Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,481 to 12,500 of 24,107 messages
17/09/2012 at 21:42

Grrrrr, bloody CP! No matter what ideas I come up with, a solution that gets me to run it still eludes me!

Must be easy to pot hunt when you can run times like that to be fair!  I mean, look at that Mo Farh - only turns up in east London when he knows there a chance of beating those few blokes who can be arsed to get to Stratford,....

That's a lot of races to be fair!

SG - Wednesdays is as good a day as any, but only really works when I can wangle working at home, so would have to be on a case by case basis....

17/09/2012 at 21:49

Darn your complicated life Bus. Why can't you be 10years younger, have an embarrasing lack of commitments, and be all about the running as your first priority

We will certainly work the runs out case by case. Generally any day you're working from home, we could fit something in. But it depends on whether you're willing to come down near my work at lunchtime, possibly only for a 4miler, meaning you'd maybe need to amend your own session round it.

I appreciate you'll have your set plan like I will...

i guess, a reccy at the start of each week to discuss options would be the way forward.

18/09/2012 at 09:22

Stevie S - maybe one of the thread could house you the night before CP?  

i have met him and he appears house trained (although i would put any perroni's to the back of the fridge, out of sight!)

18/09/2012 at 09:44

I often wish that myself SG - though I'd probably make it at least 15 years younger!

Mind you, that'd really spoil the V40 po t hunting!

18/09/2012 at 11:15
I don't see why you can't stay at mine if you want SS, got a fairly decent sofa bed you can kip on. Think the plan is just to drive down to Twickenham in the morning, can't be dealing with the train. I'm probably half way between you and London so would break the journey up well. Have a think about in anyway and see if that suits.

Can't you make CP Bus, I was hoping to run with you!

Hip pain is back in a serious way, looks like enforced rest is required, 4.5 yesterday morning wasn't too bad, 7.5 last night included 5.5 of pain making me almost limp
Edited: 18/09/2012 at 11:19
18/09/2012 at 11:47

Good offer Seb, if circumstances allowed I'd have offered the same, maybe one day not too far off!

Seb, do you do any hip work? I can feel mine a little each day, though not on actual running, and am utterly fastidious about strengthening it a couple of times a day.

If you want any tips on the exercises let me know...no substitute for proper physio advice, but might help

ps Bus you'll be there, you're just giving it the old hard to get!

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 11:47
18/09/2012 at 11:51

'fraid not Seb. It's my son's birthday, and I've been given a 3 line whip to be there for the early morning present opening fest!  I've tried to come up with all sorts of plans (and bribes) to get past this, but to no avail. Kids eh? He also stopped me doing the Marlow Half in 2003 by having the audacity to be born the week before! No consideration!

Hip doesn't sound good - is it ITB related do you know? If so, foam rolling the IT band and related stretches can really help and rapidly.

18/09/2012 at 14:11
Some funny banter going on here especially like the inconsiderate child was born the week before the marlow half comment, by bus.

Managed 8x800m in 2:37-2:38 interestingly my training partner thought 1:15 sec recoverys would be to much because the last session of 800's had 2 min recoverys so I did 1:15 recoverys but never said much about it at the time so am now wondering if there is a bit of a placebo effect to recoverys. again I felt I could of done them in 2:35s but would have to miss the next couple of runs so it would just be counter productive to be honest. Had 2 days off last week on friday and then sunday so ended on 102m last week. Just 1 more big week to go till the allmighty boring taper time.
18/09/2012 at 14:57

Suspect you'll be ready for the taper by then Andy after those miles!

Despite feeling very jaded beforehand, I went for reps today too (though somewhat slower than yours Andy!) 6 x 0.5M aiming at target 10k pace, so 5:45mm ish. Difficult to judge well on road with a slight incline/decline so came out as 2:54, 2:51, 2:45, 3:48, 2:47, 2:46 then 2 x 0.25M in 1:21, 1:16. All off 90 sec recovery. Felt good at the end, so was tempted to do a couple more 0.25s but decided against it as will be doing my long run tomorrow and racing on Sunday.

18/09/2012 at 15:38

2.48 i presume Bus? You didn't just toke on a cigar for a minute?

You love the 1/2mile reps though, quite a nice distance for a rep on the road i think.Nice work.

What race is it sunday then?

18/09/2012 at 15:55
The bus- in fairness intervals are allot harder on the road as I found out the 1 time I tried them with lurker. You may be tired so its good that you didn't just give up to be honest. Though I also reckon you did the sensible thing not doing reps till you were absolutely washed out, I dont see the sense in that to be honest, only my opinion though, not fact or science based.
18/09/2012 at 15:59

Oops - yep 2:48! Yeah, the 1/2M reps work well as a substitute for a proper 800m. The stretch of cycle track I run them on starts 1M from work, and then is just over a mile before any proper road crossings and is reasonably flat and very quiet.  Works quite well with even numbers, as the slight incline on the way out means the ones on the way back are always a bit easier!

Shardeloes 10k Sunday - hilly off-road job. Passes about 1M from my house at one point!

18/09/2012 at 16:00

cross post Andy -I agree re the washed out bit. Counter productive to the next session if you're not careful!

18/09/2012 at 16:12

bus, if you want a similar mileage, but harder session, havea  crack at what I did the other week.

1mile 10k pace, 60secs, 2miles tempo, 60secs, 2x600 at 3k pace (60sec in between).

Actually that's obviously 1200metres higher mileage!

(tempo being 5secs quicker than HMP)

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 16:14
18/09/2012 at 17:22

How do you measure the 600s? Did you do it at the track?

Quite fancy the 3 x 2M session again in the build up to Marlow.

18/09/2012 at 17:45
Bit complicated though stevie g. After a few reps my brains useless so I have to keep it simple to be honest.
18/09/2012 at 18:00

Blimey Andy, if 3 stages with the same recovery is complicated, I wouldn't drive after a race if I were you!

Bus, i worked it out at the time, 600m is 0.3x of a mile, so kept checking when i was close.

More awkward at the track, as 8laps at tempo would feel awkward, then you have those little 9metres per mile to add on!

right, second 4miler of the day done...now for the usual 20min stretching plan.

8miles easy tomorrow morning, then Manchester trip sees me through until Friday when the schedule re-commences.

18/09/2012 at 18:07

I don't take liberties, but in my house no-one ever tells or expects me to do anything ever. I mean, I even raced at Sutton Park the day my dad passed away.

Just kidding. About being told what to do. My mother told me to go to Sutton Park because she'd got wind of the run being part of a relay, and was of the opinion that as a team man, my dad wouldn't expect me to bale out on his account. 

18/09/2012 at 18:08
andy the deestrider. wrote (see)
Bit complicated though stevie g. After a few reps my brains useless so I have to keep it simple to be honest.

I use losing concentration as a sign I've done enough.

18/09/2012 at 18:49

10 at lunchtime in 74, Sunday runs with SG maybe on the cards in a few weeks.

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 18:50
12,481 to 12,500 of 24,107 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.