice work DT2, big PB. Just realised i dont have another 5k until july, im imagining i will need something in the 5.4x to be top of the pile come then.

Rob,  i was thinking of running at Horwich too but will see how i get through the next couple of races and decide... looks a good course

Edited: 22/05/2012 at 09:26
22/05/2012 at 10:03

Horwich is not a fast course it is 3 laps and you do a long drag of a hill 3 times (not steep but a noticible incline) it is considered a tough road 5k hence why times aren't that special!! I think entry deadline might be 2nd June.

22/05/2012 at 12:41

DT2, looks like the gauntlet has been well and truly laid down.  A 3-way tussle between you, Dean and Rob will certainly keep this forum interesting over the summer.  19 seconds off a 5k PB that wasn't exactly very old anyway is very good going, seems like you're back into the swing of PBs again after the marathon.

22/05/2012 at 14:04

Very quick that Dt2 - nice one! (I suspect its not the 0.01 that hurts though, but the 0.02). Sure it won't be long before you go under though.

Any southerners doing the Chesham Jubilee 5k on Mon 4th June? It's billed as fast and flat.

Intervals at lunchtime. Bit shabby though, as not recovered from Sunday's race, did a double yesterday and warmth came as a bit of a shock! Aimed for 8 x 0.5M, but ended up with 5 x 0.5M and a pedestrian 2 x 0.25M all with 90 sec rec.

Bloody GPS is being a bit weird too - it was out on both runs yesterday, and recorded my first two 0.5M as 2:35 today (I wish, but know they were short by about 10 secs).  Grrr - need to get to a track! Bloody annoying having a great track I can see from my office window, but I'm not paying £8.30 to use it that's for sure!

22/05/2012 at 14:14

Bus- Couldn't you join the club(s) that train there as second claim and use facitility?

Southern Boys what is Battersey Park like to run in there is a 10k there on 4 August at 8.00am when I'm down at Olympics is it worth racing?

22/05/2012 at 14:28

Rob, its the same park DT2 ran his 5k last night, and his time would indicate a fast flat course,  i have only warmed up around it as i played hockey on the astro there, from memory its flat.

22/05/2012 at 14:56

Did my reps on a scorching track, summer is really here! The pace was arrived at using an ambitious 5k target of 17:30 which is 84, came out as 81, 78, 81, 78, 77, 77, 76, 76, 77, 77 so average of 77.8. Wind made the first few a bit hard to judge as half the track was headwind and half was tailwind and I was doing 400, then 200 walk/jog so the next rep had the wind in reverse. My Garmin actually has the 76s at sub 5 minute/mile pace, first time I have seen a 4.xx for a long while.

bus, Chesham no.
robt, Battersea Park is flat and fast, DT2 has a lot of fast times there and also odd distances (only certified 2 mile race so you should get a top UK rating). I think Aug 4th is the inaugral High Wycombe parkrun so I will be there.

Edited: 22/05/2012 at 14:56
22/05/2012 at 15:12

Phil - Good 400's 17.30 should be achievable off those times I would try and bring your recovery down prob worked out at 90-120 secs need to get down to 60 secs and keep hitting that 78 target well done

Battersea in Aug is a 10k not sure great idea as no doubt will have a few beers Friday as with 4 mates on a "old farts" Olympic weekend will decide nearer the time

22/05/2012 at 15:33
robT wrote (see)

Phil - Good 400's 17.30 should be achievable off those times I would try and bring your recovery down prob worked out at 90-120 secs need to get down to 60 secs and keep hitting that 78 target well done

Pretty good guess there Rob, and tough task master. Recovery was betwen 90 and 120 seconds. If it is 60 I assume that is just get a breath and go again for the start / finish line. 

Will try again later this week. I need to do a medium run (15 miles) and another track and a recovery so any ideas on order? I am thinking medium tomorrow, recovery Thursday and track again Friday.

22/05/2012 at 16:30

RE SG, it's hard to come and talk running when your not running yourself. You can feel like the guy who sits in the corner sulking at a party. But I'd rather have that than nothing, not the same without SG telling my sessions are mental and my training is unstructured (which it is!). Although he would have been proud of my bank time and hang on performance on Sunday. 5:24 first mile, 6:09 last mile!

Hope the injuries are working through and Chingo if your biking your aerobic fitness will still be fine. Just a bit of tuning up will be needed.

Nice session there Phil, I don't think 17:30 is ambitious, I'm going for that as a minimum this year with 17:20 as my stretch target.

Bit hot for a track session tonight... oh well... here goes.

22/05/2012 at 16:45

Battersea Park. A happy hunting ground for me. PB Half Marathon, and my first sub 34 min 10k.

5 mile race there 26th August.

RE SG also. I keep giving him hints to come back and post but he's not having it. My missus reckons he's paranoid. I can't see it myself, anyone would think people are talking about him.

22/05/2012 at 18:06
Phil - I agree if your planning a 15 tomorrow then recovery thur track Friday
I would just hang around and start from where you finish as 60 secs goes pretty quick. A small point though I would suggest doing something different to keep it interesting say 3/4 x 1k with 2 mins at 3.30 pace (race pace) then bring recovery down to 90secs over a couple of weeks and get to 5 reps !! Have fun
22/05/2012 at 18:53

Whenever I've tried 60 sec recs on 400m I've found it really hard to maintain any sort of pace! What's the best way to build? Increasing reps on long recoveries, less recovery, faster reps?

Trouble with joining the local club Rob, is they only have access Tue and Thurs evenings and at weekends as far as I can tell, and I'm not in Aylesbury then. It's also £70 pa!

10,461 to 10,480 of 24,119 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.