Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,681 to 12,700 of 27,027 messages
30/09/2012 at 18:00

Ran the Sandstone trail 'A' race today. 17.1 miles with 1100ft accent. Gave XC yesterday everything I had, so was walking a little gingerly this morning. Started with an up hill climb, daft hero types flying up going off piste just to gain a place or two. My calves went to stone after 2 miles and was very worried.

Stopped at 4 miles to stretch them out (ouch!) team mates went past (who had the sense not to race XC yesterday). I had been moving quickly so didn't want to throw the towel in yet. Got on with it, and by the 'summit' and the 5 mile point I was back in the game. Calves had chilled but still hurt a tad. By 7 miles I had caught and passed my team mates (one of whom is at least on a par with me ability wise). Pushed on from there and kept catching and passing people in the last 10 miles, mainly those who smashed it up the first hill. Felt great aerobically, never an issue.

Overtook a guy in the last mile who at 7 miles was 4-5 mins ahead of me, did a 6min/mile in the last and finished 12th in 2:08, average pace of 7:30 miles. Took some convincing to shake my hand. 

Was first club member over the line by 7 mins. The guys around me are all 2:50 marathon runners or 75-79 HM guys so I'm made up with today. Who'd have thought? Maybe I'm the best kept secret in Cheshire fell running?  Moving forwards this could definaetly be my A race for next year, with August off work to prepare for it. Top 5-7 is definately in my grasp.

Think maybe a rest day?

30/09/2012 at 18:07

Ss, A classic mow em down job. Excellent! Well done that man.

30/09/2012 at 18:22

Great stuff Stevie - either you are on the form of your life, or XC/trail is your thing - possibly even both!

Dt2 - it's been said before, but you are an animal! Big PB in a half marathon off a heavy cold - good work indeed!

My 10k was a bit of a curate's egg this morning: course best by around 20 secs of 36:39, fastest 10k this year and another V40 trophy. However, up until the 9k point I thought I was just going to break the 36 mins! I'd been working it all out in my head, but somewhere along the way my mental arithmetic must have gone astray, because whan I switched from the GPS screen showing current pace to overall time at the 9k marker, instead of showing 32 mins, as I'd expected, it showed just under 33!! Bit of a shock I can tell you! Still not exactly sure what went wrong with my maths, but a schoolboy error I shan't repeat! Not that it made any difference to the final time I guess...

Apart from that, I was pleased with how I paced it early on, especially as there was a very fast looking V40 (handily they marked  the age categories on numbers!) who went off very quick, but I didn't chase hard and instead stuck to my plan. It took me until the incline at 5k to eventually catch him and put a gap between us. A bit more company would have been useful after that as I found myself in my usual position of being alone!

Most amusing point was on a short bit of downhill at 3k and 8k, which was into a stiff breeze - I found myself wondering whether Philip could give me an algorithm to work out whether it is better to hit a headwind on a downhill or the flat. Of course, the increase in speed from the downhill makes the drag (I think) more but is this compensated by any fatigue factors   

Good steady return there Philip by the way - you'll soon be back on target.

30/09/2012 at 18:23
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)
I certainly think I under appreciated what a quality performance Phil's London Marathon was at the time though....

I think that is a compliment so I'll take it.

It's the best you're getting, so allow it

Stevie, what a nutter you are, xc race followed by a ridiculous 17.1mile trail race?!? Why would you make that any kind of A race next year?  Sounds a good performance though, and maybe just the thing to break you from the frustration of a rare bit string of non pb races.

DT2, stop making us feel unworthy son. Ill, and doing 1hr 12 half marathons? We might have to send you to a higher quality thread like we did with Rob T

30/09/2012 at 18:32

ps Bus, what took you so long with your report son! Can't always ask for a pb, so the next best thing is a course pb. 20secs shows things are still going in the right direction.

One of those races you know you'll be around the top 10 for, but a chance of ending up on your own for a bit like you found.

It's a funny race, on the one hand it's mostly flatwith an overall descent and has a couple of down sections, but I find that 1k incline comes at just the wrong point, and a 1/2mile on trail to finish doesn't help either.

I know exactly what you mean on miscalculating times, or being surprised to see a certain time. Just at the Victory 5 2 weeks ago, I thought, I'm going to go through 5k just under 17mins, but by the time the marker came it was 17:23!

Sometimes maths on the go isn't the most reliable.

I used to make it even more tricky by having the garmin set on pace per mile, even though the race was km....so you'd do a km in about 3.27, the watch would say 5.39pace, and you'd be thinking.....erm?!?!

30/09/2012 at 19:16

I usually do the reverse after a 10k - forget my garmin is set to k and think its not working properly when it tells me I'm running 5 MM pace off road!

Had to go and visit my mum staright after the race, hence the delay in replying - one day when I could have done wihout hanging around for the prize giving!

The incline actually helped me catch the other V40 this year, so can't complain! The end on the trail is not so good (though can't see how they can avoid it) especiallthe  almost 180 dg sharp turn just before the final sprint to the line!

30/09/2012 at 19:30

bus - great season pb on the 10k plus a bit of bling too.

SS - what can i say, you blasted the xc yesterday and as way of a cool down day blasted a monster 17m+ trail race too.  Excellent!

DT2 - i was in notts but as i had parking issues i missed you down the embankment @ 12m but my wife asked who is the guy i was going to try and keep up with, i replied with your name and within a second the announcement came over the tannoy DT2 (insert real name here!) of clapham chasers crossing the line....i checked my watch so knew you had a PB. Outstanding!  It was a strong race, the winner did a 61min!!

looking forward to dachs report from berlin. I have cheated and looked at his splits but will be interesting to see how it felt etc...

30/09/2012 at 20:05

Good run there SS but I agree with SG that a feel race is hardly god A race material. A lot depends on who turns out, and there is always a question when you do well about who has not turned out and you cannot compare times with other races and even with the same race year on year.

DT2, great run there, you have a marathon lined up soon don't you (CP day , which one?

bus, from where I was you seemed to have a very good run from a very slow start. I was maybe only 15 seconds down on you at 2 km and yet by 4 km you must have been closer to a minute ahead. You seemed to pick off Nigel Smith (BJ in a yellow top) very easily. Who was the other V40 round you? There is a guy, Paul Dineen who runs for HX who seems to be on a steep improvement curve who has come out of 68% WAVA up to 73% and my 13-0 winning streak has just suffered two losses.

PC2
30/09/2012 at 20:08

Great racing all round. Seeing as everyone else was at it....

2nd today at the Mortimer 10k in 35.17. Wasn't really bothered about the time today, just how it felt to run whatever time came out. Went off pretty quick and took the lead, lost it to a club mate soon after 4k when fatigue from the week and a slight niggle kicked in. Felt good most of the way round, at no point was I on the brink so to run that time was pleasing. And the trophy is an understated little trinket.... a big cup just over 9 inches in height (overkill!).

30/09/2012 at 20:21

Phil, that chap you mention did around 38:40 today (from reading around fb), first time he's been under 40....

PC2, podium finish, always good. Must be slightly gutted some team mate came to gazump you....it wasn't our favourite 10k pot hunter was it?  Did that race back in 06, thinking I'd got a sub 40, only to be ruled 40:01. Weasels.

Presumably still the same route where you have a hill for about 3/4mile up, at about 7k, and then a sharp hill down straight after?

Back in 06, they had some 5k walk or something, meaning that as well as having to wait for a kids race to finish before we could start, you had to navigate through a stack of walkers too, up that hill!

Edited: 30/09/2012 at 20:22
PC2
30/09/2012 at 20:28

SG - Yes all that fun run/walk stuff still happens, and is still the same course with the fairly long hill at 7k - but no down afterwards, that is from 5-6k. As for being gazumped, it was a Newbury runner who I train with but its ok, I dont think there was a midweek 10 mile in his legs and it was 20 secs. I'll be quicker than this on a higher priority race.

30/09/2012 at 20:43

Ah the classic mistake of taking a faster team mate with you!!

30/09/2012 at 22:09

Philip - was that the guy you were speaking to afterwards? Looking at his Po10 profile, that is a massive leap forward, so more power to his elbow - just as long as he doesn't start sneaking in front and picking up my V40 prizes . I'm not sure who the other V40 guy was - I didn't recognise him and he wasn't wearing a club vest, so will have to wait for the results.  Must admit, I was pleased to pull one back on Nigel, as he beat me at Wooburn recently and at Marlow Half last year! Mind you, after about 1-2k he set off like a rat in a drain pipe for some reason and flew ahead for a while, but I think he paid for it later.

Good run that PC2 and it's always good to get a trophy - especially one that big!

30/09/2012 at 22:27

Lots of cracking racing going on today. I'm on a bit of racing break till November now, maybe pop one in October. I think my race is potential A race material as it's very prestigious round here so to say you've top fives or won it goes a long way. Anyway back to the grind of base training now, armed with the knowledge my aerobic fitness is improving.

Bus I've done what you have, you're convinced the PB is going then all of a sudden reality slaps you like a wet fish.

01/10/2012 at 07:51

Stevie, hope CP is the October race!

PC2, just re-read your post on the Mortimer course...trying to picture it. The start is on the flat, in some park/field isn't it?

Therefore, if there is no down after the hill, it must finish in a different place to where it starts?!

01/10/2012 at 08:05
The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - was that the guy you were speaking to afterwards? Looking at his Po10 profile, that is a massive leap forward, so more power to his elbow - just as long as he doesn't start sneaking in front and picking up my V40 prizes . I'm not sure who the other V40 guy was - I didn't recognise him and he wasn't wearing a club vest, so will have to wait for the results.  Must admit, I was pleased to pull one back on Nigel, as he beat me at Wooburn recently and at Marlow Half last year! Mind you, after about 1-2k he set off like a rat in a drain pipe for some reason and flew ahead for a while, but I think he paid for it later.

I can't recall who I was speaking to afterwards: I was trying to hold back the retch after thinking there was a  38.xx and then hitting that last rough track and the double back turn to see the clock still at 38:45 so 15 seconds for the last sprint in but still didn't make it.

Will have to see where this guy (Paul) lands after his recent improvements: his po10 record is nothing like his recent form but if I was a betting man I would say if your PBs at half and full are 92 minutes and 4 hours then there are limits and I would hope that when fit I would beat him (and you ) but then again look at Dean, HM down from 93 to 74 minutes.

01/10/2012 at 14:25

Results are out now Philip. Can't see any site of the V40 who lead me to 5k. I wonder if he DNF'd... 

01/10/2012 at 15:42
The Bus wrote (see)

Results are out now Philip. Can't see any site of the V40 who lead me to 5k. I wonder if he DNF'd... 

and I am 3rd V40, not bad out of 36 M40s. I was 8th MV40 2 years ago and bus was 3rd, he was 4th last year.

Edited: 01/10/2012 at 15:45
01/10/2012 at 15:53

shock of those race results is the guy in 2nd....he's somehow managed to take a mid 34s 10k on a fast course down to an amazing 33:16!

He's hit 74 for a half before, and must have been underpar when doing 76 at Wokingham this year.

Encouraging to see runners who've been around a fair while, and older hitting great improvements though!

01/10/2012 at 16:01

Indeed!

12,681 to 12,700 of 27,027 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.