Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,441 to 12,460 of 24,133 messages
16/09/2012 at 21:07
Yeah I'm pushing hard at the moment bit put out after mot racing well recently. Hopefully with this base period it will be the start of slightly more structured training. Will look into the cabbage patch, not ran 10 miles this year.
16/09/2012 at 21:15

Warren, nice work there, pressure free run, and sounds like you comfortably brought the HMP out of the locker. Must have been fun monstering a stack of people too.

SS, CP would be an ideal one, to meet a bunch of us down here, as well as what must be one of the fastest 10milers in the country.

16/09/2012 at 21:26

So PMJ, does the sub 40 mean your in for CP?  You've still got 5 weeks to get some more fitness back.

More hopeful after today but it still looks a long way away. I may be tempted like PC2 to run the Tadley 10 but it is the week before CP. Think the next step is to do another 10k and see if it is somewhat more reasonable so South Bucks 10k on Sunday Sep 30th is 2 weeks away so time to improve and not too late to enter.

I am off to Russia next Saturday for a week so that knocks a week out of the schedule.

16/09/2012 at 21:33

Phil, i guessed incorrectly with PC...not Tadley!

Russia for a week! How the other half live! Enjoy...get back to speed to re-join the sunday runs!

16/09/2012 at 21:37
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ric, so it was down to you he broke the record then

Looking at the stats, the record isn't his. Looks like his Hillingdon 5 was 2secs quicker than his Victory 5, but now it's about 4th in the record books.

Was the Hillingdon 5 the same course as the one I ran twice in the early 2000s?ie starts down a bit of a hill, but then you have the hill at the end too?

Yes thats the course. Phil ran around it four times back to back before the London marathon.

Well done on your 5 miler. Couldn't hack a start like that myself. Difficult to hold back with all the adrenaline flowing though. Now days I try to visualise what a even race pace might be and as a result set off at what appears to be three quarters speed. Can be difficult to concentrate as runners go streaming by for the first mile or so.

TR
16/09/2012 at 21:49

SG - nice one on the time at the Victory 5 today. That prom by the M275 is a stonesthrow from where I live, it was used for the evening 5Ks, but they have now moved to the top end of the Victory 5 course at the business park. The Same prom from the 5M is also used for the D Day 10k. All pancake flat but it is very rare to have a still day round here, today you got one. Sometimes just making forward progress is hard on there.

The Victory 5 is a long standing race (used to be in December) and run in the afternoons to allow more travelling time and is reknowned to attract lots of really fast runners similar to the Chichester 10k (that race is worth you travelling to it if you like a fast course), so as far as I understand it the idea of the 10k today was to attract newbies over a more recognisable distance than 5M, and to keep them separate from the speed merchants, as they otherwise wouldnt turn up if it was only the 5M to choose from.

Gosport 1/2 is pancake flat too, but its only worth the travel if its not windy, again if you're after a fast time.

16/09/2012 at 21:49

SG - fantastic stuff!  You've had a long and frustrating wait for a PB in anything, so it's fantastic to see you back and racing well, you've had a long road.  Sub-28 too, sounds like it was well worth the round trip.  I'd have thought sub-28 also makes a sub-35 10K look a distinct possibility.  Things starting to look tastier for a CP race-off then...

Speaking of which, I thought DT2 was running Amsterdam the weekend of CP?  Don't think he'll be there.  No doubt he won't mind if we all break into his place and make ourselves at home though.

Good to see light at the end of the tunnel for both PMJ and Warren, sure it'll come back quickly. SS - you haven't been racing too badly though - that string of 5k PBs wasn't that long ago.

16-miler for me yesterday, as a reduced taper style long run.  Averaged 6:43 pace, and broadly progressive, starting slowly (impossible not to at 6:30 am really) and working up to final miles of 6:19 and, for fun, 6:04.  Mileage to be much reduced this week.  Main problem is going to be not stuffing my face with food all the time, as I won't be able to burn it all off.

16/09/2012 at 22:01
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Russia for a week! How the other half live!

Interesting few weeks coming up. We have had a Chinese guy leave our biggest competitor so he is going to spill the beans over the next few weeks so I tell my kids I am interviewer a Chinese defector. In Russia I still have to be on my best behaviour as a couple of visits back we got swept up by the FSB and finger-printed and warned about any mis-conduct in the next year or so. Fun with visa this time: not enough pages left in the passport so it is a 24 hour express replacement and then a 24 hour express visa which all cost £££ but luckily it isn't me footing the bill. May try Bar 60 which is 60 stories up for brunch.

17/09/2012 at 07:57

TR, ta pal. It's funny, compared to 99% of courses I've done, I'd define yesterday as "a bit windy", yet I'm sure you're spot on when you say you can get real heavy winds down there. It was the same when I did Gosport in 2010, I thought it was a bit windy on the airfield, yet speaking to people they told me it was still "comparatively".

How come they not only moved the Victory 5 to September, but moved the time to 11am then?  Certainly helps not having the risk of December weather.

Will have a look at the Chichester race. Certainly spoilt for choice down your way, with Eastleigh, Stubbington Green, Great South Run, and the races we've mentioned! Should probably move there!!

Dachs, ta fella. You're right, DT2 won't be there, my mistake... I may well have left you off the summary list too, as I didn't want to make exactly the mistake I made with DT2...ie involving someone who's racing a marathon that clashes! But clearly not, and will be good to see you there.

16 at 6.43 is really smoking, great run! I bet you had  cigar on as well at that pace!

Phil, no gardening leave for that chap? In my company's business, if you leave for a direct competitor it's normally a 6-9month gardening leave job! Which sounds terrific fun...full wages for doing nothing?!Behave!

17/09/2012 at 08:00

ps happy birthday Phil, old son

17/09/2012 at 09:26

had a good look through the other Portsmouth races mentioned.

Seems the Victory 5 is the real flagship event, as the D Day June 10k, only had 312 finishers, and only 8 sub 35.

And the 5ks are quite small fields, lowest at 117 and highest at 164. Ranges from 7 to 13 runners sub 17.

Are 5  5k races in the series though, 1 per month April through August.

Any of the southern lot reckon they'd fancy joining me for a trip down there for one of those next year? All on wednesdays.

17/09/2012 at 13:11

SG - I could be up for an evening 5K trip, depending on other events of course.  In addition, I vaguely had in mind that the Eastleigh 10K would be one of my A races next year, as an attempt to nail the 33:xx, depending on form at the time of course.

PMJ - happy birthday.  What did you do to upset the Russians last time then?  Hope you're not planning on eating any sushi.

Missed Ric's gruesome discovery.  What an appalling thing to stumble across on a run.

17/09/2012 at 13:37

nice one Dachs, we'll have plenty of attempts to plan it, as they have 5 over 5 months!

Eastleigh I've been meaning to do the last 2 years but things have put it off. I looked a few years back and I think the standard was something like top 100 under 36mins, which sounds epic!

17/09/2012 at 14:51

Happy birthday Philip!  Getting any running done whilst in Russia?

If you get a chance, could you post a link to your last years Shardeloes garmin trace?

ta

17/09/2012 at 14:54

I'd be up for a summer 5k if there is a trip on the cards next year.

Did an SG at lunch-time and found a tenner on a run (and not a body in a tree): must definitely be my birthday then. Startingto feel I have turned the corner, easy runs are getting to feel easy again.

Dachs: I have about 30 Russians work for me just outside Sarov. From wikipedia: Sarov (Russian: ????????????) is a closed town in Nizhny Novgorod Oblast, Russia. Closed means there is a f**king great wall round it and men with machine guns, vodka and a trigger happy finger. The authorities wanted to encourage foreign investment which is hard in such a scenario so they built a number of offices outside the wall and we rented space in one of these. All worked well for a while until they re-designated the exclusion zone and included our office in the exclusion zone so now we need to go through 12 levels of bureaucracy to get to visit our office. Last time we somehow completed 11 stages and missed the 12th so when we got there, they rolled up and arrested us and would not release us without a hefty fine: fairly typical money making ploy. For a long while I have wanted to rent a car in Russia but am told that the hire car number plates are easily recognisable and the police read them as "I am a foreigner, please relieve me of hard currency."

17/09/2012 at 14:56
The Bus wrote (see)

Happy birthday Philip!  Getting any running done whilst in Russia?

If you get a chance, could you post a link to your last years Shardeloes garmin trace?

ta

May do a little, but the 4 hour time shift means runing at what feels like 3am so it is slow.

Here is Shardeloes: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/115223663

17/09/2012 at 15:01

Good stuff Phil, we'll have a little road trip for sure, maybe wheeling Dachs along into the bargain too.

Love the Russia report...reminds me of the film the Chernobyl Diaries, so i can picture an exclusion zone, and overzealous guards!

If anyone needs to know who you are, just tell them you're a big wheel on the SG thread on RW. That should do it.

17/09/2012 at 15:27

that or you will end up in siberia!

I did a stint in russia for work....Philip do you still need to keep money in the picture page of your passport in case you get stopped by the police.  Mind you i was in moscow so didnt have walls with machine guns on 

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 15:28
17/09/2012 at 15:28

Just had a look at the results from Swallowfield yesterday and it is surprising how many of the top runners got PBs or SBs on what I think of as a slow course. Last year I was a full minute faster at Richmond than Swallowfield but Wool was 9 seconds faster this year the other way round. Slightly hacked off to have lost a few x-0 wining streaks, so I am now 13-1 against Wool which was always odd as we had a lot of very close races.

17/09/2012 at 15:31

Dean, where I go is as removed from Moscow as you can be. Moscow is pretty much like any other major European city (starbucks, MacDonalds etc) but Sarov is like something you see in a 1930s black and white movie: they still cut hay by hand *with a sickle) and collect it on a horse and cart.

12,441 to 12,460 of 24,133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.