Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,801 to 12,820 of 25,260 messages
08/10/2012 at 16:55
I've been lurking on these threads for far too long now.Hi all.stevie see is it the flintshire10k?If so its two 5k laps round mold town centre with a hill of about a mile.I've raced the course twice.Hoping for anything that starts with a 36 on sunday!
08/10/2012 at 18:31

welcome steven....im guessing if you are aware of flintshire 10k you are another +1 for the northerners.

08/10/2012 at 18:46
Yes Dean i live about 10 miles from chester.
Im a relative newbie to this running lark.
Been running for just over year.one of my training partners is a regular on these threads.Andy the deestrider!
08/10/2012 at 19:06

i have only been running/training for a yr too! in fact its a yr to the day tomorrow i think.   

Andy ran well at lake vrynwy & is going strong by the sounds of it, so you are in good company there.  im sure PBs will follow you round!

Whats your race plans after flintshire?

08/10/2012 at 19:16

Steve, for one ugly moment, i thought you were the thankfully departed ex chairman of my local footy club!!

But you're not,  so welcome pal.

And another chap who's not been running too long and already hitting good times!

They always say you have 7-10years to improve.

But I've always wondered when that starts from? from your first run? When you perhaps mix it with another sport or are very casual?

Or from the start of high mileage intense training?

And then how high is high?

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 19:17
08/10/2012 at 19:29
Hi steve.After 6-7 months of pb after pb its already getting tougher.In the last few months ive steadily upped the mileage but im slowly realising that running is a patience game.i seem to have been targeting a sub37 for about the last 4 10k's.
08/10/2012 at 19:31

10k was never a distance i found easy starting out. Something about the 0.2 of a mile, and the 10 markers seems to play havoc!

What sort of age range are you? It doesn't really affect your capabilites that much this new into running, but will be interesting to get some background.

08/10/2012 at 19:31

A up Steve, welcome. I'd go for anything starting 36 on Sunday too, heard there is a long hill but for me it's not a PB exercise more of a sharpener to keep my legs ticking over amongst all this easy mileage.

Ran 8.5 today with a  pace of 8:50 a combination of poor sleep, a dodgy curry, 8 Peroni yesterday and I've had the runs all day. I felt very tired and unsettled. 8 visits to the toilet has left certain areas tender to say the least  Early night tonight me thinks. Shows how one bad night can affect your recovery so much.

08/10/2012 at 19:32
Ive made steady progress dean.your progress is on a different level!!im doing the four villages half in jan and our border league season starts in couple of weeks so looking forward to giving that a go
08/10/2012 at 19:38

Stevie, what have you been up to! Curries and 8 bottles of beer?! I couldn't knock back 8 bottles of water. Sounds miserable!

08/10/2012 at 19:41
stevie g im 36.After years following man utd home and away i realised i was starting to get signs of middle age spread!so started doing the newbie approach of running couple times a week as fast as i could.The competive element kicked in soon after and now ive become running obsessed!!!stil luv utd tho!!!
08/10/2012 at 19:48

Ah, you support the right team for this thread! Myself, DT2, ALD and Dean all share the support. Maybe we can have a thread trip to a United game one day as an alternative to a race!

I'm always encouraged by mid 30s guys coming in hard and smashing the scene up. Gives me plenty of belief I;m still a relative youngster, despite all the idiots at work giving it the "you're getting old" nonsense.

08/10/2012 at 19:50
stevie see i think you were just in front of me at capenhurst 5k.Shame your not racing it on sunday.your 10k pb is just where i want to be!im not a power10 stalker honestly!
08/10/2012 at 20:26

Ha ha, I can hear a noise in the bushes outside my house... is that you Steven!? Ha ha, I'm going out hard at Flintshire at current PB pace and see what occurs. Going to try a few new race day things too. Capenhurst is sooo quick shame I over did it in the opening 2K, could have PB'd there.

SG, 8 bottles is only 4 pints spread over 4 hours of super Sunday football. The curry set things off. The beer was lovely, not drank for 3 weeks. Well deserved!

08/10/2012 at 20:26

DT2 was running under cover on Sunday. The results are up on http://www.chiptiming.co.uk/pdf/RPF-HM.pdf but you won't find his name there even if you know him, but there is a club mate of his there who ran 85 for a half and now had a PB over 11 minutes faster. Looks like his first 5k would have made SG proud.

Unless there is a major coincidence, the winner, Martyn Bean, is not V45 as there is a 30 year old with the same name who is a 72 minute half guy. He has the worst conversion from half to full I have ever seen: double and add 20 minutes!  I even have a 1-0 wining steak against him (which means I beat DT2 by proxy )

08/10/2012 at 20:38

I probably could have saved you all that Sherlock Holmes work, and just said he came 3rd under a teammates's number. Must be annoying it doesn't count on your own record.

I bet I could rival that guy if I tried one. But let's not go down that route! No sireee bob!

08/10/2012 at 20:40

I'm confused. So DT2 didn't run under his name? Why? Why's this Martyn geezer got a 75 and 90 min half time?

08/10/2012 at 20:50

race gets sold out ages in advance probably Stevie...probably just had the opportunity late.

Not something i'd do, as i know how sods law works...you'd be guaranteed a pb and not be able to fully enjoy it!

pass on the 2nd question!

DT2
08/10/2012 at 21:23

Phew, well i don’t recommend doing a 22M run on a school night thats for sure! Still, officially the last 20M+ training run of this Mara build up, get in! J

Apologies for the delayed check in,(altough good work there detectives!) been busy grinding out the last few days training before Amsterdam, As SG mentioned, quite an ok weekend as it goes, started of well on Sat with Bushey parkruns 8th birthday, crappy times due to the park being waterlogged but managed 3rd place and then did a warm down lap with Danny Norman of the ‘parkrun show’ decent fella aswell.

Sun, what a great day of sport! Royal parks HM, afternoon nap followed by Utd dishing out a long overdue revenge pasting, a quick 6M to loosen the legs of then back just in time for El Classico....nice! as for the HM, decided en-route that i wasn’t going to go nuts out as A: i wanted to get a decent long run in today to try out my adios trainers over 20M+ plus, and B: I was actually running under a club mates name and he hadn’t got round to switching names over!

cracking day for a run, crisp cool and clear autumn morning, race started and after 800M I found myself in 1st place! Hang on  i thought, somethings not right here! Slowed the pace slightly, 1st mile in 5.17, fast but not suicidal! Let 2nd place take the lead and settled into 5.30pace, 1st half of the race felt amazing! 5.30pace felt comfortable, plus i was being lead out down horse guards parade and down the mall by my very own lead bike with a field of 12500 behind me! Couldn’t help but smile and think ‘this is what it must feel like to be an elite! A very profound moment indeed, and made me realise the last 3yrs of hard graft, the 5.30am runs in  the cold, dark wind and rain are all for moment like this! Held 2nd place to 8m until an Italian runner (the full on ‘Italia’ branded outfit was a bit of a giveaway!) ran the next mile with him and started closing on 1st place before thinking ‘oh crap! I cant try and win this i’ll get busted for running in someone elses name! Let the guy I was running with pull away slightly and coasted in for 3rd place overall, time wasn’t anything to right home about, 73.xx i think (my watch stopped at 13.1M which was a good 400M out with 1.12.46 on it) so all in all, not a weekend for great times, but certainly a weekend for great experiences!

SS, I only umped in last minute to use it as a training run as a club mate had to pull out through injury, not something i'd usually do, but a free place for a race that costs as much as this one does is pretty hard to turn down!

08/10/2012 at 21:34

Cripes DT2, what's your actual pb right now, if you're not happy with a 1hr 13 job!?

12,801 to 12,820 of 25,260 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.