Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,781 to 12,800 of 25,917 messages
07/10/2012 at 21:13

Yeah, it only took the 4th sub 36 for it to finally be UKA approved!

And sub 36 doesn't even matter now as they've hyped the entry time all the way up to 42 i think!

Cabbage Patch has a 1mile bit on gravelly stuff doesn't it. It was a bit like that, but slower....one guy even chose to run on a narrow but flat section 5metres higher up to avoid it! Until seeing an old woman with a dog in the distance and thinking better of it.

Who is actually in for CP?

I have it as .....

IN     Me, Phil, Ric F, Seb

OUT   Bus - son bday, DT2, Marathon,

Not sure   Stevie See...possible?  Dachs?

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 21:14
08/10/2012 at 00:10

I've been in for CP for ages!

Sounds like a good result at Southend SG.  10k's are funny old things, I often find the ones I really feel I'm nailing turn out comparatively slow.  But 35:40 seems like you back on track, and I'm sure you'll get closer to 35, if not below, soon.  Incidentally - Southend?  Did the Victory 5 inspire you to seek out races in dishevelled old seaside towns?

Stevie S's monster mileage is impressive, although personally I'm quite glad to have seen the back of 19 milers for a few months.

A 1-mile race for me this morning.   Why so soon after the marathon, I hear you all cry.  Well, it was a kid's race that I was running with my 5-year old at a local school.  He was well up for this, wanting to get a medal of his own, and was really excited and nervous beforehand.  I was incredibly proud at how, having never run further than 400m in one go before, he set off at quite a quick pace, and kept it going all the way to the end, puffing and red faced, and even pulled out a sprint finish.  Didn't stop to walk once, which I think is great for his age.

Interestingly, since I've never run a proper mile race, his sprint away from me to cross the line means that his official 1-mile PB is now quicker than mine ... 

08/10/2012 at 07:57

Apologies Dachs, i think I was focusing on your big marathon effort, and forgetting the weeks of banter we've had....having DT2s place for our own convenience etc!

After trawling through the RW list of 10ks, and finding they were all hilly, undulating, or races i'd come top 3, i checked the power of 10 listings, and Southend jumped out. Quality field, interesting sounding race.

Agree on 10ks, I've always found 5milers easier. It could simply be the ease of maths and shorter distance. 5miles, 10miles, you know your pace per mile, it's all so simple. 10Ks, you run to the odd looking pace per km, the maths is fiddlier, and you can go from nicely on target to suddenly not, without much warning!

CP will be good. After knowing noone yesterday (but obviously chatting to some new randoms), to have 5 from this thread minimum, and then the same again from the MG thread, makes this probably the biggest thread meet up, rivalling Wokingham. Should be good.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 08:04
08/10/2012 at 08:24

Odd week: I missed a 5 mile recovery run on Monday so 5, 10, 5, 10, 5 become 0, 10, 7, 11, 7 for the same total over 4 days instead of 5 days and I feel very tired. Bumping the recovery from 5 to 7 just makes the next day a bit harder and it carries over. The odd bits mean I am actually at 36 and not 35 so need 14 tomorrow to hit 50 but will most likely pull up short as that tiredness is starting to tell so maybe 9 for 45 will be more realistic.

08/10/2012 at 08:34
Ignore above, odd browser reposting old news.
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Who is actually in for CP?

I have it as .....

IN     Me, Phil, Ric F, Seb

I'm not in: still too far off a good time to race a 10 mile hard. I need to get a 5k in at under 6 minute pace before I try a 10 miler and I am at 19:30 at the moment. Legs are coming back to me but at the moment I just need to grind out miles and if I did CP it woudl take out a few weeks with taper and recovery that I can't afford at the moment.

How did hte cross country realys go? I see soem pictres of Sam Amend with a winners medal, odd way to recover as she raced Berlin last week and wil race Toronto marathon next week.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 08:35
08/10/2012 at 09:09

That's a shame Phil. Never mind, always other races to come.

Sam works by other rules...no rest days, 120miles a week, back to back marathons, repeated races...I doubt any of us would last 3months in the same way.

08/10/2012 at 10:33

XC relays. I stank the place out. 17:02 with about 10 seconds lost due to turning left and not right at one point on the course. Awful run.

Much better 21 mile long run at 5:45 on Sunday morning. Nice and easy effort level, which was under 75% max HR. Pace last week on the 23 miler at same effort level was 7:40. Pace this week was 7:25, so endurance is coming back.

SG - good result on the 10k. Although you know what your PBs are, it's still nice to see a sub 36 it on Pof10, I'm sure.

08/10/2012 at 10:48
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Sam works by other rules...no rest days, 120miles a week, back to back marathons, repeated races...I doubt any of us would last 3months in the same way.

I guess she's happy remaining on her current plateau.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 10:48
08/10/2012 at 11:20
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Yeah, it only took the 4th sub 36 for it to finally be UKA approved!

And sub 36 doesn't even matter now as they've hyped the entry time all the way up to 42 i think!

Do you think there is more to come from you over 10k or is it a case of having to hit the perfect race at the perfect point in training? Do you think there are faster courses and or races than Dorney Dash?

If I look at the po10 rankings (only down to 40 minutes and not 42) then there are 6,380 runners and the races with the most ranked runners are below. Note this shows the race where the runner records his seasons best so there are may more sub 40 runners than 177 at BUPA 10,000 (about 380 men and women) so e.g. Dachs 35:16 at BUPA but 34:48 at Woodley.

177 London 27 May 12
    146 Eastleigh 25 Mar 12
    142 Manchester 11 Mar 12
    117 Salford 6 Apr 12
    114 Bristol 20 May 12
    111 Manchester 20 May 12
    109 Chichester 5 Feb 12
     93 Swansea 23 Sep 12
     76 Derby 1 Apr 12
     70 Stirling 16 Sep 12

08/10/2012 at 11:42

My club is offering its annual free (to members) road race. Wolverton 5 on 24/11. Its quite flat and always seems to be freezing cold. Saturday afternoon event.

08/10/2012 at 11:45

I had an 80mile drive home to think things over yesterday, and I think there are definite times when you smash a race and know that will take a big effort to ever beat it. Yesterday certainly wasn't one of those.

I started fastish, only got overtaken once, at 0.5km, and then spent the rest of the race gradually drawing people in, for 12th out of 1255. Therefore, I'm sure I raced as hard as I had on the day.

Didn't feel like I had an extra gear for the last 3k, but then i'd probably have needed 2 gears into the wind!

Dorney is certainly a fast course. I do remember feeling a bit dehydrated at the start though, so even that wasn't the "mythical" perfect race.

I think what definitely gives you the best chance is a high quality field. Interesting list you supplied there, I knew about Manchester, Eastleigh, London, Chichester, Bristol etc but the rest were new on me. I notice in Sam's racing list she's done a fair few of the fast courses....i feel i'm going down the same route to try and buy a pb!

Yesterday was a good size field, 1255, but only 7 under 35 wasn't as quality as it could have been. I certainly had long spells where I wasn't within 50metres of another runner. Even at the Victory 5miler I was arm to arm with runners for the majority of the race.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 11:47
08/10/2012 at 12:43

Anyone heard from Dt2 yet?

Wolverton is a possibility ric - I've heard its fast.

I agree re numbers at 10ks. Although Eynsham, for example, is a fast course, it still has a couple of tight bends, and a very slight incline (and a headwind last year) to add time, Despite this, it is many people's PB course and I think this is because of the high numbers of good club quality runners.

08/10/2012 at 14:13

SG - nice race at the weekend, and may i say a fair collection of excuses offered too

Looks like you are building nicely towards the CP.

08/10/2012 at 15:03

Guilty Dean   I didn't even have the opportunity to give it some about the long drive, but in reality that helps if anything.

DT2 is sucha  fast dog these days, he doesn't even need to sprint on here to boast about the most mild of achievements like us lot  And yet he has something pretty boastworthy to relay...

Bus, the 2 Oxfordshire 10ks come at a bad time, right in the middle of xc. But generally Oxfordshire have some quality runners so guarantee a good race.

One day I might return for the Headington 10k. One of only 2 races I've ever done when properly ill. Fever job, but I turned up to get club points! One of the things I don't miss about club championships!

The other one was the Finch XC years back. Finished and was on the floor coughing for about 20mins. Lost to Steve from HX for the only time ever by about 2seconds! Not that he accepts the excuse

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 15:08
08/10/2012 at 15:20

The Oxon Grand Prix tends to pull runners into races you woudln;t expect. Here is the fixture list so only Eynsham 10k to go if you want a fast tiem or to avoid if pot hunting.

http://www.woodstockharriers.com/topicdetails.asp?lblref=df888&topicID=48&pic=Oxon.%20Road%20Race%20Grand%20Prix

08/10/2012 at 15:29

It's funny, a few years ago, I did loads of races that were very low key, and even sought them out especially on occasion. Races were often off road or hilly.

These days it's the exact opposite, fast flat, pb fare generally, with pretty much the Wycombe 10k being the only exception outside of XC.

I expect one day I'll graduate back to the former...perhaps doing more races and less solo tempos...but no time soon.

Phil/Bus, are you up for a couple of road trips next year to seek out some of these top quality field races? Some we mentioned earlier?

08/10/2012 at 15:47

The Manchester race being the 'Great Run', the other one being the Trafford 10k, the Salford 10k is quick too but I haven't done that yet. We do have quite a few quick 10ks up here.

Nice dash out SG, as mentioed before, nice to get a sub 36 on the board and make it 'offcial'  Looking forward to what DT2 has been up to, don't know his name so couldn't even do a quick stalk.

Nice easy 10.5 yest to back up the 19 on Saturday. Will out on the hills tonight I reckon, if I can get out of work early enough before dark. I've entered a 10k on Sunday to keep sharp. So the CP is a no for me. Money being a key reason, as the 10k I'm doing is just down the road in sunny Wales. A hilly affair I'm told.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 15:47
08/10/2012 at 16:02

Back to the routine 10 miler. The off road element may have to be shelved early on unless I take a torch with me. Getting more awkward tresspassing on the golf course, there's all these people hitting things with sticks up there.

Daily mileages inc the day I detected the virus, 5,0,0,0,0,5,10,10,6,10,10,10,10,10. All easy effort, as in no pushing the pace. Comes out at around 8 min ml pace. First speed session since Aldershot day after tommorow.

Discovered a runner who was 16 seconds slower than me at Aldershot (3.73mls) just ran a 10k in 35mins and a bit. 

Ok, the bit was 55 seconds.

SS, DT2 is Dave Tannertwo, I think.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 16:07
08/10/2012 at 16:14

half right on the name Ric, but I'm not certain he necessarily wants his name bandied around on here!

Especially when you consider there's about 15people who ever post on here, yet we somehow rack up 1,000s of views a week.

And i only account for half of that

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 16:15
08/10/2012 at 16:31

Perhaps, but then again his status is somewhat higher than Sir Jimmy Sav OBE.

I'm sure DT can handly the shame of his speed and ability.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 16:34
12,781 to 12,800 of 25,917 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.