Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,001 to 13,020 of 25,257 messages
17/10/2012 at 19:39

haha, this is going to be an awful few months ahead i can feel it.

17/10/2012 at 19:41

can u give me advise on getting faster i can run 5k in 22:20 mins and im 14

17/10/2012 at 19:52

Newbie!

Jordan, how much do you run? If it's not much, add more gently....that'll see you quicker before any kind of specific stuff at all.

17/10/2012 at 20:57
Jordan just add a little bit of comfortable mileage each week. NOTE: "little" bit not loads. most people will get quicker just by running more really. As stevie g says, dont worry about specific stuff yet.
17/10/2012 at 21:06

RE the 'NAD' thing. I see there was a marathon in Liverpool this year classed at NAD. If I trained for and ran a marathon then it got classed as NAD I would be livid. Or do people actually know this is the case beforehand? In which case why enter a NAD marathon? How do races end up as NAD? Surly once the course if certified and measured it doesn't change.

Monday 10, Tuesday 8, Wednesday 12.5 so far this week. Calves are killing. Got that tightness that caused me to stop in that trail race. Had to stop to stretch them out again tonight.

17/10/2012 at 21:11

Stevie, way too much use of the word NAD in one paragraph!

But no, it looks amystery. My pal reckons a bit of offroad got it classified NAD, but surely offroad makes it harder to hit a time, not easier!

I tend to look for my pb races on Power of 10's fixtures. Oxford half was on there, so you would be bloody cheesed if you'd picked it, run it, and got the NAD verdict!

Don't get much calf ache, but if one area must be good for the foam roller that's the one.

17/10/2012 at 22:51
Ahoy there guys I'm still alive & back running. I'd basically strained my piriformis and it was pressing on the siatic nerve, it was literally a pain in the arse. Rather painful when the physio's elbow was required to stretch it out.
But its sorted now. Should be ok for CP, won't be breaking any records though.
Working and doing some Fell training in Isle of Man at the moment, all I can say is its rather hilly over here, last night was 9.5m with 1400ft climbing . Rained hard all day today though & blowing a gale so couldn't face
a run
On the phone so difficult to scan through pages but looks like everyone that has raced recently has done well.couldn't help but run the reaper, a night race, last weekend, it was an insanely tough 5m XC ,took a damn nice glass trophy home so it was worth the mild hypothermia.
18/10/2012 at 08:28
Seb from Rugby wrote (see)
couldn't help but run the reaper, a night race, last weekend, it was an insanely tough 5m XC ,took a damn nice glass trophy home so it was worth the mild hypothermia.

Not sure I am a fan of this type of event, but there is a nice write up on http://www.reaperevents.co.uk/corleynight.html

I like a win by over 4 minutes and you "even had time to stop and take a break for a minute until he set back off for lap two"

18/10/2012 at 08:49

47mins for 5miles I think takes away any doubt about the trickiness of the course Seb!

Trying to quantify that in my head against the hardest races I've ever done, where I've perhaps come out max 4mins slower than the pb over say 10k, and you're coming out perhaps x4+ slower!

Nice win and trophy tho pal, and look forward to meeting you at CP. Do you still race in that blue and black combo vest?

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 08:50
18/10/2012 at 09:30

Bus your experience reminds me why I never cycle.  PMJ, very impressed, nice work!

Foot felt fine to walk on yesterday, so took a risk and went to the track lat night - jogged there (2 miles), foot was sore all the way there.  Did a timed mile (5:04 - not exactly scroching, but in truth I was a little tentative with the foot, so I could have pushed harder).  Then did one of the planned 5 1200 reps, before a combination of ridiculous horizontal rain/hail and foot pain forced me to give up and jog the 2 miles home (still in some pain).

No idea what this is, worst case scenario is a stress fracture.

Upshot is that I'm taking a week off (at the very least) to try to get rid of this for good, and I won't be at CP.  Big shame, was looking forward to meeting those I hadn't met, and seeing those I have met again. I hope you all go well.

This, combined with the cancellation of the NF10 in June, means I won't be able to fulfil my aim set at the beginning of the year of running a sub-60 10 mile.  However, I've gone under 59 at the 10 mile point in a half, so I think I can probably tick that one off.

18/10/2012 at 10:15

Bad luck Dachs. Hopefully something a little quicker to get over than a staress farcture so fingers corssed (did you mean 5:04 by the way? I'd say that was scorching!).

Seb, glad to hear you are back on the mend and in winning form! I'm quite jealous of you being in the IofM - always fancied a bit of running there. Still, sounds like I shouldn't be jealous of the weather!!

SG - if you think that's slow, I've got a race where my course PB averaged 16 min miles!!

18/10/2012 at 10:20
Oh ye thats why I dont cycle, dont miss the drivers constantly "not seeing" us even though you be can lit up like a christmas tree oh an have the right of way.
When out running I tend to assume every driver is blind, this method seems to work pretty well for me. Cant believe liverpool was NAD. found out last night I have been picked for the stockport 10 (north wales team) woohoo. Anyone else doing it.
18/10/2012 at 11:31

Dachs, commiserations pal, pain to start with and increasing pain sounds a fair bit worrying, so i'd get that checked out quick smart.

Hopefully it's just a bit of deep bruising, but what is certain is that if jogging is painful, you can only make it worse here on in.

Those marathons are a dangerous game it seems.

18/10/2012 at 13:20

Just 1x10miler today. Wasn't quite sure i'd be able to get that done in the day, but wasn't fancying an evening one after experiencing the town's goon drivers the other day.

Therefore, when i set off, i think i had a bit of adrenaline knowing i had to get it done sharpish, whilst trying not to go too fast. Therefore, just under 70min for 10 is a bit of a steady one rather than easy, but I figured slightly too fast now does give 1/3 day extra to recover.

Therefore, a lush 1 1/2 day rest period now, 1 more aeasy with strides saturday, and then it's race day.

ps Andy, sorry mate missed that, good work on being selected for NW team. Being selected through your running ability must be a satisfying one.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 13:21
18/10/2012 at 14:09

Cheers Stevie G. i was seriously looking at doing the Telford 10k on the 16th Dec, but with the Stockport 10 on the 9th Dec, i`m wondering if there a bit close to do well in both events. would want a sub 57min 10miler (57:19)if possible. could actually use Telford as a training run i suppose for Helsby half in January maybe by Pacing Ste hayes round.

18/10/2012 at 14:30

come down to CP this sunday, and pace me to a sub 58:24 instead

18/10/2012 at 16:43

I'm not sure Stockport 10 is particularly quick? There are a couple of 10 milers in Stockport, I've never heard anyone say either were quick. I'm pretty sure one of them is a shocker.

18/10/2012 at 17:28

stockport 10m course record is 49.38 (55.51 ladies) so it looks quick enough. but i must admit i thought the same as SS that it wasnt particularly a PB course.

congrats andy on a vest, you couldnt have been far off that target time for the first 10m at lake vrynwy.

Seb - any race that has a rock climb and a trawl under a jetty wading through water in the middle of the night and winning by such a big margin is a class result in my book, congrats

7m tempo for me today 4 @ 5.55 & 3 at 7 ave for warm up/down.  

SG - nice 10m'er - thats my session for tomorrow.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 17:36
18/10/2012 at 18:27
Cheers for the feedback fellas. Llandudno was quick but I started to fade marginally in second half so thats possibly somewhere that could help if it was paced properly/better. Also that was in June (i think) so the fitness should be alot better now *he says*

Dean I reckon it was probably just under 59mins at 10miles in at vyrnwy half.
I'll need too run like I stole something
18/10/2012 at 18:44

Well done on the team selection Andy. Can't iamgine it would be a flat 10M though would it?

13,001 to 13,020 of 25,257 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.