Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,021 to 13,040 of 26,684 messages
18/10/2012 at 20:01

andy - as the race is in stockport the majority of the high street is running like they stole something

Dachs - you know in just about every running book you can buy it has sections about taking reduced mileage and down time....time for a fortnight of pizza/lager/wife time.  Feet up sunshine! not even a 3 mile jog in the first week and get shot of all these niggles that will grow into something if not rested.  My advice is not to tell your wife that you are taking a fortnight off due to injury but rather that you realise the marathon took up a lot of your time and you want to take time out to spend it with the her and the kids.  Should be good for some wife points

18/10/2012 at 20:34

Well done Andy. How does north Wales work out, is that a regional team so like south east England, one step between county and country?

The Bus wrote (see)

SG - if you think that's slow, I've got a race where my course PB averaged 16 min miles!!

Can't manage that slow, did dig out this run with 11:17 average which was 270 metres climb and drop in 5 miles along the coast

18/10/2012 at 20:51
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

andy - as the race is in stockport the majority of the high street is running like they stole something

Dachs - you know in just about every running book you can buy it has sections about taking reduced mileage and down time....time for a fortnight of pizza/lager/wife time.  Feet up sunshine! not even a 3 mile jog in the first week and get shot of all these niggles that will grow into something if not rested.  My advice is not to tell your wife that you are taking a fortnight off due to injury but rather that you realise the marathon took up a lot of your time and you want to take time out to spend it with the her and the kids.  Should be good for some wife points

Or just do what me and SG do and live a monks life with not females in sight

Andy, congrats on the vest, you must be very proud to represent your region. It's a very popular race so a lot of quick runners turn up. I'm hoping to run Llandudno nexy year. Mainly for the fact I love round there anyway!

18/10/2012 at 21:17
Phil, you got it. It's just like that with the english regions. Its exciting though although its scary to think theres only one step up after that. Could in the 10000 in rio with mike rushton out sprinting me ha ha no but seriously its taken a heck of alot of work to get to this standard so its a helluva buzz to do it. Not sure wether to be bothered about the course profile though because A) its the same for everyone. And B) as long as I give it everything out on the course then its okay. The course record is still dam good though.
18/10/2012 at 21:20

Do you get a regional vest for this comp? Yeah, don't worry about the profile just give it everything and you can come away satisfied.

DT2
18/10/2012 at 21:24

just a quick pop in to say good luck at CP to everyone racing obn Sun, really looking forward to the race reports when i get back! last minute packing then of to Amsterdam first thing in the morning, finally decided on race stratergy to get me round in 2.32 and to save that sub 2.30 until next year when im hopefully a bit faster.

Ive also been suffering from Dachs 'pea/foot' issue, been training through it for the last month, eased up a fair bit whilst ive been tapering, no doubt it'll hurt like a b!tch on Monday morning though!

smash Cabbage Patch everyone & see you on the other side guys!

18/10/2012 at 21:26
Stevie see- ye I got a vest for it better get some good consistent weeks in now
18/10/2012 at 22:08

All the best for Amsterdam DT2! Don't go gettign caught up in any coffe shops if you're there for a coulple of days beforehand mind . Sure the MT will sort itself out for Sunday....

dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

Now that's just sneaky Dean - good plan mind!

Andy - you'll need to change your forum pic to you wearing the vest!

Nice profile that Philip. I've done some runs near there and there are certainly a lot of ups and downs!

18/10/2012 at 22:58
Bus- good idea that, look forward to gettin a new profile pic
19/10/2012 at 01:45
Good luck dt2 hope it goes well, 2:32! Legend! Yes I may have had a few beers but after a 5m this morning and a mega hilly 8m this evening I deserve it.
Yeah SG I think* its a dark blue & light blue diagonally coloured vest. What colour is sandhurst? Or have u quit all clubs? I'll find u from your beard profile pic. Hehe
Nice selection for north wales Andy!, better keep training hard eh.

Regarding the night race, it was way better than your usual 10k obstacle course, mostly running through harsh XC terrain with only 5 or 6 proper obstacles thrown in. Much more of a runners race rather than a 'royal marines' race. I only stopped because I though I'd finished so took headtorch off etc only to be told 'go again'!

Need to sleep, beer is bad.
19/10/2012 at 08:34

1:45 in the morning Seb? I only ever see that time these days when I can't sleep

Beer is GOOD, sleep is good too!

19/10/2012 at 08:40

Stevie, depressingly true!

DT2, good luck at the big one. What promised to be a monumental thread day at CP looks likely to just be myself, Seb and Ric though. I'll have to get amongst the MG thread lot instead as about 6 or 7 of them are doing it.

other thing DT2, it was Dean not Dachs with the "pea foot syndrome". We're hoping for Dachs something more serious isn't afoot (allow the unintentional pub)

Seb, sandhurst are red with the club name written on the vest! However, i'm having last min waiverings to an unmarked lighter white vest for some reason. If only to prove I'm capable of wearing it the right way round in a race!

19/10/2012 at 08:49

Seb: you entered a 10k race, and after about 23 or 24 minutes you thought you had reached the end: now tell us about beer being good again.

All the best for Amsterdam DT2 but in my opinion there is no difference betwwen 2:30 and 2:32 so I don't really understand if that is a tactic or sandbagging either us or yourself.

To do a 2:30 and allow a bit of a fade you need to do splits of 74 and 76.
To do a 2:32 and allow a bit of a fade you need to do splits of 75 and 77.

If you do a first half of 75 you are shooting at 2:30 NAD. Any strategy that gets you to the finish in 2:32 will give you a shot at 2:30 as well unless you are going for some ridiculous negative split so set out with a plan of 77-75 so you need a 73 to hit 2:30.

DT2
19/10/2012 at 09:24

ref 'peafootgate' after 6weeks of constant pain, went for a final trot out at 5am this morning......and not a peep out of it! talk about perfect timing!

PMJ, theres no sandbagging there son! just that i'll be very much on the knife edge to go under that time, sounds ridiculous thinking that 2mins can make or break my race but i honestly feel that its that borderline! i'll aim to get to halfway in 76 and make a judgement call from there, to go through half in 74 would plant me in firm 'detonation' ground for the 2nd half!

must dash, good luck to the CP crew again!

19/10/2012 at 09:38

DT2, all the best: as you say 74 after a 76 would be foolish territory to enter. A pair of 76s would look very nice on the mantelpiece.

19/10/2012 at 09:45
All the best DT2, that would be awesome running. Good luck.
19/10/2012 at 10:37

Seb, thought your race was a 5miler not a 10k? Not that it makes huge odds, but I do find Phil's comments funny. He'll sniff out inconsistencies in stories like the stats dog he is

DT2, as good as you are, 74 first half would surely be risky!

However, anyone who calls Phil "son" is a legend in my book

19/10/2012 at 13:02

DT2, all the best for Amsterdam.  I predict that, whether or not you are satisfied by your time, the rest of us here will be suitably impressed.  Excellent news on the demise of the pain too.

Cheers Dean.  Unfortunately, it's too late to pretend that it's a selfless gesture to my wife.  Next time, maybe.

19/10/2012 at 14:37

good luck DT2.

steady 10m in 64.39 for me today.  didnt push any of the miles and just ran to feel.  Happy enough with the effort

19/10/2012 at 16:15

Good pace that dean.

Just off for my long run in a bit - 15 ish on road. Looks pretty unpleasant out though!

13,021 to 13,040 of 26,684 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.