Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,581 to 12,600 of 27,399 messages
23/09/2012 at 08:59

14 done and dusted. look forward to an afternoon of big games, and race reports

23/09/2012 at 11:50

I'm not a real ale fan so just went steady drinking halves here and there. Only totalled about 4-5 pints, then home by 11:30. Luckily for me I found a lovely American larger but it was 10 mins before last orders!

As awful as my ice bath was yesterday I feel 100% better today then I did last week after my 18 miler. No aches, no stiffness or soreness. Off for a pootle round the forest then Super Sunday.

23/09/2012 at 13:02

Aren't all Americans getting larger?

Ice baths are the way forward then. I'm just off for a hot one!

Shardeloes 10k then this morning. Bumped into frank before hand (so knew the pressure was off for a V40 prize ) and went for a warm-up together. The forecast rain started as we were lining up, so I was glad (at that point!) I chose off-road shoes after much internal debate.

The first k or so was a mad dash around the cricket field, where it became apparent that the fast youngsters were out in force. For the first mile or so I had the pleasure of following Pippa Woolven, and after she had trounced me at Wycombe Parkrun a few weeks back, I thought she would be a useful pacer, so was surprised to find myself moving past her soon after. After another k of pleasant flat track alongside a lake we then turned for the first hill, where I manged to catch the guy in front I'd been chasing down. We then downhill across a ploughed field - fortunately the rain had 't had a chance to have much effect on this one, and although pretty uneven, it wasn't too bad. We then up a long hill, whihc was an old lane mof tarmacw with gravel. At this point I started to regret the of-road shoes, as I was slipping quite  a bit on the wet tarmac, especially at the top when it became a proper road for a bit. I'd set my sites on catching a young guy ahead, and duly took him just at the top of the hill at the water station, where he soon slipped back. The next couple of ks were singletrack through a wood and I became a bit complacent, as the guy in front was too far to catch (my last siting of Frank's back had been some time ago!) and the guy behind had slipped way back (or so I thought). 

Anyway, after a bit of downhill, we then turned for the second to last hill, on a track that follows a wood. At this point I caught site of the guy I thought I'd left far behind closing fast, and with others not far off too. I tried to put my foot down on the downhill with about a k to go before we came to the very last hill, across another ploughed field. This time, forty minutes of rain had made it very heavy going, and by the time I got to the top, my shoes must have weighed about a stone each! As we turned to go downhill, back across the same field toward the finish, the young lad caught me and started to pull ahead, but at least he was alone. I should have dug deeper and stayed with him, but didn't/couldn't - probably spending too much time trying to think of the final sprint finish against him with two-stone shoes! 

Anyway, finally crossed the line in - wait for it Philip - 40:42, 1 second quicker than Philip's time last year!  I'm hoping the official time will agree with me

Frank was over 2 mins ahead, but despite this some other old bloke turned up and pinched the V40 prize, with Eddie O'G seeming to be back on form and taking the overall win.

23/09/2012 at 13:16

Almost sounded like your textbook off road race Bus, right down to the pot hunt winner! Just without the obligatory V40 win.

Could you have had the V40 winner if you'd known it was up for grabs?

Sounds a gruelling race then, a 3-4mins slower than a normal 10k job?!

What's up next for you, presuming CP isn't on the agenda?

23/09/2012 at 13:34

No chance - Frank was 2 mins ahead of me and he was 2nd V40. Always attracts a competitive field this one, so it was only ever going to be an outside chance of prize anyway. Just a nice race and one of those that's close to get to! Certainly 3 - 4 mins slower than a road 10k for me, but for some of those guys who seem to float over tricky terrain the gap might come down a bit - will be interesting to see the results.

Next races are South Bucks 10k next Sunday, then Ridgeway Run then Marlow Half......

23/09/2012 at 14:55

10 miles done and dusted. 70.25 miles for the week! Woo! First ever time over 70.

Nice run Bus, must be hard going if you're 4 mins slower than a PB course. I always find those races fun as the pressure is off time wise. Also good prep for any up coming XC races.  Where did you come overall?

23/09/2012 at 15:20

70+ does make you feel like a real runner doesn't it Stevie? I've only ever done 3!!

Not sure on position yet - too much of a bunch at the beginning to keep track, so waiting for results to come out.  4.5 mins off PB as it happens . A bit more pressure from having runners around me in the middle might of helped mind.

23/09/2012 at 17:43

Aldershot Road Relays today. V50 Team Gold. Details to follow.

23/09/2012 at 19:44

Was weighing up Bushy Park as a possible 5k pb hunt...but just checking on UG's power of 10 expecting to see it, and it's not there.

So I keyed Bushy Park and power of 10 into google, and found some other random people who have it showing for September, but it shows as the dreaded 5KMT.

Seems a bit harsh. Possibly puts that on the back burner a bit...

23/09/2012 at 20:06
Just a quick check in to say well done DT2 and UG on the 2 and 3 at Bushy and nice one there from bus. I note that my time last year was in the middle of a rest period but was also good under foot so hard to compare. Goog gold from ricF there, knew I was missing the relays and was saddened when I heard Wycombe was not fielding any senior or vet team at all.
23/09/2012 at 20:09

So far as I know, Finsbury Park and Dulwich Park are the only Greater London park runs that are certified 5km courses and could count for 5km PBs on Pof10.

Aldershot relays for me today as well. Miserable weather and 22:00 I think. Only glimpsed at my watch at halfway to see 10:58 and knew sub 22 would require a good effort in the second half. Didn't bother to look again until I stopped it at the end. A bit annoyed but I am guilty of not having pushed hard enough today. A long way off last year's 20:43 but that was expected with the lack of running of late.

Good racing Bus and brilliant work Ric on the relay gold!

23/09/2012 at 20:15

Disater - offical time is 40:43 - same time as you Philip . 1 place lower though in 11th - knew I should have worked harder to hold off that youngster - especially as it turns out he is under 17 with a 10k PB of 2 secs under 40 mins from 3 weeks ago - how does that work then?!!!

Impossible to compare races year to year though as you say, and especially XC - we need a head to head when you are back up to full fitness!

Nice one ric - looking forward to the full story.

23/09/2012 at 20:25

Bus, Phil, XC series gives a wealth of head to head opportunities.

Warren, are either of those 2 fast with enough depth in the field? I guess Bushey would still count as a pb for 5k, but it's better seeing it on the record isn't it. Sometimes it's a nonsense on that site, as my 5k pb on there was a MT course.

Good work at the relays fellas...I have no idea what the Aldershot relays are, but they sound high profile!

Is it the kind of event where someone like me would help my team to about 93rd position?

23/09/2012 at 20:48

SG - I'm not sure about the quality of the field a those events, but I don't ever run 5km races, so I would rather just go to a parkrun to get a 5km PB on my record.

The Aldershot relays is the South of England Athletics Association relays champs race. The quality is ridiculously high. Last year I ran 20:43 for the 6km (I think it is slightly further than 6km from memory) so about 5:30 miling. When I looked at the results, my time didn't even rank in the top half of all the times from the senior mens race!

23/09/2012 at 21:21

Chaps, am I right in thinkign that Heathrow Terminal 5 is around 8-10 miles from the start of the Cabbage Patch 10? Just looking into the logistics of the trip now.

23/09/2012 at 21:45

Just did a quick google job Stevie, it's quite close to Twickenham (race location) for sure.

Will be great to see you there!

23/09/2012 at 21:46

Miserable weather! I'd say. Though by the time the seniors got under way at 2:30 the rain had mostly stopped. While my lot were running, the rain was absolutely tipping down. As for the race: Our lead runner came in in 12th place and the best part of 3 minutes off the lead. Our second guy took over and got us up a few more places but we were still 2:11 behind Oxford in 8th. My go then. Last year I did 22:30 in ideal conditions and even 30 seconds quicker would be something but under these conditions? Made no difference as I nailed a negative split in just under 22 mins. According to the Garmin trace the last uphill section was close to 5 min mile pace. All those miles in training ensured I didn't flag over the final stages. Our final runner took over in 5th and it would appear that the teams ahead had top loaded the running order. After 5 mins he was in 2nd and only 30 seconds off the lead. By the time he came in, his lead was 23, 27,34 and 49 seconds over 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th team. Garmin got the distance at 3.81 miles. Results on PO10 at some point.

23/09/2012 at 21:50

Good work Ric - as you say th e miles training have paid off. An awful lot of work put in recently so very well deserved.

23/09/2012 at 21:50

5min miling up hill? You're some kind of machine!

23/09/2012 at 22:25

Thanks for that guys. I've added up roughly the number of races I've done 5k and over and its about 300, but the number I've been able to sprint the last 30 seconds or so I can count on the fingers of one hand. Not quite Dean R finishing but ok. As for the machine SG, judging from state of me, the machine was a muck spreader. I have pictures of me in this event but don't seem able to post them. Email perhaps.

12,581 to 12,600 of 27,399 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.