Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,381 to 12,400 of 26,825 messages
13/09/2012 at 20:38

andy - there is lots of good advice out there but for my tilt at a mara in 2104 i will be following  Philip_M_Jones plan.   not just the training but particularly the tactics in the race. 

I would start in reverse and read his tactics in his race report on this thread (and the sub 3hr thread i think) from the VLM this yr. then go back and see what training was needed. 

Edited: 13/09/2012 at 20:39
13/09/2012 at 20:53

Not sure about training being a way to predict performance. I don't have a clue how I'm going to run from one race to the next!  If somebody could tell me it'd save me the bother sometimes.

Another 8.75 tonight. Well deserved day off running tomorrow!

13/09/2012 at 21:23
Stevie G . wrote (see)

welcome UG old mate!  I hoped a bit of cheeky banter about your session might draw you out....and it did!! You've just been reading all this time haven't you!

stay posting fella.

ps if i tried a week of your training i'd be retired within a week guaranteed. Clearly i was judging your training off what I could do...we all know you're an utter monster!

pps Luvsa...you dead mun?

No SG!  Just lurking jealously at all you fasties.  Struggling with niggles such as a sore left quad & right shin splint at the mo, so the usual 70 mile weeks have had to be clipped somewhat.  Keeping it together for Abo next month.  My speed session for this week is.................Maidenhead half

13/09/2012 at 21:31

Good to hear from you Luvsa, and seems sending a call out for people always works!!

Have a good race at Maidenhead pal..fingers crossed for niggles easing!

13/09/2012 at 21:59

blimey, seems like everyone is Lurking out there somewhere - best be careful what we say!

Evening Luvsa! Best of luck for Maidenhead, and hope it all stays together for Abingdon - after all your efforts you deserve this one to go well...

Andy, I get where you're coming from - altogether more preferable to do 110 miles week in, week out than get a bit  annoyed for the last 3 miles in a marathon . Just kidding - it'll all be worth it when you monster Chester. I'm not sure those last 3 miles will feel any nicer, but they sure as hell will be quicker!  Have you done Chester before?

13/09/2012 at 22:05

Good to see you're still there Luvsa - although I did see you last month at Yateley.

I'm having some last minute jitters about marathon goal paces.  I'd pretty much settled on 2:48 as a goal (6:25mm pace).  To be honest, I though that was a fairly sensible, conservative target, based on shorter distance times (e.g. 1:17:23 for a hilly HM) and the paces I'd been hitting without trying to on some of my long runs.  However, in the last month or two, I've been finding that 6:20-6:30 range harder to hit, and feeling about the same as 6:10-6:15 did earlier in the summer.  Tonight was a case in point, with 10m done at 6:30 pace but feeling like 6:15 pace at slowest (i.e. quicker than I want to be running a marathon at).

Am I getting worried over nothing?  I'm still PBing at shorter distances after all.  Is this pre- big match nerves?

13/09/2012 at 22:12

Thanks Stevie & Bus!  Haven't run a half since Wokingham in Feb?, so looking forward  to running in anger for 13 miles

Dachs- I would just say, get to 20 miles in one piece first, then perform a body stock take, then hopefully smash on! 

13/09/2012 at 22:21

By the way, Dean, I hope you won't wait until 2104 before entering a marathon.  You may be a machine, but even you may struggle to complete one at 131.

13/09/2012 at 23:36
Another speed endurance session this evening down at track.
3.5m warm up at 7:20mm
10 X 1609 in between 5:48 an 5:59.
1.76 m run home, enjoyed it though. A bit confidence in the bank now.
13/09/2012 at 23:37
I'll have a look back for phils london marathon report an tactics in the morning
14/09/2012 at 06:39
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

. I mean, how the hell can you surprise your rivals in a race when they see all your training and know your ability?

hmmm...how did that work out for Mo farah and Usian Bolt then.  Because Jupp and Blake trained with and knew their ability.  

And that is exactly why Farah was faster than Jupp, and exactly why Bolt was faster than Blake.  They'd seen what their training partners were capable of, and therefore knew enough about them to deal with them. Its basic psychology. Jupp and Blake thought they would beat their training partners. Farah and Bolt knew they would beat theirs. 

I beginning to wonder how I got to this discussion. I do know that at some point, to prove the training I do is okish, I have to get a result. So, some pressure there.

Edited: 14/09/2012 at 08:43
14/09/2012 at 09:03

Dachs, it's natural to get a bit of pre race nerves, and with a marathon that can only be heightened, as it's not like you can just pick another one in a month or 2 in case as per other distances.

You'll be fine old son...although you've hyped the pressure on yourself by being an "obvious forum presence"

Andy, cripes man....am I right in thinking that your sub 1hr 17 half was wildly over what you were hoping for?

As if you can do 10 x1mile reps in the bands you mentioned you sound like you're going great guns!

Edited: 14/09/2012 at 09:04
14/09/2012 at 10:11

Andy - great session - im looking to include session similar but not until later in the yr.  What recoveries were you off?

14/09/2012 at 10:17
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Andy, cripes man....am I right in thinking that your sub 1hr 17 half was wildly over what you were hoping for?

As if you can do 10 x1mile reps in the bands you mentioned you sound like you're going great guns!

Stevie G- i suppose the word really for the 1:16:50 would be satisfied because the previous PB was off the 60-65mpw training for Manchester marathon with hardly anything between Manchester marathon and the Chester Half, so it was a bit frustrating to not get a sub75 min clocking as a result of all the hard work.

the only thing i could put it down to would be the stomach ache that started at about 3miles, this just seemed to make it that bit harder to sustain the pace. the stomach eased up at about 11 1/2 miles in but its a bit late then. These things just make us more determined to suceed the next time though.

yesterday after running the 2m to the track the legs felt a bit flat so rather than write off the session i jogged round another 5 laps of the track, which somehow really helped so i really was "up for the session" after a thorough warm up 

really starting to feel tempted to go for 2:45 in Chester rather than a sensible sub3.

dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

Andy - great session - I'm looking to include session similar but not until later in the yr.  What recoveries were you off?

Cheers Dean, recoveries were 75secs. never done that session before so very happy to of completed it.

Edited: 14/09/2012 at 10:20
14/09/2012 at 10:35
Dachs wrote (see)

I'm having some last minute jitters about marathon goal paces.  I'd pretty much settled on 2:48 as a goal (6:25mm pace).  To be honest, I though that was a fairly sensible, conservative target, based on shorter distance times (e.g. 1:17:23 for a hilly HM) and the paces I'd been hitting without trying to on some of my long runs.  However, in the last month or two, I've been finding that 6:20-6:30 range harder to hit, and feeling about the same as 6:10-6:15 did earlier in the summer.  Tonight was a case in point, with 10m done at 6:30 pace but feeling like 6:15 pace at slowest (i.e. quicker than I want to be running a marathon at).

Am I getting worried over nothing?  I'm still PBing at shorter distances after all.  Is this pre- big match nerves?

Dachs - it's only natural to struggle to hit MP as you get towards taper time because of the accumulated fatigue. Even in taper you may well find you'll struggle to hit it too as it takes a while for the body to freshen up and feel right at that pace. If you've judged it right, MP should feel like, well, MP, in just over 2 weeks. You've put in some very nice training from what I've seen, so keep the faith. A 2:48 (and quicker) is well within your range.

14/09/2012 at 11:02

Talking of lurkers and letters I see DT2 blasted a 10 mile round Battersea (55:49) at the weekend which leaves him =28 for his age group and would be nice to se Dean have a pop at a 10 mile as weel to see how they compare. Still, there are even faster people ahead of him, he needs 5 minutes more to get to the top spot.

Edited: 14/09/2012 at 11:02
14/09/2012 at 11:04

is that the age group that isn't a proper age group Phil? ie 35 and over ? 

14/09/2012 at 11:44

BTW it's Rupp, not Jupp!

Dachs - I'd be surprised if you didn't hit low 2:4X with the training and racing you have been doing. I did 2:45 on a bit of a tougher course than Berlin last year (windy and a smidgen hilly). That was off a 1:17 half on a suspected short course, a 36:01 10km and a few feeble attempts at doing 8km time trials on my own in under 28:00, which never succeeded. You are way ahead on all those counts so I'm sure you'll be flying.

14/09/2012 at 12:03

thats a tasty 10m from DT2, we were due to race in a fortnight at the robin hood half.  I was hoping he would drag me round to get into the 73s but i have decided to concentrate on the XC training for now.  However i will be in the crowd as my brothers are running it so will cheer DT on.  If he gets a 72 my "I should have run it" radar will be going off

14/09/2012 at 12:41

Cheers, chaps, that's put my mind at rest.  Too much thinking, that's my problem. 

I did wonder about the Jupp thing.  Not sure Mo would consider comedian Miles Jupp from Balamory to be a 10,000m rival.

12,381 to 12,400 of 26,825 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.