Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,561 to 12,580 of 26,739 messages
21/09/2012 at 22:34

Using up time in the library next to work at lunchtime  recently I picked up a Richard Nerurkar (I think -  good CP connection!) book which basically said if you want to do your best in a half you need to be running 18-20M long runs. Not sure that'd be the case for everyone, but it did make me think. I've always overtrained for halves to some extent, but not by that much.

I know what you mean about tempos Stevie. They used to be my staple speedwork, and what dragged me into some reasonable times.  I've kind of replaced them with intervals as my basic speed session (but very conscious I should do both). Not so long ago, I was running weekly up to 8-9M tempos HM pace with no warm-up. Couldn't even contemplate that now! It's a mental thing though and once you get into a habit it does become easier I guess - though I certainly wouldn't go back to doing them without warming up!

Might think about some Adios for halves, though my Hagios got me trhough Wycombe no prob, just a tad more cushioning might be nice for somthing like Marlow. Must admit, despite my reservations, I like my Kanadias as well, even though they might be a bit weighty - just looking down at them and seeing the colour gives me a lift!

DT2
21/09/2012 at 22:42

Haha! it is a small world indeed! it wasnt a guy called Jamie Bannister was it? he finished just behind me at that race, didnt realise until i got chatting to him at Edinburgh Mara until the following year (seemed to be a good race for making new buddies!) have you gone for the new adios? there slighlty more structured than the old ones, but still ace! currently still trying to decide whether to step up a level and use them in my Mara? only raced up to HM in them so far.

Dachs, hopefully the 2nd of those options mate! racing at the Notts HM next weekend so guess i'll find out! which Mara are you at again? training been ok?

SS, I used to be the same mate, daunting as anything on paper, but make a hell of a difference! easiest way to approach them is to share the pain with a group and build up each week, before you know it you'll be blitzing them!

hoping for a crack at Bushey parkrun tomorrow, as long as the ham has loosened up a bit, anyone else out and about parkrun world tomorrow?

22/09/2012 at 08:13
DT2 wrote (see)
hoping for a crack at Bushey parkrun tomorrow, as long as the ham has loosened up a bit, anyone else out and about parkrun world tomorrow?

I'm off to Wycombe to do my steps practice. I did Bushy in Jan and it is fast: if you plan on doing it agin later this year, give a mid-week shout out as I fancy going back and doing another fast one there once the speed is back. Hopefully today will be closer to 19 than 20 and soon it will be back sub 6 minute pace and trying to unlock 17.xx runs.

22/09/2012 at 10:49

parkrun in 19;26 so another 30 secodns faster and each week I feel faster and easier but still seems a long way to go. Had a nice chat with Sam Amend at the start (she is event director) and she is running the road relays today at Aldershot, Berlin marathon next week, then two weeks later has been selected to run for England at Toronto marathon so back to back marathons. She said "even if I have a bad one, I can get round in 2:46". She also said she has never had a day off running: runs each and every day. Is afraid she will seize up if she stops.

DT2
22/09/2012 at 10:54

Now that my friends, was a whole lot of fun! felt pretty cautious on the way down to Bushey this morning as ive not raced a 5K for a while, plus the hammy still felt a little on the tight side, i'll ust take it easy i thought to myself as i stood on the start line.... but then who rocks up to startline......only the main man UG! easy run my arse i thought, ive got my work cut out here! cracking race with Ug and myself tracking and catching 1st place for the first 2K then constantly trading places and covering surges, put my foot down between 3-4K and thought i'd dropped them, but no! fell back to 3rd as UG and 1st place went by, at this point i thought damn it, he's got me! but then the thought of the thread head to heads kicked in, giving me ust enough to manage a sprint finish to pass UG on the finishing straight, phew! 16.07 on the watch to make it 2-2 now with the decider to be held in Amsterdam

PMJ, they announced its there birthday in 2wks, might head back for that one if your up for it?

22/09/2012 at 11:31

DT2, very fast time, with UG a couple of seconds behind? I knew that boy had high potential, just needed to put some effort in . You're still going great guns yourself,and almost into the really serious terrain of 15!

What makes it a fast course then? Just straight smooth flat footing?

version 2 of the Adios they tell me. Didnd't ever experience the first ones that some say are better, but these feel pretty good.

Phil, Have no idea where Bushey actually is, but maybe I'll join you for a little trip there one saturday, when I have sign off.  I've got a sliding scale of desires from a fast course....

• at worst, beating 17.20-17.23 range, which I've hit 3 or 4 times in actual 5ks, and gone through 17.23 for 5k twice in longer races (including last sunday)
  • decent    beating 17.10, the "official" pb, but one I'd like to wipe as I don't trust it.
  • perfect    sub 17

When do you think you'll start to be up for it, just to give me an idea on timescales...a saturday morning up that early really is a hardship though!

Bus, I just don't believe if you can do 8-9miles straight at your HMP, that it is actually your HMP! You'd be seriously mashed after that, and it's bonkers. But you know that now!

Stevie see wrote (see)

I kind of 'love hate' the tempos because I know it's one of the missing pieces to my training and I know it's making me fitter. They are far more of a challenge then intervals that's for sure. 

I certainly agree. I thought that from the start of this thread, the prolonged tempos were always harder for me, than whatever intervals.

Having said that, long intervals can be tough as well, but you always know a nice rest is coming!!

22/09/2012 at 12:00

DT2 - As I was saying at the end, I don't even look on this thread anymore!  As DT2 said the top three had a proper race this morning at the parkrun. Not often that happens ever (parkrun or normal races). Lots of joostling, deliberate elbows (and an accidental trip hehe). Sub 16 is coming for both me and DT2, just need right course, right day etc. But 5km fits around other commitments unfortunately.

SG - Bushey is pretty quick for a parkrun, mainly because it is so well attended so there will be lots of people to drag you around and its flat. But with any parkrun you need to appreciate it's not smooth tarmac. The start is a bit chaotic, it is very wide to accomodate all the runners but it is mainly grass and a single track path (only wide enough for one). I had to work really hard to get onto the path and I think had I been a little further back the first stretch would have been all on grass which would have slowed me a little. Also I should add that it is apparently something like 30m long...not much in the scheme of things but would be annoying if you ran 17m01 down there.

DT2 - I just checked, it's now 2-1, so luckily for me Amsterdam can only draw you level! Phew

22/09/2012 at 12:00

SG - If you are planning on doing Bushy at any time, just let me know. It's only 2miles from mine so can come give you some company!

22/09/2012 at 12:55

UG, it's a shame you don't duck in here more...put that right.

I'm not normally in the habit of calling up faster runners to the runs I do, but would make an exception in your case. Having you ahead in the field sounds like just the ticket to get a fast start to bypass that little grassy section.

22/09/2012 at 13:18

Very fast times there boys!

Might fancy Bushy Parkrun myself at some point. Just about to head over that way this afternoon as it happens - just a few hours late I guess!

SG - the HMP tempo pace referred to was at the slower end of the spectrum that's for sure! Thinking more of Wycombe HMP than Wokingham to be honest!

22/09/2012 at 13:20

I reckon we should pick a date and wheel over, myself Bus n Phil, get UG and perhaps DT2 if he's around, then we have a mini thread park run meet up!

22/09/2012 at 13:45
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

She said "even if I have a bad one, I can get round in 2:46". She also said she has never had a day off running: runs each and every day. Is afraid she will seize up if she stops.

With a pb of 2:42 being 2 years ago, and 2 x 2:44 this year, I'd guess she doesn't know the meaning of a "bad" marathon.

As you'd be very fortunate to only lose 2mins from your current year's times if it really goes bad!

ALD
22/09/2012 at 13:46

whoop whoop! entered my first 10km in a year. Big competition going at work for the Men Health Survival of the Fittest in Nottingham so I've got 3 weeks to check out the current form. X-terrain, hilly, muddy - sounds ideal! Not sure whether this is a commited relationship again or just a seedy fling, we'll see in a couple of weeks.

22/09/2012 at 14:10

ALD. old mate   although we obviously stay in touch off forum, good to see one of the founding members back on!

Sounds an ideal pressure free return...and then you can start getting into the grind of pb hunting again

DT2
22/09/2012 at 14:39
I live about 2m from bushey aswell, so anytime you boys fancy it, i'm in!
22/09/2012 at 17:12

ALD, welcome back mate!

18 done and dusted in 7:30 pace. Felt fine, last 2 miles as per were a bit of a grind. Off to a beer festival now!

22/09/2012 at 19:29

Careful Stevie - they might not have Peronis . 18M then beer may well be a lethal combination anyhow - let us know how long you lasted!

ALD - good to see you posting again - welcome back!

Looking at the forecast tomorrow, what I was hoping was going to be fast running for the Shardeloes off-road 10k job after weeks of dry weather, may well turn into one of these "challenge" type races, especially over the couple of fields that have recently been ploughed!

22/09/2012 at 19:30

Bus, with cross country you want a little bit of dodgy weather. I love some of those XC series races that are always rainy and cold...adds to the occasion.

22/09/2012 at 22:03

Maybe, but I've grown soft with all the good weather of late! I can't actually remember the last time I ran in the rain.....

22/09/2012 at 22:11

good luck all racers...back to a sunday 6am wake up call tomorrow, rather than the race day lay in of 6.30 last week

12,561 to 12,580 of 26,739 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.