Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,901 to 12,920 of 24,133 messages
13/10/2012 at 15:36
Ye Ricf I got ill so had two weeks of no running followed by a marathon last sunday. Recovering slowly. Do feel week though after suddenly going from 11st 4 to 10st 10lbs in 10 days of bein ill.
13/10/2012 at 16:35

dont worry Andy you will soon be race fit soon enough, but tomorrow sounds like a nice little thread showdown between SS, steven & yourself.

some good training going on but have to give a shout out to SG for his tempo stuff yesterday. you smashed my effort this morning hands down.    i tried a 7m run this morning 1.5m @ 7mm bookending a tempo of 4m @ 5.58.  I found getting to just 5.58 hard and the last 2 miles required me sprinting to get it under 6mins.  The fact a low end tempo for me is supposed to be 5.40 shows i need to get used to tempos and try harder.  I try and tell myself the fact it was 7am, only 4 degrees and freezing cold is the reason but its just an excuse as i struggled last week when it was warmer

Long run tomorrow, much easier

13/10/2012 at 16:43

4miles at true tempo is a tough ask oustide race day Dean, so fair play for attempting!

It's definitely those kind of hard long tempos that get you faster when you've scraped the chaff off your times though.

3 for me today, and 12 tomorrow. I feel a little lazy, but there are some big races ahead

13/10/2012 at 17:03

Just a 3? What's the excuse for that?

Dean, tempo runs are the devils work. I find getting up to MP a tough ask. I do find it easier on the track when doing tempo pace as rattling through laps at 90 seconds seems a doss as you're so used to smashing out 75-85 seconds laps during intervals. 15 laps later however...  

13/10/2012 at 17:13

just a recovery run today. In fairness i felt pretty fresh after yesterday, but with some big races coming up, probably doesn't harm to keep calm right now.

Stevie, you sound like i was at the start of this thread....faster stuff with recoveries fine, medium hard for miles with no recoveries, quite tough.

I've equalised that inbalance out now , I'm sure you'll do the same, as it's those tempo long runs that will be your next step im sure

I've done a couple of 6milers at MP on the track before...not the easiest on the mind doing that many laps...

ps Phil, you're not in any state to be joining for the 12 tomorrow are you?

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 17:16
13/10/2012 at 18:33
andy the deestrider. wrote (see)
Ye Ricf I got ill so had two weeks of no running followed by a marathon last sunday. Recovering slowly. Do feel week though after suddenly going from 11st 4 to 10st 10lbs in 10 days of bein ill.

13/10/2012 at 19:45
Stevie G . wrote (see)

ps Phil, you're not in any state to be joining for the 12 tomorrow are you?

I am definitely back to the state where a 12 with you is possible. I need to be on Dad duty tomorrow as Mrs PMJ is out all day dancing. Next Sunday (21st) is Cabbage Patch and then 28th I have a Dashers event so 4th November looks like a possible meet up, then 11th is Dashers XC, 18th possible again and then 25th is Sandhurst XC so you may be sick of me on Sundays by then.

Wycombe 6 points in 2 matches after 2 points in last 8, bit of a turn round and out of relegation zone and one or two more winds to reach mid-table mediocrity.

13/10/2012 at 19:53

Wycombe are experiencing the classic "new manager" instant upturn in fortunes situation, albeit it a caretaker manager. This division is pretty mediocre, so who knows where they can get to.

I don't look forward to the Datchet XC, but i really do the Sandhurst one. Missed it last year which was gutting, home event for the club. A physio had said i was free to run, but the sensible (and followed) approach was not to.

The shortest race, and very varied. Really like it. Ends on a cheeky little hill too! Always terrible weather!!

Nov 4th eh? We could have our run around the Marlow half route.....on Marlow half marathon day, at the same time as it

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 19:55
13/10/2012 at 22:37
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Nov 4th eh? We could have our run around the Marlow half route.....on Marlow half marathon day, at the same time as it

If you mean enter the race, then no, if you mean shout at bus on the steep hills and take short cuts between, then yes.

14/10/2012 at 08:47

morning 12 done.

Good luck all the racers, look forward to reading about them later.

DT2
14/10/2012 at 11:57
13 nice and easy miles at just under 6.30 avg, stunning morning for it aswell. very jealous of anyone that's getting race in these conditions today, perfect!

Dean, tempos on your own are bloody tough! I share the pain of mine within a group effort, I'd be buggered if I had to tackle them on my lonesome!
14/10/2012 at 15:36

Afternoon,

Flintshire 10k today, course had two decent hills going out and one very good downhill at the back of each lap. Set off at the usual clip and found myself in about 12th after the usual ipod wearing warriors charged past and fell back 1km later. The hills weren't 'killer' but you did need a decent amount of resolve and graft to keep at a decent pace.

Wobbled at the top for 200m and then enjoyed the downhill. Hit 5k - knowing something was up with my GPS as I was running hard but had me at 6:08 pace average. Kept going as I was picking off a runner every K or so. Got to the top of the hills on lap 2 and felt comfortable (well as much as you can at 8k) and launched into a big 1.25 miles. Last mile was 5:38. My watch was showing a 6:02 min/mile average so I'd expect to see 37:30ish, only to sprint finish and see 36:45!  (36:44 chip time) My GPS has messed up the starting point so was slightly out of sync, hence the pace was slower. If I had know I was so close to my PB I'd have mustered another 5 seconds without a doubt! Came 7th in the end, so very pleased with that.

Did a few dry barfs down the road at the end and at the finish! Bus would have been proud! Great to meet the Deestrider crew! Very nice chaps indeed, good to have a few new familiar faces to chat to on race day. They can tell their own story, but Steve H's story was intertwined with mine at various points! Andy not so much  

That's 45 miles this week, back up to big miles next week. Excited to see what I can do when I start hill/interval sessions again

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 15:37
14/10/2012 at 16:08

Dt2 - behave - 13 "easy" miles at 6.30 pace!! I guessone man's easy is another's all out effort!

You are right though - beautiful weather for a race this morning, especially the Ridgeway 15.5k which takes in the delights of the Ashridge estate and Pitstone Hill. Very chilly to start this morning, but crisp and clear.

My chief target today was to beat my longest standing course PB from 2006 of 62:38. All other PBs have been beaten by a good way, but not this one for some reason. I came close last year, but no cigar. So, last night I duly loaded up the GPS to keep track of last year's splits and pace, to try and use the info to edge ahead. But....

Got out of the car at the race, where's my Garmin? In the kitchen drawer at home! Doh!! Oh well, good start, but at least it wasn't a 10k or something that really benefits from knowing your pace.

So, warmed up with a few laps of the sports field near the finish area then a jog to the start, where I had a quick chat with Frank, a couple of runners who I've been close to recently and Guy Woollett, who I was intending to use as a pacer if he was at the same level as last year before to make up for my lack of GPS!!

Well, off we went, for the first 2 miles on flattish tarmac, at a fair pace (if only I'd known what it was!). A long-time rival, Owen Byrne went off very fast, too fast I thought, so I decided to try and take it a bit easy and reel him in later - a fast start is very dangerous on this course given the hills about to come! Meanwhile, Guy was obviously on better form than he thought, or was letting on, as he caught up close to Frank. Last year's winner soon disappeared into the distance, and I was hovering about 8th place before overtaking Owen and thinking I'd pull ahead..

Not much changed when we got up the hill past the Ashridge monument, and I was running on my own with about 100m clear either side as we dodged the hoards of dog walkers, DofE students and pram pushers. Some Leighton Buzzard guy came out of no where and left me for dead - this was tinged with relief as at first I thought it was Owen and I was slowing. A few more ks went past, with no idea how I was doing other than my relative position, when I was overtaken by a young lad from Vale of Aylesbury - again, relieved it wasn't Owen. Couldn't manage to hold on to him, and off we went down a slippy, slightly dodgy downhill before coming out of the trees and on toward Pitstone Hill, where a galnce behind revealed Owen had made up a lot of ground on me. By this time, my legs were feeling very sore, and my hips and back were hurting. With Guy miles ahead and Owen just yards behind I was starting to get a bit despondent and wondering why I was doing so badly, and with no watch to tell me otherwise! A short, sharp climb that precedes a slow section of rolling, greasy chalk upland with splendid views out from the Chiltern scarp - if you're brave or stupid enough to look! On the downhill Owen passed me - hes' a demon descender! A loud "ouch" revealed he's slightly twisted an ankle, but somehow still managed to run on (he was hobbling in the car park later), and I couldn't close the gap - mentally very hard! Anyway, before too long we were back on the road for the 2 mile flattish run-in to the finish. I was hoping to make a dent in the two guys ahead and pushed on, but even though I could see them tiring, I didn't have anything left in the tank to speed up and my legs were screaming at me. A glance over my shoulder with 500m to go showed a red vest - Handy X? Trevor? Probably! Just managed to keep it together to cross the line in 9th with what I thought was going to be a slow time. I asked Owen his time, and was really pleased when he said 62:27, though I thought I was more than 15 secs behind him. It wasn't that I was running sl

14/10/2012 at 16:12

Posted such a long one you had time to do yours in between Stevie

Very proud of the barfing, especially as it got you a very good time on a hilly course. Prouder if they'd been wet ones though. Just shows we should all bin our GPS's and use sun-dials or something!

14/10/2012 at 16:59

DT2, if 6.30 is your easy pace, then we'll be expecting your next 10k at 4.55 pace then.   Nice run.

Stevie, hills and close to your pb sounds a good sign after a few frustrating races for you. I'm surprised there's a race in the north where a 36 is 7th, you lot normally tell me that 32mins is only top 15

Seriously though, a top ten is always most welcome. Did chuckle at the "ipod warriors". Brings back memories of the 5k myself and Bus did in June where some ipod clown was trying to match a 15min 5k runner!

14/10/2012 at 17:03

Bus, epic report,  but it dropped out just before the crunch...did you get a course record.

You best have, as i can't imagine you get many chances to race 15.5k

Big Trev shows that you must maintain quite a bit of your running pace, however long you take off, but not quite his top peak form. He's still a big name to beat though.

14/10/2012 at 17:16

and.... BUS... ?

Not the highest quality field for this one SG. Very pleased with my last 3 races in base training. The trail race result made up for a lack of HM PB and today has shown good signs for the Leeds Abbey Dash. You do need a sub 32 if want anywhere near the top 50!

14/10/2012 at 17:37

Bugger!  Like ripping a page from the end of a book!Thought i'd gone a bit!

Right, as I was saying......

....slow, it's just that Guy was on fire and Owen was on very good form! HAd to wait until the presentation to get my time though, so after a quick shower and a bacon roll, I had a chat with the Handy Cross boys, who'd turned up on mass for the  team prize! Finally picked up my £10 M&S voucehr for 9th place, but more importantly got my time as well, which was ....

wait for it, wait for it!

...62:36!!! Only 2 secs faster, but faster none the less on a course PB that had seen me try to better it every year since 2006!

Guy ended up just 9 secs behind Frank, who finished 4th in a very speedy 60:47.  james Buis, the winner for th past 5 years wasn't pushed to hard, coming in mor than 2 mins down on last year's time.

Best improver award must go to this guy though, who finished 2nd in 59:53, not just over last year's Ridgeway, but over other perfomances this year:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=278683

14/10/2012 at 18:01
The Bus wrote (see)

Best improver award must go to this guy though, who finished 2nd in 59:53, not just over last year's Ridgeway, but over other perfomances this year:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=278683

Agree, 82 at Wokingham and not even sub 60 for 10 miles and he is takign time out of Frank and a lot of others.

14/10/2012 at 18:20

Looks the 10miler had the word "tough" in it, at least last year...so might explain it.

Bus, £10 for 9th! Was that literally for 9th place, or for 2nd or 3rd vet or something?

Is it a big field?

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 18:22
12,901 to 12,920 of 24,133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.