Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,941 to 12,960 of 24,125 messages
15/10/2012 at 15:21

57:59 at utter best on an amazing day maybe

But seeing as Ric has started the proceedings in suggesting ridiculous times for people, Dachs, I reckon if you're not sniffing at the cheeks of a 55:xx you've let yourself down, let your club down, and more importantly by association me down

ps i remember tkaing you to school at Wokingham, but what was the first victory? If CP goes to form, and I'm nursing a mere 2-1 head to head I might have to very carefully monitor your race calendar!

15/10/2012 at 15:33

Dachs - i hit 57.10 for the 10m marker at my last HM so im sure you will be at least in the 56's.  My money is on you for the thread bragging rights as you are the form monkey. 

Steven H - ignoring XC my next 2 races are Telford 10k in dec and helsby HM in Jan.  Telford is a very fast course!

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 15:34
15/10/2012 at 15:56

SG - you beat me at Reading HM 2011.  OK, back then I'd only been running casually once a week, and it was my first race for over 15 years, and you wouldn't have known me from Adam, but it's still in the records.  A 14 minute margin too!

Dean - loving the confidence.  Sub-57 was the aim, but having run a grand total of 22 miles over the last 2 weeks, who knows where I am.  I am going back out tonight after 4 days out to see what my foot feels like.

15/10/2012 at 16:28
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

3months 2 weeks 2 days to go...then i better start seeing some income inline with regular prize winning elder Bus

You have to pick the races carefully. Look at the Perkins Great Eastern Run Half from yesterday (shout out to Race Jase for a 69:46 scorcher) and first V40 was 9th in 69:54 and first V45 was 10th in 70:12.  That is a massive 92% WAVA

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 16:29
15/10/2012 at 16:37

Well done Stevie See and Steven H on the 10km race.

Bus - more crazy racing! It seems to race almost every weekend! Well done on another great effort.

Abingdon marathon for me this weekend. I could do with it coming in another 6 weeks time as I'm just starting to feel like I am getting back to somewhere near a decent level of fitness, but I'm lacking speed endurance big time and my lactate threshold is probably a lot lower than it should be. Anyway, I'll hopefully have another sub 3, which would be satisfactory after the past few months.

Sounds like it is going to be one almighty smackdown at CP this Sunday. I've never raced a 10 miler before so I'll have to put that on my to do list.

Stalking some race results yesterday my jaw dropped when I saw RaceJase's time for Perkins GER. That guy doesn't stop improving!

15/10/2012 at 16:44

PMJ - some very fast times there.....but thats my problem as i tend to choose fast PB races where there is some proper quality at the front end so i wont figure in races like trafford 10k, telford 10k, christleton 5k or Wilmslow Half. 

I think more hilly local races would scare off the speedsters and allow a high place finish

15/10/2012 at 18:32

Yes Phil, my guess is you wouldn't pick one of the "Great" series runs if you wanted a V40 award

That's like saying, be careful what race you do if you're 70+, as you might come across the record holder who did an indescriable 38:16!!

http://www.silsonjoggers.org.uk/images/uploaddocs/SILVERSTONE_10km_-_Top_10_times_2012.pdf

15/10/2012 at 20:34
Stevie G . wrote (see)

That's like saying, be careful what race you do if you're 70+, as you might come across the record holder who did an indescriable 38:16!!

http://www.silsonjoggers.org.uk/images/uploaddocs/SILVERSTONE_10km_-_Top_10_times_2012.pdf

I used to race for Leamington so I have run with all those guys and others. No wonder I had piles of team prizes but no individual records. We (Leamington) literally had handfuls of world record holders in the age groups, from Simon Kinson as a junior going sub 30 to Bob, George and Calvin doign the older groups up to the 80+

15/10/2012 at 20:55

Tough ten tonight. Legs were spannered. Best shape up!

Sunday will be a right smack down! Lots of people in good shape at the moment. SG - has done some tasty tempos that will suit 10 mile race pace. Phil you racing? You still have that sub 60 record going? That's some achievement.

I'm considering a Manchester league XC at the weekend on Saturday and do my long run on Sunday (I have all the next week off work to recover! ) There's also a very cute XC girl my age who I need to get chatting to

15/10/2012 at 22:28

Thanks Warren. Weekend off racing for me this weekend though! Finger's crossed fo Abingdon....

Sunday does look to be hotting up for some fast and furious action. I hoep that bit of building work doesn't affect things much. As for head to heads, I think Dachs should be going against SG on cumulative time given that Reading result! Dachs - I love the way you make 2011 seem like it was in the dim and distant past!

38:16 10k at 70 - absolutely phenomenal! How is that even possible? Mind you, Paul Gregory's 32:37 as V50 is also pretty impressive! 

Rest for me today (well from running). Lunchtime swim, bike ride to work and back and a core session. Fair bit of residual pains in calf and hip, but will see how an early morning run to the station works out tomorrow.

15/10/2012 at 22:32

Bloody hell. One heck of a 'rest' day

16/10/2012 at 04:31

Hi Guys, fast veterans. I had a good chat to Paul Gregory after the Maidenhead 10. Not too keen on cold conditions. tends to seize him up. Mike Hager 100.90% age grader, 32:31 10k at 58. Running in this years CP.

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 07:12
16/10/2012 at 07:49

out of interest, how in blazes can anyone be higher than 100% age grading. Bearing in mind that 100% means you're the fastest in the world!

Bus, crazy rest day!

It's funny, Stevie, Dachs n Bus, when i was reading the pre race hype last night, i was nursing a bizarre ache in the shin i'd never felt before. I blame reading Dach's foot niggle going through to his shin the other day, and developing some kind of sympathy ache!

I had a read through of everything from shin splints, to stress fracture, to even compartment syndrome, then thought i'll stop this, ice and ibuprofen it, and hope i wake up fine.

Which I have

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 07:50
16/10/2012 at 09:31

That pre-race hypochondria is catching! My REALLY sore foot that I whinged about last week disappeared on race day too!

By rest, I mean resting those bits that are aching of course! Mind you, helping out at cubs last night didn't help. Due to oddd numbers I got roped into taking part in a game that consisted of running and stepping over pairs of stretched out legs. Of course, the largest of the cubs manged to land on my foot, twisting it side ways - oh how they lauged at  my cry of pain! Luckily I could manage to run on it this morning without too much problem! Just to add to the pain though, I made a schoolboy error on a wet stile this morning in the semi-dark. Distracted by a shadowy figure in the wood on the other side of the stile, I mounted it at full pelt and promptly slid at speed so that my shin hit a nice big, square edged wooden cross-bar. Bloody hurts I can tell you!

16/10/2012 at 10:23

Bus Ouch! 

actualy after some advice ....last tuesday i had a pain in the balls of one foot near the middle toe after xc intervals.  It was like a pea was stuck in my shoe. Painful but i could muster a run on it.  Over the last few days it has become more painful that i cant run on it and is painful to walk on.

So is this something any of you have had before and how do i mitigate it ?  Cheers

16/10/2012 at 10:45

Bus, stiles are massively hazardous always...you're lucky a wet one didn't cause too much more harm!

Dean, that my friend is onee of those niggles you can be 100% in classifying as "metatarsalgia".

Myself, Bus, Stevie See for 3 have had that to varying degrees over the last few months. Sounds like you may have it a little worse though. Definitely icing will help. Personally i ran through it, but never got into "pain" terrain for me.

You can get a little support you put over the ball of the foot apparently, not something i did, but a lot of sites suggest it.

16/10/2012 at 12:38

Dean, I had those exact symptoms a few years ago and I ran with a gel footpad that links onto your toe to alleviate it. Never stopped me running. I can't remember what site I got it from but it was fairly cheap, only a tenner or so, and it seemed to keep the problem at bay so I could run without any pain.

16/10/2012 at 13:00

cheers chaps - i will try icing it first

16/10/2012 at 13:15
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

last tuesday i had a pain in the balls of one foot near the middle toe after xc intervals.  It was like a pea was stuck in my shoe. Painful but i could muster a run on it.  Over the last few days it has become more painful that i cant run on it and is painful to walk on.

dean - that sounds like something I get very occasionally. What I've found helps are two things: first rolling a golf ball quite forcefully under the affected area, and secondly, using something to space out the toes (e.g. a good size of folded tissue or similar). I tend to put it between the toes either side of the pain. I'm assuming it works by stretching out the affected area a little; I've always assumed it's just like a little muscle knot, but around the tendons.

16/10/2012 at 14:21

sounds like it's a pretty common one!

Typical pre-race last quality session today. 3x1mile at HMP, Tempo and 10k off 90s.

5.53, 5.40,5.38

These sessions seem to go the same way at the moment, a bit of wind on rep 1, eases off so the 2nd rep is a bit too free, and then a good finish into a bit of wind, and a stomach telling me i'm working hard

12,941 to 12,960 of 24,125 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.