Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,061 to 13,080 of 26,723 messages
21/10/2012 at 10:32

Tracking DT2 and Stephen Fell online at Amsterdam. DT2 seems to be hitting all the splits spot on.

21/10/2012 at 11:36

CP results are now up (very quick!). Looks like some stories to come, and fast forumite times all round but a definite hats off to SG!

(mind you they were all beaten by a V60 )

21/10/2012 at 15:09

Just back now, and what a good day. Met the MG lot, and had a nice post race relaxation with them, met Seb from the thread, had a nice free massage, and hit my best pound for pound race time ever

57:09 for 1min 15 off the pb.

Splits

Having taken 9secs off the 5mile pb 4 weeks ago, I wondered if 18seconds might be a reasonable assumption for 10miles. I didn't give it too much thought, and just went in with the vague idea of needing sub 5.50 per mile ideally sub 5.48.

Having found Seb just before the start, we had a couple of mins of chat, that period where you excitedly chat all manner of guff to deal with the adrenaline, and then we were off.

I started fast but relaxed, and didn't worry at a bunch of runners coming past for the first half mile, as I knew i wasn't overdoing it. A fast, but more sensible first mile of 5.31 versus the 5.24 when less fit last year.

The acid test with the first mile is what's the drop off with mile 2, and only a slight one, so i was pleased and off and rolling.

The next 3 miles were some good running, staying in groups, and using them and dropping them, and still pleased to see each mile was very comfortably coming out below the 5.48 "definite pb" zone required, with plenty in the time bank.

The first half is the faster half, as the later half has a bit more wind, a little bit of almost offroad footing for amile or so, and then a slight incline up some steps. However,my plan was simple, crank each mile hard, and see what we're dealing with. When mile 6 came out well, after some dodgy footing for a stretch, I realised even 6min miling for the last 4miles would see a nice pb. However, certainly wasn't going to settle for that, and actually caught one of Phil's mate's Guy up.

Now, he beats me every race, but i was on top form, and i could sense he was off his game a little. How much so took me perhaps a mile to work out, and then it was clear I actually needed to drop him to get my full potential from this one.

This was a wise move, but did mean I had a couple of miles running pretty much on my own, a large spell where I couldn't even see the guy in front, although come 8miles I could see it was about a 120metre gap.

A slight alarm was that their 9mile marker was at 8.8miles, and I had a sudden fear it might be a short course.

I took my own split at 9miles instead of theirs to make sure I wouldn't get a ridiculous last split!

The last mile when you're on for a big pb is glorious, and I couldn't quite remember where the finish was, but I did ignore some steward telling me there was half a mile to go when I knew it must be 1/4mile!

However, the wonderful finish line, and over it for 57:09, and more importantly 10.01miles on the garmin.

perfect.

The greedy bastad in me started thinkin, was there a sub 57 today, especially as like last year there wasn't much of a sprint finish, but I think that shows it was a good use of energy around the course, rather than trying to make anything up in the last 100.

Great day, certainly my best race time pro rata across the distances by a good way, and definitely in my top 2 or 3 performances ever.

I'm certainly not doing another 10mile flat road race for a good...... 7 days though.

Great South Run next sunday (for those who hadn't guessed from myself and Bus's subtle comments). Live on channel 5, so you can watch us give it some.

Well, that's provided we get there, as time is a leetle tight, and it's a long way! But let's not think about that until at least....tomorrow

21/10/2012 at 15:12

RW won't let me edit that post....bit i forgot was a chap in his 50s in a Metros vest came HURTLING past in the first mile. Thought if that's Ric he's on for a super time!

It was Nigel Rackham though!

Ric, i did look for you after, were you the chap in red shorts, greeting his wife and kid? I think Seb pointed you out, but I wasn't sure!

21/10/2012 at 15:22
awesome racing stevie g!!well enjoyed reading race report.
you will have to come up north and pace me round for a sub 60!
21/10/2012 at 15:22

Great run there SG, gives you a monster PB plus a monster age graded jump up to 78 cf 76 for Victory. How was the surface, seems to be a bit slower as only 53 runners were sub 60 this year versus 80 last year. Tactics have to be hard for Great South Run now, do you just try and nibble those secodns for a 56.xx?

Guy Bowles is runing Frankfurt marathon next weekend so that was just a jog round for the team and to ensure he beats me in the age graded champs at Datchet.

See UG and DT2 had good runs at Amsterdam and also SG's friend from Datchet, Stephen Fell.

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 15:24
21/10/2012 at 15:43

Ta fellas, good to know big pbs are still doable! 10miles just seems to be a distance that the pace seems bang on, doesn't knacker you like the half, and doesn't burn you up. Phil, did you say it was your best distance once? Or was that more 10k through to 10m?

Surface wasn't too bad, because you'd briefed me a little to expect the worst, I was more prepared than last year when i thought what the hell's this mile, when it's the British record course  But yeah a little muddy and puddly, but not too bad. Wind wasn't too bad either.

Follows last year's autumn, 5mile pb, 10k a bit of a chunk over the pb, 10miles, big pb.

Need to crack that 10k really, as I don't want it becoming a big bogey distance! Half marathon at Gosport might be an interesting one to try too.

Guy wasn't at top form, but certainly not jogging  The Datchet boys did really well though, won the team prize, over the mighty Serpentine, who have about 1000 runners! Clearly thier 4th man let them down, as it was top 4 to score, not the 3 your boys feared when i met up with them all after.

UG utterly smashed it, and The Fell had a good race too. Have to check on what DT2 did....i'm sure it'll be shockingly good tho!

Oh yeah...next week, mission1 is to get myself and Bus there. And mission 2 is to get my mug on tv

In seriousness though, I'll race it as hard as I have on the day. Might be a lot to expect to take too much off that, or even match it, but I'll do as well as I can on the day.

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 15:45
21/10/2012 at 15:46

Nothing to be lost for going guns blazing for sub 57 next week SG - if the wheels come off, you've got this week's in the bag still!

Hopefully it's one of those results that becomes a game changer, which CP did for me to some extent last year - though your time today is WAY ahead of that!

21/10/2012 at 15:58
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ta fellas, good to know big pbs are still doable! 10miles just seems to be a distance that the pace seems bang on, doesn't knacker you like the half, and doesn't burn you up. Phil, did you say it was your best distance once? Or was that more 10k through to 10m?

10 miles was my best distance and still seems to be so. Seems to just about get to the point where I have given all and can give no more: any longer and I slow down, any shorter and the top speed is not there. My best age graded is 82% at CP and my 10k is 4th behind Wokingham and Didcot 5. My 10k PB is due for some realignment so when you find that fast course give me a shout as I will be up for it. Battersea on 10th Nov would be good but XC the next day kills that.

21/10/2012 at 16:06

big PB SG - well raced. 

Personally regards next week i would go off hard for a 56.30 pace and see what that brings

21/10/2012 at 16:38
Stevie G . wrote (see)

RW won't let me edit that post....bit i forgot was a chap in his 50s in a Metros vest came HURTLING past in the first mile. Thought if that's Ric he's on for a super time!

It was Nigel Rackham though!

Ric, i did look for you after, were you the chap in red shorts, greeting his wife and kid? I think Seb pointed you out, but I wasn't sure!

Hi Guys, Hi SG. Fantastic result for you. But for some wet leaves and mud, my prediction for you was only one second per mile out.  

Yes that was me SG. Sorry I missed you. I wasn't aware of much or anything at the finish.

So my race then, hmm. I'd hoped that the virus and minor infection I've had lately wouldn't affect me too much but by the time the first mile was passed (5:36) I was already thinking 'salvage job'. The split time at 5 miles was like last year 28:45 but was feeling really grotty. No matter how much I tried to relax, I couldn't get remotely comfortable. I would have dropped out before 4 miles given the choice. As anyone will relate, the mile markers were all over the place. Seeing the split at 9 miles I thought I'd at least manage to beat last years time. Its always seems the last mile in a race is the longest. Today it really was. Felt ill for a while at the finish and went straight home.  Also seem to have strained a adominal muscle.

So 2nd V50 again. Behind Nigel Rackham. Who has spent 6 months with a stress fracture and only started running again in June. 

Garmin was sodding about and had me down as 5:08 1st mile, 10.12 finish.

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 16:41
21/10/2012 at 17:09

Commiserations Ric, and I'm sure you won't take it in any way as patronising when I saythis, but  a 58;xx in your 50s, not feeling at all great is still a terrific outcome!

I found the splits pretty spot on in the main, it was just that 9th mile marker that was a worry. I make sure I take the auto lap off, as I don't want it to clock a mile, and then when i take the marker split, I look and see 2seconds or something.

Thinking salvage job at 1mile isn't a good place to be tho, so well played for seeing it through!!

And fair play to you, your prediction was incredibly close!! Maybe I should have more positivity from the off!

Dean, thanks buddy...56:30 pace...phew!!

Phil, we might have to postpone the 10k attempt this year unless we sacrifice one of the XCs to do an Oxfordshire 10k.

Otherwise Feb and March look to have a couple of real renowned fast courses if you're up for an 80miler...Chichester or Eastleigh look good.

ps ok ok, I've done the classic new "breaking ground" McMillan calculation...and it reckons the below are possible

5k    16.12
10k  34:12
half  1:16:12

Oh behave. 

Should 100% mean a sub 17 5k, and sub 35 10k are very much on indeed tho

35:20 10k pb is 5:41 a mile, and today was 5:42!

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 17:10
21/10/2012 at 18:07

for one ugly moment i feared CP wasn't going to be on PO10. But the default setting is "Track/10k/HM/Mar/XC", and you have to change this to "road" to see other distances.

phew

21/10/2012 at 18:33

Cheers SG, for one reason or another, after the race the three Vet winners V40, V50 & V60 came over for a brief chat. They also seemed to think that my result was more than Ok. Actually, on the 'age grade performance' it is my best result ever! at 86.37%. And it is still faster than I ran here in 1989. Shame we can't still boot it up the Petersham Road. Instead we have to endure a rocky mud trail and a climb to the last bridge that only the Bus could appreciate. 

In the race I could see a tall figure in red moving away. I guessed that might be you. But I couldn't see you much after a couple of miles.

Garmin splits gave me a time at seven miles that averages out at 35:43 for 10k, but then again!

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 18:42
21/10/2012 at 18:40

PO10 is updated.

86+% WAVA is exceptional to say the least. I think 80% is a good line to class yourself as pretty darn good, and you're well over that.

I need to gain just under 2% to get to that 80% benchmark. Although in fairness, I like my round numbers in times not percentages!

It is an interesting couple of miles that CP throws in. It's still the UK record course though, so that must say a lot.

The MG guys suggested Thirsk is a faster course. You'd have possibly thought the Great South Run might have a chance too, but we'll judge that next week

21/10/2012 at 18:53

I suspect Richard Neuruker set the record when it was all on the road. One of my club mates was there and said when RN was warming up, he appeared to bounce a foot off the ground each time his foot touched down. 

I used to live in Southsea and would rate the GSR surface as much faster than the CP. The main problem is the wind that invariably blasts along the sea front. The same envronment as on the Gosport peninsular. In my diary of that time I recorded a couple of mile intervals on the seafront, very windy, same effort. 5:30 one way, 6:30 the other.

21/10/2012 at 18:55

argh just lost my post

Good to see you today SG, cracking time! guess thats what happens when you have me & Ric & 1600 other people chasing you.. and train well!

Im suprised to hear you thought you had a bad race Ric, 2nd in category and not a bad time. Most of the race I wondered whether I could catch you, but it looked like you had a poor mile around 6~7 whihc allowed me to gain.

It took me about 15 secs to start my watch at the beginning of the race, I'd vowed not to blast it off too hard, and just let SG drift away,  going through 1m in 5:37, just behind Ric. Settled down in miles 2 & 3, nearly drifting off the target pace of 5:54min/mile, doing a 5:49 then a 6:00, wasn't sure which way the race was going to go at this point, I still had time in hand on my target but Ric & SG had kept going into the distance, and I didnt feel like I could go much faster,  was nearly running on my own but the 4th lady caught me up and the next few miles we stuck together. I did miles 4-8 all around 5:54. at some point within those miles I started to overtake runners, clawing back upto 100yards to pass the 3rd lady and Ric at around 7.5miles, this gave me abit of a boost then at 8miles an old training patner came past who wasnt even racing just though he'd run along for the training. which dragged me along for abit. I picked up the pace but was running alone, doing mile 9 in 5;46 and a decent last mile of 5:35. I was really happy to cross the line in 58:18 , not bad for a first 10 miler off the back of an injury and mostly easy training!

I think I paced it really well with a really stable bunch of middle miles and a couple of adrenaline fuel miles before and after. A great race would recommend it, shame more of us couldnt make it to raceday.

splits 5:37, 5;49, 6:00, 5:55, 5:54, 5:53, 5:55, 5:54, 5:46, 5:35

Next race national XC relays in 2 weeks time, let the training continue..

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 18:59
21/10/2012 at 18:57

That sounds a likely theory actually, as when the winner was getting his prize I heard it was a "course record", which of course means that there was an "old" course.

Therefore, I'll trot down to Portsmouth on Sunday thinking "faster course", rather than "job already done", or "possibly windy".

Not unsurprisingly, have an easy week this week. Tuesday and Friday off, and 6miles the longest run.

Have a duty drive to Norwich on Friday for a funeral. That'll make the Portsmouth drive feel like popping down the shops!

21/10/2012 at 20:30

Seb - bearing in mind the disrupted training and injury i think thats a very decent return. congrats.

21/10/2012 at 20:42

Seb! how did you sneak that post in, I completely missed it!

Good to see you, helps having such a distinctive racing vest. Sorry it wasn't too long at the finish, but after you met your pal, I got wooed into the massage room for my first ever sports massage, although apparently post race ones are only light waste removal jobs.

Your splits are almost the perfect mirror image! Mile 1 and 10 within 2 secs of each other, miles 2 and 8 within 3 secs of each other and a mere 3second range between 5 of the other 6miles, startingly good pacing from mile 4 to 8!

Cracking race report too.

Shame there weren't more of this thread there agreed, it did look like a right old meet up at one stage.

How far did you travel today? What's your travelling range? Are there any fast gems of races in the midlandish area you can let us in on?

ps your bit about your old pal just running one bit of the route, reminded me of a couple of kids somewhere between miles 7 and 8.

One kid thought he'd try and keep pace. He was about 7 so lasted about 2metres, and another blooming kid walked straight across my path just before the steps/incline. That could have been unfortunate!!

Edited: 21/10/2012 at 20:45
13,061 to 13,080 of 26,723 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.