Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,541 to 12,560 of 26,151 messages
20/09/2012 at 15:05

Juice is even worse SG. Our dentist told us we shoudl stop our kids eating fruit for the sake of their teeth! I had to point out that their is a bigger picture here!

Rest day for me today. Was going to go for a swim at lunchtime, but couldn't face the tedium of it today! Hey ho, the 2 x 4.5M bike commute and 45 min core exercise in front of telly tonight will have to suffice!

20/09/2012 at 15:16

nothing's worse than fizzy stuff, maybe i should go back to the milk...but then that sets the other thing off! Never easy when you start listening to what's good and bad!

oh well, back on the running trail tomorrow...hoping the stacks of rehab i do every day is tiding me over!

20/09/2012 at 16:52

Just drink tea, coffee and beer most of the time. I might occasionally drink plain water and halfway around my daily ten miler (can hardly believe it, blame the Garmin) I'll have 500ml of some watered down Dextro.

DT2
20/09/2012 at 20:02

Evening Gents, well I think ive served my time out in the wilderness 'doing a Stevie G' due to my mid season loss of interest i thought the best thing to do would be to get away from everything and get back to basics, and its worked!

looks like everyones still going strong on here, absolutly gutted i'll be missing out on the thread smashfest at Cabbage Patch! I saw amention of a southern 5/10K thread catch up? Portsmouth? i'll be bang up for that! as for thse of you travelling over for the CP, theres a new travelodge opened now, opposite the cabbage patch pub, suggest getting booked in now if theres space as hotels in Twickenham are pretty sparse!

Training for Amsterdam has been going pretty well, changed a few bits in this build up, shorter build up, 12wks, kept Phil's early long runs in there (7 @ 20M+ so far) took Zattus advice and concentrated on longer tempos only, shortest session has been 10*800M, tempos have been run much faster this year, upto 14M @ just under 5.40 avg, plus the biggest change.......ive NOT been racing! only 1*10M (55.4x) plus 1*HM, 1*10K and 1*5K as race prep, fingers crossed this gets me to the start fresh as a daisy! feel a couple of weeks away from race sharpness so touch wood the next few weeks pan out ok!

20/09/2012 at 20:40

Welcome back DT2. We expect nothing else from you looking at some of that training!

14miles just under 5.40? Cripes man...5miles at 5.35 was my racing pace at the weekend!

Just clocked my friday session...45mins alternating between the HMP and MP in 5mins....last time was 40mins!

Oh well, it's just another 5mins MP at the end

i'm really hopeful i can do it at lunch...rather than an evening job

IronCat5    pirate
20/09/2012 at 21:00

Hi All,

Very jealous looking at all your training. Did a test run last night to see how the ankle was, did seem to bad over a 30 minute circuit. Perhaps a little too fast for a test run. Today I am back in pain

Other than a 5km at the end of a relay tri next w/e, I think this is the end of my season. Gives me another 8 weeks to get repaired for XC.

20/09/2012 at 21:08

Another easy 9 in the bank... rest day. Thank God.

DT2 -welcome back mate, 14miles @ 5:40? Truly astounding stuff that. Hats off to you lad. Puts my 40min 10k tempo into some kind of context!

SG - that session you've been given ... MUUUUUUHAHAHAHAHA!

20/09/2012 at 21:12

Yep Stevie...if I do it at lunch, there won't be a great deal of quality in the afternoon's work!!

as long as body wise i don't feel niggled, I'll be fine though. I've done that session round a 0.9mile island before after all!

Iron...take it easy old bean. Niggles, run through at times, pain...definite warning sign. Best of luck, but should be fine to see you at the xcs.

20/09/2012 at 22:10

Good to hear from you DT2. The thought of a 14M tempo at 5;40 pace is just scary - 13 secs per mile faster than I can run 10M!! You must be brimming with quiet confidence for Amsterdam - best of mate!

Stevie - rest day - 9 M ? how does that work then?

SG - that's a sure fire way to make sure your Friday afternoon is TOTALLY unproductive! Very easy double 5.5M xc tomorrow for me - may even be raining in the afternoon - that'll be novel!

Likewise IC5ITH - take it easy and get it fixed. You certainly don't want to make it worse and string out the recovery...

21/09/2012 at 08:37

DT2, good to see you are in form: 5:40 is flying for a race yet alone tempo: that is a 74 half in training FFS! Maybe not racing is a technical definition but comign within 30 seconds of your PB looks like a race to me

Odd thing with the autumn marathons are they are much more spread out, so Amsterdam on 21st October, Berlin 30 September, NYC on 4 November. You can have two guys doign an autumn marathon and their traiing is stil way out of sync.

You name came up the other day: I have a friend who has moved to Clapham and is a reasonable middle distance guy (sub 4 for 1500) and he was looking for a club. If you think Chasers woudl suit him then do you have a good conatct I can pass to him?

21/09/2012 at 08:46

Bus, was hoping i was alone in my team today, but i'm not, so might have to postpone to the evening. We'll see.

Stevie, presuming 9miles yesterday, rest day today for you?

DT2
21/09/2012 at 09:13
morning all, ahhhhh rest day today, 10*1k off 2mins lastnight, left hamstring felt super tight though for the last couple so todays rest couldn't have come at a better time!
pmj, it was def a confidence boost that i'm in better shape than pre London, the tempo time was ok, but I took more from the fact that I felt fairly comfortable with the pace (or at least as comfortable as you can at race trying pace!) if your mate is still racing MD then chasers may not be the best fit as were not a track club, if he just wants a decent bunch to train with though, then our guys are one of the most welcoming clubs around, pass on my details if you want.

right, off to the gym now for some very neglected core work.
21/09/2012 at 12:47

DT2 - great to see you back and flying yet again.  14 at 5:40? Good god man, either you're mental or your half PB is in line for a big reduction.  Hopefully it's the latter.

SG - Sounds a good session.  Personally I prefer to do all my MP first, then HMP, but it probably doesn't provide that practice at changing gear in races that yours will give.

Trying to do this marathon taper business properly.  Will be roughly 30 for this week, which is about half the usual.  Starting to get a little nervous, and there's still a week and a half to go.  Still, everyone who knows my times keeps saying my target is quite conservative, so hopefully that bodes well.

21/09/2012 at 15:07

In the past I'd see this session and think heck. Buoyed by completing the 40min version a few weeks back, i wasn't even unduly worried about the 45min version, as the extra 5mins was only another MP section.

Had a slight wonder how the hip and glute were, but I think I've rehabbed the glute really well as didn't feel it at all, and the hip though i can feel it, isn't anywhere near "discomfort", let alone pain. However, definitely worth a lot more rehab daily.

Splits don't tell any kind of story, as each mile has different amounts of MP and HMP, and it's irritating to keep doing splits on the 5mins to record distance travelled.

Therefore, I just took a note of the 7mile time, and then the finishing time.

so...

7miles           42:44    (average 6:06)
7.36miles       45        (average 6.07)

Pretty much on the button, as with 5.55 HMP and 6.15+ MP zones, and doing equal sections, you'd expect the time to be in the 6.05+ area.

6.07 overall makes sense as the last 5mins were MP and thus slightly slower pace.

Don't feel too wrecked unlike the 40min section a few weeks back, so I think I'm in a good fitness position at the moment. I wonder if the milk element was actually making me a little sluggish, as well as making me ruin half of the countryside regularly!

or it could just be the Adidas Adios trainers

21/09/2012 at 18:00

It was the milk SG, your system is trying its best to output energy while at the same time attempting to process a pile of fat and protein. So, at the point you call for extra oxygen, your brain decides to divert the needed supply away from your gut. No longer able to process the material there's only one other alternative. Get rid of. Stick to water. Or in my case right now about half a bottle of red wine. for medicinal purposes of course.

21/09/2012 at 20:22

Nice session SG, cracker that. Would like to nail one of them in the next few weeks myself. 45 mins of tempo running is a hard one to 'get up' for I'd imagine.

Bus... my sentence structure failed me. 9 easy yesterday with a rest day today. I'm not one of these 'I'll just do an 9 mile recovery on my day off' type fella's! Foam roller for me tonight

Back in for another long run tomorrow. Hoping to replicate last weeks 18 miles. Then off to the beer fesitval, just call me Mo!

DT2
21/09/2012 at 20:29
ahh, I knew I'd missed out on some Adidas related talk! adios........best shoes ever!
21/09/2012 at 20:57

Stevie, I think it's half getting fitter, and half almost having this new lease of life, not being hindered by the stomach, and also realising it's a treat to be able to run at hard paces and not be out injured.

That 45min is all about breaking it down, thinking 9 sections, thinking only 4 at the faster pace, and thinking 5mins is hardly any time at all, then you can have a "rest" ie MP pace . Before you know it you're half way, then it's a mere 20mins, then 15,10, 5 then you're home!

I certainly don't view sessions at the moment in a this will be a nightmare mentality. I suppose a taste of a pb again helps it all as well. You realise all the work leads to the next one.

What's your thinking behind another 18? Are you planning a cheeky little marathon, or just wanting to make a half marathon feel like nothing?

I did an 18 once, 2 weeks before a half marathon i'd built up pretty hard for. I'd possibly fear doing them too much, as in my humble opinion, I think the injury risk versus benefit seesaw (for your target distances)  is just tipping towards the former a bit.

DT2, I've had about 4 runs in mine now, 3 cracking speed sessions, and 1 pb! Can't really ask for more than that!

And they look great to. I can pretend to be a proper runner!

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 21:01
21/09/2012 at 21:09

ps DT2, this is a ridiculously small world.

I was just anorakly on my power of 10 page, and I was checking how a guy I met at the Hotel Olympia 10k of Feb 2010 has done since. He hasn't run a  race in 2012, and I note his 10k pb of 34:59 (hit twice!), should be possible for me now.

However, the place above him....was you!

You've taken 3mins off the time you hit that time...mid 36s to mid 33s! Quite some going!

Edited: 21/09/2012 at 21:11
21/09/2012 at 22:08

I kind of 'love hate' the tempos because I know it's one of the missing pieces to my training and I know it's making me fitter. They are far more of a challenge then intervals that's for sure. 

The 18's are based on wanting to get stronger and fitter by going way over distance. Not in this world do I want to run a marathon anytime soon! Not my event yet, I said I'd only do one if I went sub 35 for 10k... and that was a put off tactic! I have seen that lots of good HM runners up there long runs to 18 in the winter then drop to 14-16 but add pace sections in the months coming up to race day. I think the key is to run them easy. I mean plenty of guys are hitting 20 miles a week mara training so 18 won't kill me... hopefully.

12,541 to 12,560 of 26,151 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.