Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,861 to 12,880 of 26,713 messages
11/10/2012 at 16:54
Dachs well done on the marathon the other week by the way, brilliant running for your first marathon. I'd love to go that quick. One day eh.
11/10/2012 at 19:56
andy the deestrider. wrote (see)

Dean R your progress over the year is amazing how'd you do it. Did you do some sport before running? If you dont mind me askin.

Seems Dean likes the hockey, he mentioned it enough times here to get to the top of the google search engine:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/moraghan-training---stevie-g/156312-595.html

Boring, wet, slow 5 recovery at lunchtime. Guess it could have been worse, at least it was over with relatively quickly.

11/10/2012 at 20:17

Just got an email from England athletics, you can see it on-line here:

http://www.englandathletics.org/page.asp?section=1743&sectionTitle=2013-17+Affiliation

seems the £5 fee is going up to £10 for road runners and for track runners £20 raising to £23. Seems a good deal for us roadies and also seems that they are cutting the price of race insurance so they have undercut ARC by a long way (ARC costs £10 per race plus you pass on 50p of the £2, UKA now is £25 flat so as soon as you have 30 unaffiliated runenrs it is cheapr to use UKA) so time to campaign all clubs to use the £25 flat fee so all races get on po10, yippee!

http://www.englandathletics.org/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=8816

11/10/2012 at 21:06

Be good to have it all on one site....not sure our northern friends understand our frustrations as from what I hear most northern stuff is power of 10 friendly.

To be fair, using the power of 10 race fixtures is a good way to make sure. Surprisingly, there's usually a fair few races on there that aren't even on the RW calendar, so helps to look around.

11/10/2012 at 21:06
Philip_M_Jones that link was a giggle. I think it was just about cleared up enough what he was saying

Did a whole 3 miles tonight at snail pace. :-/
11/10/2012 at 21:29
andy the deestrider. wrote (see)

Dean R your progress over the year is amazing how'd you do it. Did you do some sport before running? If you dont mind me askin.

Andy - kind words.cheers... cheers philip for that link, in case you missed it i think the ladies needed results to go their way.....

played hockey but I was a decent u18 level runner too.  I have been retired from hockey for 5yrs or (7yrs from the higher level) so my fitness fell away completely and ballooned up beyond 14st before i started training a yr ago. 

Also i run my slow stuff slow and my intervals as fast as i can keep consistant.  Even if its faster than the traditional 10k pace.

i only came back to get a sub 80 HM & a sub 3 mara and then i was planning to quit but im enjoying it more than i thought so i will keep it up a bit longer

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 21:34
11/10/2012 at 22:08

That's intersting re the UKA v ARC insurance. I wonder if most clubs will realise (Handy X - be good to have the Marlow 5 and Wycombe Half back on Po10!). ALos, wonder if ARC will change their costs?

No run for me today, but a pretty sore left foot for some reason. Hope it's just one of those things that goes as quickly as it came! Went for my first swim since August instead. Quite pleased as, although a little slower than normal, I still managed 64 lengths of front crawl without any problems. Swimming aint half dull though!! Mind you, it wasn't as wet in the pool as on my bike ride home tonight!

14 stone eh Dean? No wonder you progressed so quick - once the weight came off, it must have felt easy

11/10/2012 at 22:23

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/winsfordxc2012_156.htm

Stevie See - is your look to camera suprise that you are ahead of keith lemon?

12/10/2012 at 00:26
Dean when you say you run my slow stuff slow what sort of pace would you tend to mean by that? If you dont mind me asking.
12/10/2012 at 07:57

Ah Dean, the classic naive thought of someone new to running.

As if you were going to be able to quit when you hit those initial targets!!

12/10/2012 at 08:09
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/winsfordxc2012_156.htm

So that will be your Nancy boy northern cross country round a field where everyone comes home with white socks

Down here in the south, the job of family and spectators is to stand near the mud monsters and pull out shoes as quick as possible before they get sucked down to the depths and are never seen again.

12/10/2012 at 08:56

andy it was 7.30 to 8min mileing but i have upped it more recently so it is around 7.15 - 7.30 on a flat route so not super slow so much now.  When i first started i ran intervals at a pace i thought i could keep consistant even if it was much faster than my PB would advise.  Im old school, i know RobT will agree, with regards to intervals train fast to race fast.  So i run some intervals to aspriational pace rather than current pace.  Plenty will agrue thats bad advice!

PMJ - i have now bought black socks to mask the lightweight nature of XC up here  also arent your southern xc held on trails/roads where you dont need spikes  but run near a tree so have called it xc

12/10/2012 at 09:12

From what I have heard (which is probably third hand at best) the England Athletics race permit costs will apply to clubs only, so while it could be good for SG's bugbear, the Dorney Dash, etc, races organised by charities and businesses may well still use ARC.  However, definitely a good thing in my book.

I've got some swelling on the top of my foot now. Curses.

12/10/2012 at 09:15

take some well deserved time off Dachs, let all the mara niggles have time to disappear

12/10/2012 at 09:28

Dachs, better now than before the marathon!

Swelling's a sign of something not right though, so one to heed definitely. Hopefully you're still ok for the CP. But in the scheme of things it's not the be all and end all over long term health and progression.

Dean, our xcs are glorious. You can only wear spikes at about 2 of the courses, but that's because the rest are so varied. They can have their deep mud, and water jumps, but then you'll have a section on pebbly gravel, that your knees wouldn't thank you for rattling down with metal on your feet!

12/10/2012 at 10:01

I ran in the Surrey League XC last year and I can vouch that spikes were essential for each race I ran in. No gravel or tarmac in sight, but for a footpah crossing of about 2 metres at Lloyd Park. Not as much mud as I was expecting though.

Talking of running intervals too fast, 10 x 400m at the club last night. Average of 73 seconds. That's what happens when you try to follow quicker clubmates.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 11:11
12/10/2012 at 14:45

session came out reasonably bang on on at lunch

2miles at HMP (5.55), 90secs, 2miles at Tempo(5.50), 90secs, 1mile 10k(5.40)

(5:54,5:57),(5.42,5.46),(5.41)

Pretty windy out for the HMP bit, hence finding the tempo bit with no wind more comfy than usual! 

Little bit windy on the 10k mile, but when you're just doing 1 mile it's easier to deal with.

I could feel the "exertion" feeling in the stomach in the last half of the 10k mile, but on finishing was fine. I'd say that's the ideal feeling, so the effort of the overall session must have been right on.

Enjoying these hard sessions more these days. I don't know if it's feeling at best fitness to date, or just losing the sluggish/milk related issues.

12/10/2012 at 15:14

Long and slow at lunch for me: 14.5 in 1:50 but got to check out the the bit of Cabbage Patch from Petersham to the bridge at Richmond where it follows along the Thames. Last year this was the gravel bit SG talks about, but today it was a hell of a lot worse. Thre are some major works going on so big dggers and diversions and part of the path is closed so there is a diversion over really coarse tarmac. Once you are by this you are back onto the gravel which is just more churned than last year but sesm to have been toped with large pebbles.

12/10/2012 at 15:25

as long as they get it sorted for Sunday next week Phil, as the Stevie G roadshow rolls into town

12/10/2012 at 15:57
Stevie G . wrote (see)

as long as they get it sorted for Sunday next week Phil, as the Stevie G roadshow rolls into town

No chance, this is one settled in set of works: portaloos and all.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 15:57
12,861 to 12,880 of 26,713 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.