Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,461 to 12,480 of 27,352 messages
17/09/2012 at 15:59

Always interesting to have a look at local results.

Few thoughts strike me straight away

The Datchet mini bus wheels to another event, although quite big chunks between your 4 top guys for once, rather than the normal block race approach.

Chap in 4th is a notorious 10k pot hunt merchant.Unlucky to come up againa Datchet team outing. Looking at his power of 10 record he's actually picked up 3wins at 10k on UKA races....a 36.20 win at Chiltern chase! That race has been won in 33s before, so he did well that day.

I believe he was about 20secs ahead of me at the wycombe 10k too.

Chap in 6th is coming on majorly...massive pb, and now right into the low 36s, one to watch in the upcoming xcs methinks.

A few years ago I preferred to come high up the field, but these days give me a fast flat race, with a quality field any day. One where there's little chance of not having someone fast to pull you along.

I can still recall races which are low key where you end up running 3-4miles on your own and you have to remember you're in a race!

ps Stevie See, when you read this later, I was so hyped up by the race yesterday that I was looking up all sorts of running stuff, and I think i read that your 17:23 5k pb was a mere 60th in the race! Now that's one hell of a quality field!!

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 16:07
17/09/2012 at 16:24

SG - to jump to the defence of my clubmate a bit, I'm not sure it's that fair to call him a pot-hunt merchant.  He races a lot, including big races as well, so he's bound to pick up the odd win here and there.  I don't know him well, so I can't speak for him, but last time I was talking to him, I got the impression that he done the same local races so many times that he was a little bored of them, and was maybe choosing slightly more unusual ones.

17/09/2012 at 16:42

Fair enough Dachs. Mind you, I've noticed he has won the 3.5M race option of the Medmenham 10 a couple of times by a big margin from the mainly junior or newby field, which must count as an easy win, but who can blame him when there's a meal for two as an almost guaranteed prize ?

Nothing wrong with a bit of pot hunting I reckon!

Thanks for the trace Philip. Sounds pretty grim in Sarov!

17/09/2012 at 16:49

Successful pot hunting is a skill.  So far, I have failed miserably.

17/09/2012 at 16:53

it was only a light hearted quip Dachs, I know the type you see, as I was one of those a few years ago, albiet it slower, and I had to pick even more bootleg races!

I've told the story many a time at my club of the time mocking me for winning the 5k version of a 10k race, and this was a club who never won anything!

But don't worry, he's a good lad, have chatted to him myself. I was very temporarily pleased to hear he'd turned 40 this year, thinking it had boosted me into the top 3 at Wycombe, only to discover they'd chosen to give him 2nd/3rd senior rather than 1st vet.

Bus, you and those meal for 2s, you're obsessed! Does that count as a great prize to gents of a certain age?

But seriously Bus, your'e right, pot hunting is all good.And you should know, I read someone on the internet saying you're the biggest V40 pot hunter in these parts

17/09/2012 at 16:56
Dachs wrote (see)

Successful pot hunting is a skill.  So far, I have failed miserably.

come under my wing me laddee. For a fee, I'll set you up at a race you'll win.

You will suffer the scorn of your clubmates though  

17/09/2012 at 17:30

Who was that then SG?? Nice to know my fame proceeds me!  There may be something in what he says, but have to say my race choice strategy is more to do with ease of getting to the race and (being a tight git) cost than anything else!  Just a happy coincidence that it leads to many small local races where only Frankie can stop me from winning one of those high value trophies with a plastic runner on top. The attraction of the meal for two type prize is an easy one to explain - if I win one of those it would keep the Mrs off my case for a bit about doing so many races

Dachs - just enter some of the races I do!

17/09/2012 at 17:31

PS SG - might be doing my long run Wednesday, early evening if you are about? Might not have access to transport though...

17/09/2012 at 17:38

Just joshing, don't worry, it was only  me...on this thread, 2 posts ago

I know your reasons are 100% fine, and whilst I envy the prize picking up, I don't envy the lack of freedom to do a race when you fancy. Maybe I'll understand that one day! Having said that, I still have to get my races approved, but from a different source!!

Most Wednesday's I'd take you up on that, but this Wed I've got to pack in a morning 8mile run, circa 8/9am, as I've 2 days off work to drive to Manchester for the United champions league game.

Luckily it fits the training quite well, as usually I'm given the Tuesday off, which would have meant a re-shuffle, but instead it's

M     4m x2
T      4m x2
W     8m x1
Th   OFF

But, we'll definitely try and get the run to something like a regular thing...are your future Wednesday's looking promising?

TR
17/09/2012 at 18:28

Steive G - D Day 10K used to be an evening race but they made it a Sunday morning and now its less popular. I guess moving the Victory 5 to Sept is to avoid some of the bad weather it used to cop in December.
Eastleigh is fast, but a race to travel for IMO is the Chichester Priory 10k in February, its fast and the depth is good (have a search for previous results). Also its more sheltered than the seafront races so less wind affected. I wouldnt travel for one of the evening 5ks if I were you, as even on a nice day an evening sea breeze will probably kick up. I rarely run those 5Ks and I can jog to the start.

Hants Road Race League and Hants XC are both strong compared to some other local races so are good races for folks that like to race/chase times. Neither floats my boat, I simply try to maintain my sub3 streak at VLM and do a couple of Tri's each year.

17/09/2012 at 18:34

Appreciate the local feedback TR, good insider knowledge. 

Chichester got a mention on the middle ground thread today, someone said the last 3k are downhill, but 4-7k are inclines? But still fast then? And more depth then Eastleigh? That sounds amazing, as Eastleigh is hugely fast...top 100 under 36?

I'll take your warning on the spring/summer 5ks, but a local couple of good runners travelled last June I think, and both came out a good 20-30secs faster than I've seen them do before. Maybe they got agood day?

What's the actual route? Couldn't find a hint on line...does it start at the Mountbatten centre? I think you mentioned it takes in some of the middle part of the Victory 5?

ps how long does it take for RW to approve my pic...getting annoyed by this blackened click to change pic..grrr

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 18:35
TR
17/09/2012 at 18:49

Chichester is pretty flat until 5 or 6K, theres a short sharp climb at Lavant and then the last few k are all down a very gradual slope. So maybe 4-7K rises a bit, but not much. Results show 50th place was 34:20 this year.

The 5K route was from the car park outside the Mountbatten centre up round the sea wall and back (like the Victory 5). But its now at the business park up by the M27 (top end of the Victory 5 route), I never ran any of them this year. I have only done the 5Ks as training runs after a bike or swim so dont know how the compare with other courses as I havnt run 5k anywhere else.

Chichester 10k

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 18:54
17/09/2012 at 19:24

Looks like quite an even battle between the Chichester and Eastleigh races, with the former being a smaller race by 500runners.

http://www.runningmania.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2012BQEastleigh10kResult.pdf

50th in both events is 34:20 v 34:34, so very nip and tuck!

Conclusion, both look decent, so it may come down to a timing issue...whether Chichester clashes with our last xc race...and what the weather's like, as March is usually fine.

As for 5ks, we have a summer series where they are all undulating road, or grassy laps, or park runs! The one 5k I'd found that was meant to be fast, at Charndon was called off twice for weather...in May and summer!

17/09/2012 at 20:22

Speaking of both Chichester and pot-hunting, this chap is the absolute master: http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=3369

17/09/2012 at 20:25

you can tell that guy just simply loves to run and race. 36years old and doing loads of track races! He's even got the incredibly rare "Quarter Marathon" on his record!

TR
17/09/2012 at 20:26

Someone told me that he works part time and then spends his weekends cleaning up at local races, doesnt win any pots in the Chichester 10k though.

17/09/2012 at 20:30

that is a distinct advantage to all of us who work furiously hard and struggle to fit our miles in (whistles uncomfortably....)

17/09/2012 at 21:22

Pretty much 75% doing the Cabbage Patch. Come at the perfect time as I've penciled in an easy week before hand.

I've hard lots about the Eastleigh 10k, very quick. Some guys from up here go to do it so it must be fast!

17/09/2012 at 21:25

top work Stevie man! Be great to finally meet one of key members of this thread!

There was a guy who looked just like you at the start of the Victory 5...i almost called out. Then realised how ridiculous that would have been, bearing in mind you were probably 300miles away

17/09/2012 at 21:41
Stevie G . wrote (see)

top work Stevie man! Be great to finally meet one of key members of this thread!

There was a guy who looked just like you at the start of the Victory 5...i almost called out. Then realised how ridiculous that would have been, bearing in mind you were probably 300miles away

You see me on the face of every runner! It must be love!  It'll be great to meet everyone and have a blast at a top course. It's a reet trek so an over night stop is needed so I'll look into premier inns in the area etc.

Got a decent session lined up tomorrow. 20 mins @ mara pace then turn back retracing my steps. The idea is I run it quicker and continue past the start point, thus covering more ground. Tough one I reckon.

12,461 to 12,480 of 27,352 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.