Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,921 to 12,940 of 25,535 messages
14/10/2012 at 18:29

Number for Cabbage Patch arrived yesterday. Had a scroll down the entry list until I'd determined no prizes will be coming my way this year. There's a fellow running who has nearly 50 age graded performances  over 90%. There's one for 10k of; wait for it, 100.90%. Not even in my age group. The one who is, did 53 mins a couple of years back. 

Speed session this morning. Feeling slightly off key beforehand but averaged 5:23 min ml pace for each 1/4 mile stretch and despite attempting to reign back the pace to an imagined level race pace (next week), kept over cooking it. Looking for 57:30 ten mile pace not 54. Keep thinking 3/4 effort for start pace.

14/10/2012 at 19:18

You know Ric, there were a few racers today you might have had some words for! You are the new Sawney Bean!

And 57:30 is aiming big isn't it?!

Sam A was racing another marathon today, 14 days after the last one. Equally exotic location, Toronto. 11th woman, and 2:48, which would be terrific stats, if she wasn't after a sub 2:40. (PB 2:42, best this year 2:44).

Even from my utterly amateur angle, I can't help but feel she's being badly advised if she really wants to hit that very demanding goal. Who thought another marathon 2 weeks on was a good idea...i mean seriously!

Half marathons maybe, but you can't just add another marathon so close and expect to be at peak form.

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 19:19
14/10/2012 at 19:26

I think she was only running as she was picked for an England vest. Even by sam's standards, 2 marathons in 2 weeks is a bit of a stretch!

TRC give prizes for first 10 at Ridgeway, but it does get complicated by the vets, as you just get one prize, but its the one with the biggest value, so Frank got 4th and not 1st V40, whihc he was, 3rd V40 got 1st V40 and I got 8th for my 9th place!

14/10/2012 at 19:51

if i wasn't certain i'll be long clapped out by 40, i'd almost be looking forward to being a vet, the amount of prizes you rake in

Sam should have sacked off Berlin, and just done this one then. Unless they only give her very sparce notice, which i can't believe at that level

14/10/2012 at 20:06

SG, Indeed, SS and the The Bus. Congradulations on your races today. You really know how to dig out a result and report on it.

Who's Sawney Bean?

57:30 is simply based on last years results. Last year I ran Aldershot in perfect conditions in 22:30 and ended up on my face. This year I ran 21:58 in conditions that couldn't be worse and recovered in one minute. At Cabbage Patch last year I ran 58:33 having run the last 3 miles in 18 mins plus. On basic calculations my projected time based on Aldershot is 57:10, and that would be under adverse conditions which I understand might be the order of next Sunday. 

14/10/2012 at 20:11

Sawney is good guy, but very infrequent poster. Normally single posts about his recent pb, ignoring all sense of flow to the thread, then not seen for months  

Well, you've picked a big aim Ric, best of luck.

Although i pipped you last year by a bunch of seconds and am as fit as I've ever been, I won't be predicting taking a minute off!

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 20:24
14/10/2012 at 20:31

SG, yes right I see. I'll admit I write many posts but delete them instead of submitting them as I deem them going against the grain of the thread. My own training is just an experiment at the moment. I've always mixed it up and attempted to cut corners and to a certain extent got away with it. Difficult to chip in with some guff about doing nothing but easy miles and restricting speed-work to only 5% of total average mileage. I've just gone along with an idea that a guy called Joe Henderson came up with in 1969 called LSD, Long Slow Distance. He just got fed up with training hurting all the time so decided to train at a pace that was comfortable and race at distances that provided satisfaction. Like him I seem to unexpectedly have discovered that its possible to apply next to no effort from one day to the next and still improve. Just an alternative training method. But I feel the need to produce a result before broadcasting. 

If conditions are the same as last year SG, you'll go sub 57. But you'll have to avoid a 5:15 first mile.

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 20:35
14/10/2012 at 20:33

I spoke to Sam a few weeks ago and there was no plan to do two marathons but the England set up were very late to offer Toronto by which time she was in a mind to do Berlin and didn't want to turn down the chance of a vest. Berlin is much faster than Toronto so the latter was always just go out and do someting.

14/10/2012 at 20:42

Ric, that's more like it, never feel you have to reign your comments in for fear of going against the usual. There is no usual in fairness....i train one way, Bus a different way, the northern guys a bit different etc.

Training should never hurt. That's why I like Moraghan's coaching, where you're never running too hard for your current ability. None of this thrashing reps out until you're suck business. Always walk away from a session feeling worked out not knackd.

As someone who has hit the low 33 for 10k, mid 55s for 10m, you have plenty of experience to give, even if by your own admission there's some corner cutting these days

Sub 57...you're getting carried away there old son.  57:5x given a great race and conditions maybe, but sub 57, can't see that!!

Phil, fair dos...hell of a distance to go in the circumstances tho!

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 20:43
14/10/2012 at 20:56

SG, I meant that I used to cut corners in the past, whereas the last few months I haven't at all. I've got 20 years of diaries full of unstructured mish mash training on my shelf to remind me. 

Edited: 14/10/2012 at 20:59
15/10/2012 at 08:22
mornin all.some crackin race reports from stevie s and bus.i returned 2 where the running journey began last yr flintshire 10k.ran a 36.54 yesterday compared to a 40.52 last yr so more than happy with that progress.thought i was cruising the last mile in 5.48 pace til stevie cruised passed me.i'll av u nxt time!
heres where it gets tougher me thinks and and the numbers game is about seconds.
likewise stevie enjoyed avin a chat.hopefully are paths will cross again.your 10k pb is due to be smashed next time out me thinks!
15/10/2012 at 09:14

Well done Steven. That's some cracking progression in a year and to go sub 37 as well - excellent stuff.

15/10/2012 at 12:02

Full times for the Toronto maarthon are up on po10.

4 people ran for England

Ben Fish PB 2:19 ran 2:23
Kevin Skinner PB 2:21 ran 2:31
Emma Stepto set a new PB of 2:42
Sam Amend PB 2:42 ran 2:48

Almost looks like pro footballers and club versus country.

15/10/2012 at 12:20
Stevie G . wrote (see)

if i wasn't certain i'll be long clapped out by 40, i'd almost be looking forward to being a vet, the amount of prizes you rake in

3months 2 weeks 2 days to go...then i better start seeing some income inline with regular prize winning elder Bus  

Im looking forward to being offically old so i can be dismissive of younger runners about how they dont train like we used to and how a sub XX gets you a top 3 nowadays wouldnt have got in the top 50 in my youth

Great racing Bus, yet more bling and a course best is always a nice thing.

SS & Steven H great work. High finishing positions too. Looks like the training is paying off. Sounds like it is nowhere near a PB course so for SH to grab a PB and SS to miss by a few seconds shows how well you overcame and raced it.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 12:25
15/10/2012 at 12:29
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Full times for the Toronto maarthon are up on po10.

4 people ran for England

Ben Fish PB 2:19 ran 2:23
Kevin Skinner PB 2:21 ran 2:31
Emma Stepto set a new PB of 2:42
Sam Amend PB 2:42 ran 2:48

Almost looks like pro footballers and club versus country.

I wonder how they make these selections, as the 2 guys are 8th and 15th in the rankings for 2012 and Steptoe and Sam are 14th and 16th.

Did the guys and gals ahead of them turn the chance down, or is it all about being part of more well known clubs?

15/10/2012 at 12:31
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
3months 2 weeks 2 days to go...then i better start seeing some income inline with regular prize winning elder Bus  

thought you were 37 or so, not within touching distance of 40. But it's in your massive benefit, that you're not only fairly fast in the scheme of things, but on the improvement scale too!

15/10/2012 at 14:14
cheers dean and bus.i mite try and sneak another 10k in before end of yr and try and chip a bit more off!!
i know you are doing four villages dean have you got any other races planned?
im tempted to give telford a go just before christmas.
shame you are down south bus.the midlands is as far as us northern monkeys go!!!
15/10/2012 at 14:28

Great 10K work from 2 of the Steve's, particulary excellent for Steven to break 37.  Nice 15.5K-ing (?!) from Bus as well - I have been to the Ashridge estate, and have no desire whatsoever to run around there...

Some CP-related fighting talk going on I see.  57s all round, eh? Clearly, being likely to be slightly sub-par having done little mileage for the last 3 weeks, I risk trailing home behind several of this thread, and ending up with a 3-0 losing record against SG...Better hope for that post-marathon bounce if I want the thread win...

15/10/2012 at 14:49
cheers dachs.very impressive mara debut by the way!it wil be a few years before i have the balls to do one of them!!
15/10/2012 at 14:51
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Steptoe and Sam

Nice work...

12,921 to 12,940 of 25,535 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.