Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,141 to 13,160 of 26,711 messages
25/10/2012 at 15:05

swimming is one of those bad things...something dependent on technique...last time i went, i had a really tight sore chest for about 4 days. Never good when you tell people you have a tight sore chest, gives the wrong impression, of something abit more serious!

25/10/2012 at 15:26

Dachs, I often get cramping in my calves when swimming - never been able to figure out why when the legs are hardly used! UG would have an answer no doubt.

Intervals at lunch for me - 6 x 0.5M off 90 secs in 2:53, 2:51, 2:47, 2:47, 2:48, 2:48. Tried to keep them slightly easier than normal for Sunday. Unfortunately though, I seem to have a slight pull in my left calf. Hopefully nothing serious that a couple of days rolling, icing and stretching won't sort in time. Head cold seems to be on the way out now thank goodness.

25/10/2012 at 15:32

Bit close to target race day for reps Bus

They look like 5k pace jobs too.

Hopefully things ease off though, I'll be bringing some deep heat too!

25/10/2012 at 17:50

Yeah - it was supposed to be done on Tuesday to give a bit more time for recovery. I was in two minds, but thought what the heck, and hoped having two days off at the beginning of the week would make up for it! Last year I had really sore quads the day before Cabbage Patch after a bit of a tough week, but that all came good in the end!

25/10/2012 at 18:15

it's funny the weaknesses runners have.

Quad and calves only remind me that they exist after a tough or long race. Whereas hamstring/glute and latterly hip can be up and down.

Currently feeling quite tight, though perfectly runnable.

Should probably do some extra stuff on the calves and quads just in case they're causing anything in the other areas...as if the post race strengthening bit isn't long enoug!

IronCat5    pirate
25/10/2012 at 18:20

Good reps Bus.

When I restarted swimming Jan11 I found it very hard. Then I found that the slower I went, the easier it was, and the faster I got.

Last night's FIRST 5 x 800 of 3min/400m RI turned in to 5 x 500m/300m RI (ran with tri club). I ended up in the slow group, albeit at the front (fast group did 600m/200m RI); legs were knackered from Tuesday's LFR.

400m target is 1:28 so went for 1:50 for the 500m: 1:50, 1:52, 1:54, 1:47, 1:51. 3rd rep is always the slowest for me. They all hurt.

25/10/2012 at 19:42

Thanks IC. Hurting is what they are all about I guess

Does anyone keep track of their weight? I never used to, except occasionally when visitng my mums, and I always seemd to be about 10.5 stone. When we went on holidays though, we had a strict baggage allowance so I bought some scales. Weighed myself tonight and I seem to have put on nearly half a stone . I know tha scales aren't all the same, but its a big jump - I blame all my Mrs recipe testing recently, and constantly being hungry at work leading to extra cake and pastry gobbling!

Can't be good for my speed on Sunday though or dragging that extra lard up the Marlo half hills!!

IronCat5    pirate
25/10/2012 at 19:52

I guess I almost look forward to each rep, but don't like the finality of the start line.

Before the IM I was almost sub 10st. Even though I was eating correctly and snacking all day. Now a nominal 10.5 ish, sometime more, never less. Mrs Cat bakes cakes too, so beginning to bulge around the middle again, especially when working from home.

For me it's alcohol that packs the pounds on. I'll go without in Jan, then be on reduced intake again from Feb through the season. Apart from the odd blow out session

25/10/2012 at 20:39

Bus, never cared about weight. But then I am a streak of. p!55.

I also think it's something you can get obsessed by, and then you risk going down a dodgy path. We measure pace and mileage, if we also muck about recording weight, pulse rate etc, it also surely stops being fun.

Got a day off tomorrow, but a monster 6 or so hour round trip to Norwich for a funeral. Now that's going to be a fun day. Not.

Therefore, i'm trying not to be too grumpy with various threads. One guy whose name is something like "5k running coach" or something seems to keep popping up on different threads offering the running equivalent of get rich quick schemes.

Getting much quicker over 5k in a week seems to be his faintly ridiculous angle.

IronCat5    pirate
25/10/2012 at 20:56

Sorry to hear about tomorrow SG.

I think I've seen some of the threads from the 5k guy. How much quicker can I get in a week? All help needed!

On that note, too much work travel, a monster bike on Sat where I bonked, and 2 days 'hard' running have left me empty. Today is a rest day.

25/10/2012 at 21:03

I've just done my first session in over 2 months so I'm as excited as writing a race report! Did 4 x 5mins on the track. Reps were 0.94, 0.92, 0.90, 0.91 (in miles). So pace was between 5:20 and 5:30 per mile. Recoveries were 3 mins. Felt great and covered a lot of ground! Not bad after a 2 hour run yesterday! I'm tempted to abandon my base phase and get straight back in... !?

Bus, nice consistent reps as ever. You do love a 0.5 mile sess don't you? Any reason for this? Do you do the same route so you can monitor improvments over time?

Weight wise I lost half stone from starting running I was 10.5 (with a few bits of excess around the tummy) now I'm just under 10st with no visable fat and I've obviously gained a lot of muscle mass on my legs.

25/10/2012 at 21:15

good paces Stevie, but you're surely not in base if you're doing that kind of session

Under 10 stone, how tall is that out of interest? 5ft 9 ish?

Just thinking about a guy on general who is 6ft 3, and 8 stone something! The photos were seriously worrying. 

25/10/2012 at 21:23

funnily enough I also get cramping in the calves whilst swimming! Its a really bad cramp! If I leave it too long before stretching it can actually lead to a tight muscle for several days, not good.

Nice even reps Bus & IronCat

has DT2 been on post-amsterdam yet?

Need to change the reading on my scales as they say KG's at the moment and Im around 72kg. so 158lbs?

Back on the threshold & interval training sessions now, Tuesday 5 x 1200m with 400jog.

To Cut a long story short, at the club today I got a new training partner and we've also broken away from the middle distance group to form our own new long distance group. He's basically insane.On the tuesday when I did the 1200's he did 10 x 1km with 200 jog @ 5km racepace. (79's)

Today we trained together & did a tempo 3 x 2m @ 5:40pace,turned out 11:15, 11:11 & 10:58. he did a fourth rep! SG i have no Idea how your going to do that session on your own, on the road! I could hardly walk properly afterwards

Slow ! Easy run tomorrow I think!

25/10/2012 at 21:30
A bit late but great running at cp ric and SG. Low 57 is showing serious improvement SG. I reckon 76 for u at gosport. I'm still thinking about whether to go or not.

Steviesee after going so long without track myself earlier this year I can understand your glee.

I only went and got sick before abingdon last week. Sick as a dog Thursday and Friday. Still feeling rotten on race day but resting hr was back to only 10 beats above normal so decided to run although still coughing and sneezing plenty. Net result was 2.55 with a fair bit in reserve. About as good as I could have expected under the circumstances. Makes me really want to try and smash a marathon soonish but Portsmouth coastal in December is the only one coming to mind and its MT on po10.

I have a real geeky spreadsheet that tracks everything from training plan, interval session history, weight, resting hr, mileage on each pair of shoes etc. Sad stuff.
25/10/2012 at 21:33

One session a week SG to keep the legs ticking over. In fact circumstances dictated it and I couldn't face another dark run around the bypass pon my own. I'm 5'10, BMI is low end of average. Think it's 19.8 or summit.

25/10/2012 at 21:38

Top running Seb, that sounds a horrendous session to try, unless you had long recoveries in between.

And to answer your question, well I wouldn't try 3x2mile tempo on the track, let alone the road, and certainly not way above the target pace

That 5.29 last pair is 55:25 pace for 10miles, and you've just done a 58:15(ish) 10miler!

You sure you're training with the right guy? What are his pbs like? Could bring you to new pbs, but could bring you to injury!!

25/10/2012 at 22:02

Jeez Stevie - you must be even more of a streak of P!55 than SG - I'm 5'8" and weigh 3/4 stone more (and all though I'm moaning, I don't exactly carry a lot of fla!). Still, if you can pull off that session today, you're doing something right - very quick! My 0.5M intervals are just cos I don't use a track, and measure them on a Garmin - easier to set it to 0.5M than 800m without having to change all the units - in Po10 speak I should say 800m NAD I guess!  Usually done on a cycle route with minimal road crossings and flattish.

Seb - your new partner is obviously insane - 4 x 2M at the pace, sheesh...

Warren - a pretty solid result at Abingdon given the run up to the race. I have a similar spreadsheet - tracks everything except weIght and heart rate...has proven handy for proving the miles done in a pair of shoes falling apart prematurely!

25/10/2012 at 22:30

Good marathon all things condidered Warren

I will be more careful in the future not drifting off my target pace, the last rep was 5:35 1st mile 5:25 2nd mile. I just put in a fast last 300 at the end to boost race finishing speed. so really the pace over all the miles was 5:35 avg. Fast yes, but not absurd. Training partner does all sorts, titles include UK double Ironman champ and 100km rowing world record , running PB's mid 33's, low 56 10m, Low 1:14 half , mid 2:47 Full

IronCat5    pirate
25/10/2012 at 22:37
Seb from Rugby wrote (see)

Training partner does all sorts, titles include UK double Ironman champ and 100km rowing world record , running PB's mid 33's, low 56 10m, Low 1:14 half , mid 2:47 Full

Hywel someoneorother?

25/10/2012 at 22:47
Yep
13,141 to 13,160 of 26,711 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.