Moraghan Training - Stevie G

12,981 to 13,000 of 26,684 messages
16/10/2012 at 22:07

Glad I didn't bother with that one then! It would eb very frustrating. Do Po10 giuve it as a PB though?

Dachs - don't fret over CP with the foot. you'll be good enough to go by Sunday with icing, rolling etc and a bit of rest. Earlier this year, when I had the most severe metatarsalgia I'd ever had on holiday in the Lakes, I was faced with the decision to run the Coledale Horseshoe or not with a recovery time available of just over 24 hours and a bag of frozen peas to use for icing! I did it, including 3300 feet of descending, much of it on rocky ground with fell shoes having almost no cushioning. Yes it hurt, but no it didn't slow me up (much) and two days after it was back to square one - no better, but no worse and with no lasting damage. And, what's more, with the superdrug foot pad,  I was staright back in training, albeit on soft surfaces. Within two weeks it was completely gone. Given your current times you'd be mad to waste the opportunity to muller a ten miler like CP!  It would be a different kettle of fish if it was a stress fracture or something more serious, but MT, whihc your pea description makes it almost a certainty, whilst painful, will most likely go in quite a short time and you're highly unlikely to make it much worse with a flat 10 mile high-speed blast on Sunday.

47:51 isn't just ridiculous for a 40 year old Stevie! Possibly just as impressive is the length of the guys Po10 entries!!

Very nice 10k slipped in there Andy by the way...

16/10/2012 at 22:17

Hang on Bus,..i thought it was Dean with the MT, and Dachs is more a top of foot through to shin pain!

I remember witnessing Phil Wicks do a 48:xx at Maidenhead 10miler in about 06. He was STREETS ahead of everyone, literally a mile clear. Bearing in mind he was an international runner at the time, and this guy was actually quicker and 20years older. Well, just plain amazing.

But like the oldies always tell us, 47mins back then would only get you 73rd place out of 75 in a little village race

HM NAD certainly doesn't count for a pb by the way. It's short, so end of story.( It was on the power of 10 fixtures though, so must surely have been officially measured.)

17/10/2012 at 07:29

Hi guys, this is what PO10 has to say,

NAD  e.g. some parkrun events where the distance has not been officially measured but is thought to be "Near As Dammit" the advertised distance.

I've got one or two of these results on the PO10 list and they seem to count. If we believe that Garmins don't measure 'short' then the last two Summer League races I did were both long. Most annoying when apparently cruising along to a sub 28:30 five miler to discover when the 5 miles is up on the Garmin, the actual finish is way up the road, forcing some sprinting NAD just to get under 29.

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 07:33
IronCat5    pirate
17/10/2012 at 08:17

Garmin and Frimley Lodge parkrun are parity. Reading parkrun is longer than the Garmin, which is a pain as Reading has a long lead-in/finish straight.

Both are 5KMT so I don't yet have a 5km PB. Strangley RunBritain are happy to list all of my 'standard distance' PBs, regardless of how they were earned.

17/10/2012 at 08:49

Ric, your NADs () count as in they go on your record, but they wouldn't count in either your "pbs" section or the rankings.

A shame for my pal, she's going really well. If that 1:23 had stood she'd be well up the rankings. She reckons it measured 13.21 on the garmin, but says it was a really badly organised race, so wouldn't be surprised if they'd bungled it.

Either way her future is exciting, as she's only 23ish i think, has a boyfriend who runs low 33s for 10k, and is part of a good AC. A possible Sam Amend in the making perhaps. Already has a 3:10 marathon on her record, which will undoubtebly be a lot closer to 3 next time out.

17/10/2012 at 09:22

I know what you mean SG, I've broken 34 mins four times for 10k and not one was on a certified course. However I've run sub 5:30 pace on certified courses but not sub enough to break 34 mins. So long ago, it might as well be someone else.

Oxford HM. I was under the impression it had an eye watering entry fee. If so, a bloody disgrace.

17/10/2012 at 09:54

I simply wouldn't bother running a non certified course, unless it's XC or just some random distance that has no comparison factor.

if it's just not UKA that's ok, as it'll still have been measured etc.

I think it's not unwise to avoid first year big expensive races until they bed in a bit and teething troubles are sorted.

I can remember the rage of finishing a 1st year 10k (previous year it had been a fun run, and had been upgraded in distance), and the sinking feeling of realising there wasn't even a clock, let alone official results.

17/10/2012 at 10:40

regards oxford HM, a young lad from our club ran it as a first "raced" HM and got 71.59.  Ignoring the fact thats an excellent debut how p*ssed off would you be to find out the course was short and you dont get a PB.

to be fair if you debut at that level there is only one way your times are going to go so it will only take another race to get a solid PB

17/10/2012 at 12:07
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Hang on Bus,..i thought it was Dean with the MT, and Dachs is more a top of foot through to shin pain!

Oops - sorry guys, bit of late night brain fatigue creeping in there!

17/10/2012 at 13:51

you haven't got the hang of not writing in the quote box either have you

8 at lunch with 12x75m strides thrown in.

Sometimes feel like I haven't quite got the power in the right leg due to the perennial very slight dull glute feel, but it's probably just one of those phantom things.

Going through a spell of stitch type feelings in runs on and off now. I suppose it's preferable to the other thing!

As they've geniusly put the re-arranged England game to 4pm, will watch the 2nd half, and then get the evening double in. Just a 4 so not a big one.

17/10/2012 at 15:26

Nope - there's something about this RW site that brings out my inner luddite

I get that feeling sometimes, also in the right leg, as well as those bizzarre felings of your leg momentarily giving way!

8.4M at average 6:25 pace for me at lunch, with 1M warm up, then 6M tempo. I was intending 6 miles at HMP, but a serious headwind for part of mile 4 and most of mile 5 wore me out, so did the 6th at MP instead! Still, it meant I'd done a 38:10 10k at lunchtime - a couple of years ago I'd have been pleased with that as a race time!Splits for tempo section were: 6:02, 5:59, 6:01, 6:08, 6:15, 6:30.

After much wrangling with Stoke Mandeville over the past 6 months about the cost of using their track, they've offered an unlimited use deal for £22 per month. Seems reasonable, but still not sure given I'd only be using it once a week for 40 weeks of the year, so still works out at close to £7 per session....

Oh, it's going to rain, shall we close the roof - no let's wait until the pitch is waterlogged and the roof can't be closed (because its raining!) Genius!

17/10/2012 at 15:50

intending 6miles at HMP in a go rather than split in 3x2m is a big session! I could understand if it was your Marlow intended pace

Blimey, that's the compromise price!? How much was the full price!! They don't quite understand that distance runners generally don't use tracks that much in the scheme of things.

Shame you can't just sneak on.

Darn TVXC league. the clowns have moved the Tadley event from the 6th Jan to 13th. The 6th was a great time personally, with the 7th off, and no other clashes. the 13th could well be a premier league double header of Man Utd v Liverpool, and Arsenal V Man City, with me certain to go to one of them.

Now i'm hopeful the Man U game for some reason is moved to 12.45 sat...so to be able to go to that, race sunday, then get off to Arsenal v City at the emirates at 4pm!

Now that'd be a monumental weekend!

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 15:53
17/10/2012 at 16:15

£8.30 a session! They tell me its because a mondo track is so expensive. I keep pointing out that any money they get from me would be extra though, as there's rarely anyone uses it outside of events and club nights.

I was originally hoping to do 7M at HMP . Legs definitely not up to that after Sunday! The 7th mile would have been close to MP today mind, but I had to stop and tell some guys off who were digging up the pavement but hadn't left the requisite 1.6m for pedestrians - always on duty!

17/10/2012 at 16:15

Bus, are you looking for unrestricted access to Stoke Mandeville?  I've heard that can get people into trouble...

17/10/2012 at 16:28

how do you calculate your HMP by the way Bus?  Pace per mile of your pb, pace per your last half, pace per mile pro rated out from your last flat road race, or just on feel?

17/10/2012 at 16:50
Dachs wrote (see)

Bus, are you looking for unrestricted access to Stoke Mandeville?  I've heard that can get people into trouble...

Now then, now then - most amusing Dachs!

HMP is just 6MM pace, as that's my HM PB...(well, NAD (!) anyway - Paddock wood was just under 6:01 pace!).

Interestingly, this time last year I did races on 3 consecutive weekends with almost no drop in training intensity, ending in taking a big chunk off my 10M PB at Cabbage patch. Can't imagine getting away with that now, but it probably reflects having 5 weeks enforced rest earlier in the year. It suggests there's a lot to be said for taking a proper break every now and again and building back up on fresh legs (though 5 weeks is probably a bit too long!!)

17/10/2012 at 18:37

You'll have to try the 6m HMP on a still day, and see if you can crack it. Not one i'd try in fairness. I'd prefer say a 14miler, that ends with last 6 of 3miles MP, and 3miles HMP. Replicates the knackeredness that comes on with the later mileage, but means you have to purposely get quicker.

Finished watching the england game before evening run. An ugly rememberance that the dark horrible nights are drawing in.

Despite wearing hi vis, idiotic cars still don't stop on zebra crossings, despite me being in the middle of the road crossing.

And how many runners wear black in the dark. Cripes.

17/10/2012 at 19:13

13.83 at lunchtime in a sedate 7:24 pace to bring up 30.47 in three days. Easy tomorrow, day off Friday (go to Cambridge to see #2)  and then parkrun on Sat to leave me mid 40s for the week and nicely getting back into the groove.

Had to call a BMW driver a c**t on Monday as he came to a squealing halt half way across the zebra crossing, window down and on the mobile. Quite good fun baiting him: especially as I was about to run the wrong way down a one way street and there is no way he could follow me. He got out and puffed up his chest but the longer he stood there, the more insults I got in and and the louder all the other road users honked their horns to get him back in his car and out of their way. Did a 6:50 mile after that!

17/10/2012 at 19:19

Forum dad how could you! I can't believe it! I'd have paid good money to see that.

Certainly the time of year for foolarse drivers though.

I suppose it's at times like this we can test the theory that very few people will be able to both outrun us, and beat us up!

17/10/2012 at 19:27

Yep. I was side swiped by an old granny tonight in Great Missenden on my bike! Despite my 900 lumens front light and hi viz, she completely failed to see me at a roundabout, and didn't even notice the force of the impact on my left arm almost breaking her wing mirror off! As she was a VERY old lady I was quite polite to her when I finally got her attention at the next roundabout by opening her door and said "Given that you completely failed to see me more or even notice you drove into me, I really think you should go and see you GP to decide whether you should still be driving Madam!" Her reply, "I'm terribly sorry".....

I then got thoroughly bloody soaked by completely torrential rain! Hey ho.

12,981 to 13,000 of 26,684 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.