Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,761 to 12,780 of 26,706 messages
05/10/2012 at 16:26

PC2 - not done the XC relays before. Only 5km legs though so shorter than the usual XC league races. I'm not expecting much from myself though.

05/10/2012 at 19:16

Philip - I know what you mean. The cumulative tiredness creeps up from odd combinations of runs, especially after a race that doesn't blatantly seem to need some careful recovery after. What about running Sunday instead, or will that just push into next weeks plan?

06/10/2012 at 14:37

Accidental 12.5 today: did a very enjoyable and muddy 10 and got back to see some club-mates finish a session so I did the cool down with them as well. Total time on feet was 1:48 and I have only been over 1:45 once since VLM and that was back in June (19 with SG in fact on a Sunday morning) .

Pace was really slow, 8:38 average and one down at 9:44 but it was all good fun with mud and hills. I was very happy with the first 5 or 6 miles but a little too much road on the way back so I may need bus to help me plot a better second half:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230422876
Need a route from upper North Dean to Hughenden with less roads: straight down the valley is easy but boring.

06/10/2012 at 16:09

That's about the sort of pace I'd expect on that route Philip if you're taking it steady. Funnily enough my usual long off-roader runs parallel to a lot of that route but in reverse, and takes in West Wycombe rather than the loops around Hughenden/Downley.  There's a very nice, off road section that runs parallel to that last section, though its a bit further and adds in a couple of big hills. From Nroth Dean, there are a couple of footpaths that head uphill into Piggotts Wood, turn right  go through the wood and then follow a long downhill path that comes out by the pub on Warrendene Rd (the harrow I think?). Through the pub garden and follow a footpath uphill across a cul de sac, then uphill very steeply takes you behind Pipers Corner school, wher you can drop down Boss Lane (or an earlier footpath) to take you back down to the north end of Hughenden Park, then there's a nice run through the park on the valley floor all the way back to where you parked.

We'll have to do the route together sometime, preferably a crisp Autumn morning!  From my back gate I can do as big a loop as you like with virtually no tarmac....

Hmm, makes me wish I was running through the woods today rather than my planned road run! Hey ho, needs must and Marlow awaits in just a few weeks!

06/10/2012 at 17:34

19 miles done in 2:22 today, my longest run yet. Felt fine, and was able to push the pace down to 7:00 for the last 3 miles. I can already feel the benefits of the endurance work I'm doing. 67 for the week. 4 weeks down 8 to go!

Just seen the splits from the Sandstone race last Sunday. There is a 10.5 mile 'B' race that follows the same course, the organisers put up a combined split for the last 5 miles. I was 7th quickest. Behind the top 4 'A' racers and top 2 in the 'B' race. Pretty pleasing stuff!

Edited: 06/10/2012 at 17:49
06/10/2012 at 18:58

Blimey Stevie - you need to get yourself signed up for a marathon and make the most of that endurance!

By contrast, I'm just back from a 15.5 in 2:55 - slow, and painful the whole way round, and I didn't even do two hard races last week including a 17.5M xc Stevie!

Also a bit annoyed with myself. I'd planned a big week next week, but realised this afternoon that I'd put the Ridgeway 15k Trail race in my diary a week late by mistake and its actually next Sunday! Doh!!

06/10/2012 at 19:24

Well maybe it's a blessing in disguise, if you're shattered then have an easy week before the trail race. Then get on it after that's done with. I assume your 15.5 was over your usual 'rolling' terrain? Mine was for the most part pancake flat.

No marathons yet! I've got some HM's to smash up first! Feel I could go sub 80 now, but then I said that 9 months ago

06/10/2012 at 22:14

I can almost guarantee you a sub 80 on your current form and training Stevie...

Couple of biggish hills in todays run at the beginning and end, but the middle 9 were flat. Probably didn't help myself with 8 miles on the bike this morning and jobs in the garden just before running, but main thing is I just haven't had the long, long runs under my belt this year, despite my weekly mileage acually being higher than ever.

DT2
07/10/2012 at 07:16
heading down to the royal parks HM, crystal clear, cool and no wind whatsoever! in fact I'd say its the best race conditions for a HM I've ever had! report to follow.......

good luck to anyone else racing today.
07/10/2012 at 09:12
The Bus wrote (see)

By contrast, I'm just back from a 15.5 in 2:55 - slow, and painful the whole way round

I'd put the Ridgeway 15k Trail race in my diary a week late by mistake and its actually next Sunday! Doh!!

bus, are you sure it was 15 in 2:55: with 9 flat in the middle at say 10 m/m that leaves 85 minutes for the 6 not in the middle so 14 mins/mile!

I had a look at the Ridgeway as 15km is a nice distance but as you got 3rd overall last year it doesn't leave much scope for pot hunting.

DT2, I have been watching them build for the Parks HM all week: can you include some detail in your report why they need so much stuff in place for a half: most places seem to manage with a few portaloos and a tent for the officials: what does the whole village add to the experience?

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 09:14
07/10/2012 at 12:15

Told you I was tired - 1.55 of course!

3rd at ridgeway last year was just a happy fluke. That time normally gets a top15 place, but there was an 8 minute gap between me and 2nd - not sure where everyone else was!!

Stiff as a board today after 2 hours standing in a misty field watching son's fooball natch. Another hour and a half of the same to look forward to tonight at athletics...

07/10/2012 at 12:28

Just checked - 6 min gap actually. My fastest ever time on the course in 2006 only got me 19th place!

07/10/2012 at 14:55

DT2 has some big news, so let me whisk through a quick race report!

Late decision to race Southend 10k today, so headed the 80miles down there, on a miserable overcast and cold drive.

Got there, and suddenly it was fairly warm

Off the 5miler the other week i could have been looking anywhere between 34:55 and 35:20(pb)

However, came out 35:41(tbc)

Not too down about that in fairness.  I seem to be skilled in picking unnaturally warm October days for 10ks (Slough was hot last year for goodness sake, miserable Slough!) , after pretty good weather at Portsmouth a few weeks back (well, last 1mile was into a bit of wind, but not bad)

We're not talking as warm as Slough last year, but combined with the wind, a bit of a battle. I overheard someone after saying this year had "turned out as hot as last year", and I did wonder why only 11 people went sub 35 last year out of a field of 1400! Now I know!

I was also surprised to see 1km+ run on stoney gravel at about 6k!

From 7k to the finish we were back along the sea front we'd set off down in the other direction. Whilst not a gale, it was enough to slow me down.

To be honest, because the splits I took were all over the place, some were 0.95km, some were 1.05km, I really didn't have a clue how I was doing overall. This was probably a good thing, as I kept the effort hard throughout.

Noone overtook me after 0.5km, and I caught plenty, so that's a good sign the effort level was bang on.

It was quite amusing repeatedly catching Southend AC teen boys who had all set off in a massive gaggle at the start, all too quickly!

Probably looking top 20 out of 1400, so can't be too disappointed. Pick of the bunch was a guy I met at the start, 52 years old, still doing 34min 10ks, and ran internationally at his peak! He did a 29min 10k back then apparently. Will be worth a look when the results are out. He didn't sound too fit when he passed me (the only passer) at 0.5km though, wheezing like a bastad!

The one arse of a moment, was knowing the finish was very close as we turned off the Seafront down a road, and I saw a race clock. It had 35:10 on it, so I sprinted like a dog to get under 35:20 on it. 

I then saw that the true finish was about another 120metres further on

Some clown in their infinite wisdom had thought having a little race clock for anyone wanting to know their 9.88km time would be a good idea

All in all, always good to have a little race trip to a new place where noone knows you. On another day a pb should comfortably be doable. Sub 35:20 and indeed sub 35 will have to wait for now though...

So far, am following the pattern of last year's Sep/Oct, namely

5m, pb
10k, weather affected
10m, pb

Hopefully, i complete the pb part of the pattern at CP!

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 15:00
07/10/2012 at 15:03

Highlight of today though, and this deserves a separate post, was that the chap I coach on RW, "SKinny Fetish Fan" (check the thread out), produced a terrific performance in his half marathon in Cumbria.

My task was to get him sub 1hr 35, and today he hit 1:29:15

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 15:04
07/10/2012 at 15:11
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Highlight of today though, and this deserves a separate post, was that the chap I coach on RW, "SKinny Fetish Fan" (check the thread out), produced a terrific performance in his half marathon in Cumbria.

My task was to get him sub 1hr 35, and today he hit 1:29:15

Ironic how you have a coach and then coach others ...

07/10/2012 at 15:25

I think of it like this Phil.

You could teach a kid of 5 English pretty easily, and make a decent go with 11+ English level,  but you wouldn't be able to teach it to GCSE level.

Similarly, from what I've learnt from the M meister, and my own experience, I can coach the kind of level from Skinny, down to newbie level pretty comfortably.

07/10/2012 at 15:27

Soudns fair enough SG. What level does he reach before you drop him?

I see the Datchet crew got first and third at Windsor Half marathon.

07/10/2012 at 15:29

I think it's what level he reaches before he drops me

07/10/2012 at 17:16

shows what i know perception wise about position..

results are out  12th out of 1255.   Only 7 went sub 35. Looking at some other's results, seems to back up my excuse making about the conditions

07/10/2012 at 20:59

Another long trip to the coast Stevie, but worth it for a good result - a whole 10 secs a mile faster than my 10k last week . 1k on gravel sounds a bit harsh! Good to get another solid sub 36 under the belt - and on Po10!

Of course you need a clock at 9.88km - don't you know that knowing when you're hitting the 0.12km to go mark is critical in any race

12,761 to 12,780 of 26,706 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.